Cleaning Reserator's pump?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Greg_R

Cleaning Reserator's pump?

Post by Greg_R » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:35 pm

OK, I'm on my 2nd reserator pump and the noise is back in full force. I can disassemble the pump... is it possible to clean the parts and eliminate the noise? Or has the pump corroded (i.e. cleaning won't help)? If I can clean the parts, what method and cleaner should I use? Thanks!

eander315

Post by eander315 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:57 pm

I don't have an answer for your question, but I do have one of my own: What aditives, if any, were you using with your Reserator? There have been a few posts about pumps failing and getting noisy with time, but no one has really said much about why it's happening. I assume it's due to lack of anti-corrosives, but it's better to know for sure so we can all learn from the experience.

I suppose if mine became noisy or failed completey I'd just take it completely out and replace it with an Eheim 1048 or a Laing DDC. Although I know very little about these pumps, I would imagine that corrosion is throwing the pump out of balance and making it noisy. Thus returning it to it's previous lack of noise by cleaning it would be very difficult.

It's worth a shot though, you don't really have anything to lose unless you were going to try to exchange it for another one. Automotive parts stores sell a product that more or less disolves rust when it's brushed on (apparently), which might be of help. Not sure if it harms plastic though, so you may wat to ask before slopping it all over your pump.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:25 pm

The speed at which these pumps are failing seems to rule out corrosion. The parts of the pump which are exposed to water are essentially all plastic anyway. Corrosion may affect the copper HS parts, but even that should take months to produce anything noticable.

These does seem to be something odd going on with these pumps though, but I doubt its corrosion related.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:47 pm

Yes it does appear that the Reserator I pumps and C-Systems pumps are jostling for the Ford award.

-Ed

EDIT: Typo.
Last edited by Edward Ng on Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg_R

Post by Greg_R » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:30 pm

I'm not using any additives (I foolishly followed the directions). Now I know to add some anti-corrosive but that still isn't fixing my current pump! The shaft of the Reserator pump appears to be metal. I think the shaft has worn / erroded which allows it to vibrate in the pump sleeve, thus causing the vibration noise. I'll let the forum know if it works (scrub it with steel wool, etc.).

eander315

Post by eander315 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:44 pm

Can you take/post pictures of the corroded shaft? You might try that rust remover stuff I mentioned earlier, though once the shaft is out of balance I can't imagine it will return to a quiet state of operation.