7700 fan swap success

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shaft0rz

7700 fan swap success

Post by Shaft0rz » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:59 pm

I swapped in a nexus 120mm case fan for the zalman fan on my 7700ALCU today. It wasn't so bad -- cut off the casing, then drilled some holes to screw on the mounting bracket. At first, the fan blades sat too low to the heatsink and scraped, so I added some plastic spacers (scraps from the casing) and it was fine. I've included a pic of my system...

http://www.tmobilepictures.com/photos/p ... pkv8p0g7p5

Idle temps on my athlon64 3200+ are 30C (coolnquiet is turned off right now), under cpuburn it goes up to 45. I suspect I have too much thermal grease on, but the temps dont seem too bad, so I'm not too worried about it.

Strangely enough, my passive 6800 temperatures went up since I've done the fan swap, to around 56C at idle. I think I've got some airflow issues to figure out in my case...

Anyway, a nexus will fit on a 7700. If i had to do it over, I'd probably just get an xp120 to start with, but with a nexus fan its an awesome cooler -- good temps and virtually silent (my suspended nidec spinpoints are the loudest thing in my system).

Cheers,
Peter

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:51 pm

"Idle temps on my athlon64 3200+ are 30C (coolnquiet is turned off right now), under cpuburn it goes up to 45."

Those are pretty good temps! What's voltage is the fan? I like to keep my 2 120 RS's at 7V

"my suspended nidec spinpoints are the loudest thing in my system"

Join the club! I'm ditching one of them as soon as I get a DVDRW for back-up purposes that the 2nd SP has just now.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:05 pm

Ahh a noisy hd can be very very annoying. I should knowi i have a WD.

very nice swap there. perhaps you should have used some softer spacers to decouple it?

Shaft0rz

Post by Shaft0rz » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:02 am

Not sure on the voltage -- I keep them about halfway down on the fanmate. I'm blown away by the nexus fans... Pretty much silent no matter what voltage I set them at!

"perhaps you should have used some softer spacers to decouple it?"
Yeah, I think you're right. That would've been ideal. I just got lazy/impatient, so I improvised. I'd advise anyone else planning this kind of swap to do what you said and decouple the fan a little...

"Join the club! I'm ditching one of them as soon as I get a DVDRW for back-up purposes that the 2nd SP has just now."

And I thought these things were supposed to be good!

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:44 am

Quietest damned HDs I've ever heard... Unfortunately that says more about the noise of HDs than anything. I have 2 so switching down to one will reduce noise a little and means I can probably put the reamining one in a HD enclosure or a mod I've been thinking of..