Econo Socket A Heatsink ; Silent and Powerfull

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NigthStalker

Econo Socket A Heatsink ; Silent and Powerfull

Post by NigthStalker » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:41 pm

Hello , im looking for a heatsink that isn't too expensive for my AMD XP-M 2500+ OverClocked , the ThermalRight ones are pretty expensive...
I don't really mind if it isn't really silent , but not to noisy to , unlike the Volcano Series , that can got up to 55 dBa.

Thanks

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:00 pm

As I wrote here
sthayashi wrote:
NigthStalker wrote:Yeah maybe...

But , apart from the SI-97 HS , what other HS\Fan could i use to cool the overclocked XP-M 2500+ ? ( that is non-Thermalright and non-Zalman )
Alpha PAL8055 w/ an L1A or M1A undervolted will work alright.

NigthStalker

Post by NigthStalker » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:12 pm

Oups didn't see that post , i might have problems finding the Alpha HS tho.

And if anyone has an idea whitch is better , between the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ , the Thermaltake Volcano 9 and the Thermaltake Volcano 12.
I think the Thermalright HS are pretty expensive.

Thanks.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:20 pm

A volcano 9 is just a volcano 7 with an improved mounting system and a slightly different fan, a volcano 7+ usus a 70mm heatsink and probably has overly tightly packed fins, a volcano 12 would appear to be just a silent boost with more tightly packed fins.
Last edited by mathias on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:22 pm

Mathias : volcano 12 also has an obnoxious fan.

Nightstalker : get a falconrock from newegg. search the forum for falconrock on artcic cooling copper silent. Both are good esp if you cant find the alpha or get a thermalright.

NigthStalker

Post by NigthStalker » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:27 pm

Arg , im minor so i can't get stuff from web , and don't talk about money order ,COD , or Bank draft , im not going to order online.
And 2 , Thermalright sell from 60 to 90 $ over here ( Canadian , Montreal, Microbytes, and LCI [ www.microbytes.com / www.shoplci.com ]

An about the Volcano fans , just get the cheapest of the 3 ? Or get a V 9 ?
Or is obnoxious a way of saying powerfull aroung here :P

And what compagnie is the best ? CoolerMaster or Thermaltake ?
'
Oh and im looking for Socket A HS...
''

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:36 pm

At Shop LCI, they carried a Spire Falconrock II. This is in the class of relatively quiet inexpensive coolers, though not necessarily the absolute best of cooling and quiet.

NigthStalker

Post by NigthStalker » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:43 pm

whatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhat !
didn't see this HS ... damit ... and it's not expensive , just in my price ... just g2g check the Spire website....

I wonder if this HS will do the job for the overclocking and all see ...

... back.... look promising , good CFM , whit low RPM ( considering 6000 RPM from Volcano HS ) , good noise lvl ( no comment ) , nice desing , but no thermal grease supplied ( a part from the pre-applyed ) , and im sort of NewBie whit what it take to cool and overclocked CPU :S

Thanks

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:54 pm

NigthStalker wrote:... back.... look promising , good CFM , whit low RPM ( considering 6000 RPM from Volcano HS )
Yeah, that's why you don't want a 6 or 7 cm fan. Lots of 8 and 9.2 cm fans that come with heatsinks will still be loud, but at least you can replace one if you're unhappy with it.

NigthStalker

Post by NigthStalker » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:01 pm

the RPM isn't really important , it isn't a fixed point , you can have 15 CFM whit 2000 RPM and 30 CFM whit 1000 RPM , it's not like the CFM.
But anyway i taugh about taking the noisy ( due to the case grill ) fan and put it on it ( blue led :P ) and take the stock fan and find a spot for it.

Thanks

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:02 pm

NigthStalker wrote:but no thermal grease supplied ( a part from the pre-applyed ) , and im sort of NewBie whit what it take to cool and overclocked CPU :S
You're better off without it anyways. The best grease is Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique. Truthfully, it's not all THAT much better, but it'll probably come in a more easily reusable package (in case you screw up) and it's generally easier to clean up (at least I know that the Ceramique is).

That stuff you can usually find in brick & mortar stores, so I'd look around locally for that.

NigthStalker

Post by NigthStalker » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:10 pm

Yeah , thats what i taught , and im sure im gunna screw up someway or an other and need more grease. But do i need to crack my a.s.s to find Ceramic or Artic Silver5 ? or just get generic grease ?, it's 7.5 W /m-k , 10 % silver and Artic Silver5 is 9 W / m-k and is 90% silver ,,,,

And i think that the HS will be good for my ... use

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:23 am

Well, it's a matter of preference. Use the generic stuff for now. The AS usually only gives about 1-2C difference at most. Proper application is far more important.

I've found this page to be quite helpful in proper TIM application.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:32 am

Whatever you do DON'T use the thermal pad stuck on the bottom of the falconrock.

If you can come up with some way of mounting a slow 92mm on top of the falconrock and undervolt it to 5V, you'll get excellent cooling with little noise. Right now, I'm using a 92mm fan without brackets from a Zalman7000, running at 3.3V on a 70W Palomino CPU, temps are around 42C (24C ambient, board not in case)

NigthStalker

Post by NigthStalker » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:29 pm

Undervolting doesn't go whit overclocking ... and an other thing NOT to do , REuse the stock thermal grease pad , even worst :P

And 2 things sthahashi , when your TIM guide says clean surface whit rubbing alchool , does he mean using a drop of it on a thoot pick or using a alchooled up tissue ?
and 2 , there should be an Econo / Cheap Hardware place in here.

And btw , the Spire looks prommising , but waht about the XDream III ?
http://www.ocia.net/reviews/xdreamiii/page1.shtml

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:40 pm

NigthStalker wrote:And 2 things sthahashi , when your TIM guide says clean surface whit rubbing alchool , does he mean using a drop of it on a thoot pick or using a alchooled up tissue ?
and 2 , there should be an Econo / Cheap Hardware place in here.

And btw , the Spire looks prommising , but waht about the XDream III ?
http://www.ocia.net/reviews/xdreamiii/page1.shtml
1) Use an alcohol'ed up lint-free cloth. Tissues will work in a pinch, but they can leave behind fibers if you're not careful.
2) As was made rather apparent to me by your initial post, we have two different opinions on what's Econo/Cheap. In all frankness, I think it'll be interesting to see just how much of an overclock you can get with cheap and quiet hardware.

3) I loathe to suggest anything that hasn't been directly reviewed here on SPCR. The Silent Boost was rumored to be half decent, but I remain skeptical on it (Thermaltake Silent Boost uses a Panaflo M1A on that heatsink). I do NOT trust the sound numbers that was in that particular review. And that reviewer did not use very quiet components in his system (check out the northbridge fan and the VGA cooler. No mention of the hard drive either).

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:55 pm

Don't be prejudiced to undervolting. Both fanwise & CPUwise.

I said, I run a Falconrock ($14 for me :) ) with a discard 92mm Zalman fan running on 3.3V !!! The CPU I use it on is a Palomino that puts out 70W. You're going to use it on a Mobile CPU with nearly half the power output at stock with IIRC larger surface area. You SHOULD be able to overclock and still use an undervolted 92mm fan on top of it - if you can figure out how to secure the fan - mine is way too ghetto :)

A surprised note to ALL on TIM cleaning:
Just as I was about to do some heatsink swapping, I found out that my removal liquid (the thingie that comes with AS) had dried out and I had no alcohol on hand. Remembering an ancient thread where it was mentioned that a company sold melamine foam as a cleaning sponge, I tried cleaning off old TIM with a "finger" from my melamine sound-insulation foam. WOW!!! As good as alcohol and WAY faster & easier. Excellent results too. Copper surface & CPU surface both shiny like a mirror after ONE sweep !!! Incredible.

NigthStalker

Post by NigthStalker » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:11 pm

So i should go for the FalconRock II if i get you guys right ? It's better than the XDream III right ? right ?

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:34 pm

I had the FalconrockII until recently. Depending on your noise tolerance it should be fine. I was running an AthlonXP1700+ at 2200+ speeds on it, undervolted with Zalman Fanmate to about 9v. At full speed, it was a bit too loud for my taste, but less than most stock HS units. The fan that comes with it is not the best, but far from the worst. Runs 200RPM at stock voltage.

When I first got it, I was also looking at that vortex dream, it comes with a fan control from what I remember, but I have no way of comparing performance.

The Falconrock will be fine for your current CPU, if you plan to upgrade, you may need to upgrade the HSF too. My eventual upgrade to a Thermalright SLK900A let me run the same CPU with a 5v fan and lower temps, obviously they are not in the same class though.

NigthStalker

Post by NigthStalker » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:09 pm

so what , the FalconRock won't be good enuf for AMD XP-M 2500+ overclocked.
I think actually i AM going to go tru removing the moto ( god please help me on this one ) cuz i see that i actually DO have the 4 screw holes for the Zalman HS , and they fit my budget , tightly , but illl do.
Ill remove the case grills while am at it , if i can find the right tools , cuz how can get the ...thinys... in to smart cutting , make a whole ?

And , i'm thinking about buying the 7000B AlCu , but does the transparent Blue led change the noise lvl and suff ? 9 read that transparent amkes noise ... )

NigthStalker

Post by NigthStalker » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:31 pm

Breaking News :

I ordered the AMD XP-M 2500 OEM and the Zalman 7000B AlCu finally today
And i came at 204 $ canadian ( i know not cheap ) but atleast ill have a decent PC , or w/e you call it.

EdT

Post by EdT » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:02 pm

NigthStalker wrote:Breaking News :

I ordered the AMD XP-M 2500 OEM and the Zalman 7000B AlCu finally today
And i came at 204 $ canadian ( i know not cheap ) but atleast ill have a decent PC , or w/e you call it.
You paided too much in my opinion !

NigthStalker

Post by NigthStalker » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:31 pm

i know i know , but what can i do about it ?order it online and pay 180 ( 20 $ less ) and then pay 15 $ shipping and 5 $ money order ?
sad but as i said , i'll get a speedy pc , and i can finally tell my friend :
" HahA ! i got a PC better than yours , and it's noiseless " ( LOL ) :P
, i whon't actually say that to him...

And the next step is wire sleeving.... anyone got a good montreal area / laval area shop that sells blue wire sleeve ? (seriously) Hey ?

Thanks for your help guys , now ill go and start a subject in "Miscalenous "
or w/e it's called , whicth will be called : " LCD Monitors - WAYY OVERPRICED "

EDIT : is it better to pay 20 $ for wire sleeving , pay 0.99 $ a feet for black ( only color ) wire loom or pay 2 $ / 4 feet for blue thermoretractable tube ( aka tube shrink )