Cooling an NF7-S

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TheMedic00

Cooling an NF7-S

Post by TheMedic00 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:08 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and need some help if possible. I use a Volcano to cool my AMD 2100+ on my Abit NF7-S board, but lately my ears have been ringing from the noisy fans and I am worried about damaging my hearing. I am going to get a Zalman ZMNB47J Northbridge cooler to remove the NB fan, and I would like to get a heatsink that will be efficient and quiet, while not interfering with the NB cooler. I am most worried about getting a heatsink that won't fit on the mobo with that cooler, or would get in the way of a video card (9700 pro) or something. Thanks for your help... as you can see, I can use any advice you have to offer.

mai9

Post by mai9 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:06 am

I have this mobo and a Zalman 6000, I also changed the chipset fan for a zalman, it touches the heatsink, but it fits without problems.

here are some photos:

http://www.lacomunitat.net/blog.php?id=3465

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:51 am

TheMedic00, welcome to SPCR!

That cpu won't be too hard to cool quietly; what type of budget are you on? On the low end I can recommend the Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2.1 TC, on the other end you indeed want to check clearance issues for the really good ones (Thermalright SI-97, Zalman 7000, etc); can't help you there unfortunately. What other components do you have? What kind of temps are you getting? How is the overall noise? In what other way can we help you? :D

edz

Post by edz » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:07 am

I'm using an SLK 900u + ZM-NB32J on a NF7-S

photos

TheMedic00

Post by TheMedic00 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:22 pm

Thanks guys! I came to check the board expecting no replies, but not only did I get some good ones, but you guys are very friendly. I don't want to mod anything to get the parts to fit, so I don't think cutting pieces off would work for me.
I would budget around $75 - $100 to get this computer quieter, as it absolutely roars. I don't expect silence, I just wanted to make it bearable. My temps aren't that great, even with the noise. I have a Lian-Li PC60, and bought some Vantec fans for it. I don't use a fan on the hole on the top of the case, but I would if it helped temps (I don't have a clue). Right now my mobo says 55 C, which is after about 2 hours under 100% cpu usage. Not a great temp, even for an Athlon as far as I know. The system temps stay around 30 C.
Also, which would you recommend: the Zalman NB32J or the ZMNB47J?
I will look through the pics and I await any other help you guys can give me =)

TheMedic00

Post by TheMedic00 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:16 am

Alright, I wanted to run my decision by you guys to make sure I won't be getting myself into more trouble than it's worth. I am going to get the Zalman 6000 Cu and the Zalman passive NB cooler (not sure which one still... can anyone recommend one over the other?). My biggest question now is whether the heavy heatsink will be something to worry about. If I move my PC, will it be in danger? I am going to be moving in the next 3-6 months, and I don't want to hear my heatsink crunching through my Radeon etc. Once again, thanks for the help.

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:31 am

I would suggest a ThermalRight XP90, as its much more effective than the Zalman cooler and lighter. The only negative is that it requires a bit of care when fitting. I'd combine this with a good 92mm fan - lots of recommendations on this site e.g. Panaflo FBA09A12L1A, or Nexus, and a Zalman fanmate.

You'll find lots of stuff on this site to help you on your way to quieter computing.

Good luck

AndyP

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:47 am

I think you mean the SI-97? The XP-90 doesn't fit socket A.

I agree, I have a Zalman CNPS7000Cu and I recommend the SI-97 above it! The Zalman is quiet @5V BUT its disadvantages are it's heavy, it's more expensive and the main reason is you're kinda stuck with the stock fan unless you're willing to put a bit of effort in. I'd much rather have the freedom of fan choice and the potentil to upgrade to something else should some kind of all conqoring quiet fan emerge some day :p

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:53 am

Doh! Thanks for that Jordan, shame I just ordered one for my socket A box.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:42 am

I'd also advise you to go with the SI97. From your temps, I'm guessing you have a Palomino core and the 2100+ Palomino is one very hot chip. SI97 with a Nexus would do wonders.

I'm also guessing that you didn't touch your Radeon 9700 Pro. The fan on that card is a screamer - as loud as your CPU fan. You'll also need to do something about that and unfortunately all of them require a bit of work.

I'd recommend the NB47J if you do any sort of overclocking the FSB (doubtful if your CPU is indeed a Palomino)

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:30 am

Something that wasn't mentioned here but is all over the forums: Vantec fans are LOUD! My previous Lian Li (6089) had a blow hole in the top too, a fan there is as good as useless, in fact, it starved my psu from cold air. You can however use the opening as a cold air duct for your cpu, that can work wonders. I've found the standard Lian Li Adda fans not too bad when undervolted... not in league with Nexus of panaflo though. Whatever case fans you decide to use, soft-mount them to reduce case vibrations. If your PC60 is anything like my 6089 was, that will do you a world of good. Also, the standard back fan grill is pretty restrictive, you could cut consider cutting that out as well... but that is more like a finishing touch.

I would not get the Zalman 6000; that was a good idea 2 years ago but it has been surpassed by more up-to-date products. The 47J is a good idea, installed lots of those and never had any problems. The SI-97 is a very good bet I think and should fit your budget nicely. After that, take care of the 9700 (does the original Silencer, rev. 3, fit that a 9700? If so, that's what I would get).

TheMedic00

Post by TheMedic00 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:12 pm

Thanks... I did some more research and can't believe I almost passed on the SI-97. It is exactly what I'm looking for. The chip is indeed a Palomino, so I will need the extra cooling. Here is my new proposed purchase:
SI-97 with Nexus 92mm Real Silent
Zalman ZMNB47J

Will the Nexus be enough to cool the heatsink? From what I have read, it will, but I haven't seen anything about using this combo on a Palomino in particular.

I will save the case mods and Radeon mod for another time. Also, the Vantecs are "stealth" fans; I know they aren't as good as Nexus/Panaflo, but I hope they will be acceptable when hooked to a fan controller. If this goes well, I can see a few more complicated mods in my future :)

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:14 pm

You will, silence is addictive :) The Nexus will be fine, don't worry. It is actually a good idea to take this silencing business one step at a time, so you can learn as you go along. I still recommend soft-mounting the fans though, <5 minutes work and it made quite a change in my old Lian Li. Just use some pieces of foam and get a mod-for-free!

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:05 am

"Also, the Vantecs are "stealth" fans"

Just coz it says that on the box doesn't mean it's true. Even on a fan controller they arn't the quietest. Alwys better to go for a Panaflo. If you really get into this silinecing thing you'll be replacing them soon enough :)

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:18 am

Don't bash the Vantec Stealths. They're the true marker of a silent enthusiast - I mean when they're no longer on the PC. :D :D

I'm sure every one of us has at one point made the mistake of buying a Stealth. At one point I advised Mike to base his recording/speaker matching test on the Stealths. A newbie is much more likely to have one than a proper Panaflo or Nexus :)

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:27 am

Yeah they're much more readily available and when you have nothing to compare it with or no source of info (like this here site/forum) you have to just take the manufacturers word for it.

I purchased one but it was when I was well educated in silencing. It was for someone elses PC who wanted decent airflow but not a scremaer of a fan. For that purpose I can't think of a fan that fits the description better! For someone who doesn't give a crap about quietness then it's a decent choice :)

TheMedic00

Post by TheMedic00 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:40 pm

Sigh.... I already ditched the Vantec idea and bought Panaflo L1A's. I hope that isn't a mistake. Oh well, I would rather do it right the first time, even if it means I wasted the 30 or so bucks on the Vantecs. I knew they were "stealth" and not super quiet... what I didn't realize is that there were superior fans available for less money. Live and learn.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:35 pm

Sell the Vantec's on eBay :)

You'll love those Panaflo's, I gurantee it.

TheMedic00

Post by TheMedic00 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:38 pm

OK, I have placed my order. I just wanted to give everyone another big thank you. I will post on this thread again when I have everything set up (which may be a few weeks or more) or if I run into difficulties. THANKS!

Mikael

Post by Mikael » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:18 am

TheMedic00 wrote:Will the Nexus be enough to cool the heatsink? From what I have read, it will, but I haven't seen anything about using this combo on a Palomino in particular.
Well, here's what I use to cool my AthlonXP-M @ 2.3GHz and 1.6V (should be just as hot or hotter than your CPU):

Thermalright SLK-900A
ADDA 92mm 1600RPM 15dB

The CPU gets 50-55C during Prime95 torture test and that's with very little case ventilation. :) I have tried to disable all fans in the case (including those in the PSU), so that only the CPU fan and graphicscard fan are running (the graphicscard has a 12dB 1500RPM Papst 80mm fan). With this config and my Seagate 7200.7 the computer is almost completely noiseless. It's hard to tell if it's on or not from a few meters away. So, I'd say that the SI-97 will make for a very quiet CPU cooling solution. The only problem is to make the rest of the computer quiet...