My Dream Quite Gaming System Build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Yamamoto56

My Dream Quite Gaming System Build

Post by Yamamoto56 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:45 am

Hello Everyone:

I have being surfing SPCR for a about a year but never actually said anything. Now I am getting my new gaming system so it's time for me to speak up :D It's being such a long time waiting for the AMD Nforce4 Ultra chip and let's hope it's well worth the wait. Below is the system spec, I don't have any photo yet but as soon as I have assemble everything I will post some photo.

CPU: AMD64 3200 Winchester 90nm

MB: ASUS "A8N-SLI Deluxe" nForce4 SLI Socket 939

HS: Thermalright Heatsink for P4 & K8 CPUs, Heatsink Only, Model "XP-120" -RETAIL

FAN: 3X Cooler Master Utlra Slient Case Fan SAF-S84-E1 (80mm) 13db
2X Cooler Master ULTRA SILENT FAN SAF-S12-E1 (120mm) 13db

TC: Arctic Silver Premium Silver Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound, Model "Arctic Silver 5", 3.5-gram( 1 cc. ) tube

PS: Antec Black Fanless 350 Watt ATX12V power supply, Model "Phantom 350"

RAM: OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

HD: Maxtor 300GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model 6B300S0 SATA II, NCQ

VIDEO CARD: Leadtek nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express, Model ""PX6600GT TDH Extreme"

DVD: ASUS Silver 16X DVD-ROM/ 48X CD-ROM QuiteTrak Drive, Model DVD-E616P2S

DVDRW: NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive (Sliver) Model ND-3520A, OEM

SOUND CARD: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0350"

CASE: SILVERSTONE Silver Nimiz Case, Model "SST-TJ03"

CK: SilverStone SST-FP51-S (Silver) Aluminum 5.25" to 3.5" Bay Converter Kit

FLOPPY: Mitsumi Floppy 7-in-1 USB card reader / smart media Grey

KEYBOARD: Zboard Gaming Keyboard (Standard and Gaming Keyset)

MOUSE: Razer Diamondback RZ-1600

MOUSE PAD: EXactMat bundle with wrist rest RZ-9500

I hope this setup achieve the looks, performace and the Quiteness that I desire. 8)

Yama

vbmech

Post by vbmech » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:04 pm

I have to say good choices since I just built a system and we chose the same brands for quite a few things.. motherboard, heatsink, video card, hard drive.

However I think you could reconsider your fan choices.

Why go with a fanless PSU and then throw 6 fans at it in the system? In my similar setup, I get by with four total: two 120's, a 92 on the heatsink, and the power supply. I could easily remove one of the 120's if I didn't mind a few degrees higher with the hard drives. IMHO, 6 fans is too much (don't forget the Leadtek). I'd go with a known quiet power supply (S12 coming out soon?) and then cut back on the system fans.

Also, why not Nexus? I have all 3 sizes now and they are all excellent.

I don't know about your fan choices, but I'd bet the loudest thing in that system will be the Leadtek. It has a whiny little fan when compared to well built 120's in the same case. Remove the stock sink and I'd go for:

Thermaltake Fanless VGA

It works very well on my Leadtek 6600GT keeping it the same temperature as the stock sink with a fan. I have a 120 pointing at it, blowing from the hard drives and it is cool to the touch. It probably wouldn't work in SLI though unless it's an internal connection.

Tyrdium

Post by Tyrdium » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:03 pm

I sincerely doubt that those Cooler Master fans are 13 dBA. Get a good 120 mm fanned PSU (Nexus 4090 Special Edition?), stick a Nexus 120 on the XP-120, and another Nexus 120 in the rear 120 mm fan spot (there is one, correct?). That should be enough cooling for that system.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:44 pm

and WELCOME TO SPCR !!! :wink:

niels007

Post by niels007 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:02 pm

The Coolermaster 120mm just spins at 720 RPM, hence the low rating. They do whirr and rattle and vibrate far more than a Nexus does at equal RPM though. Nexus is best, Coolermaster is like a bad Papst: whirr and click but not 'bad' compared to most fans.

Yamamoto56

Post by Yamamoto56 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:06 pm

Wow thanks for all the comments so quick! :D I really appriciated it.

The reason why I choose those fan was because it was a convinece to buy everything from the same site. The case Nimiz came with 1 120mm fan and 3 80mm fan, they are all in 20db that I know will be loud. The other 120mm will be use on the heatsink. If I find out after replacing all the fan but still too loud to bear, then might as well return the case and the fan all together for something else. After research online for so long about the case, it arrived yesterday. Honestly, I was a bit disappointed, the case can be constructed way better. It is mostly aluminum but u can see on the back there are places that are not sealed off competely due to the pull out tray design. Silverstone really need to find a way to make it competely seal off. Also, they should have included the fan filter design for rest of the fan like they did at the front 120mm fan. As I slide open the case panel, notice how fragile it can be, it could have being thicker. All in all I wish the Antec P180 is here already.

I will defintely look into replacing the fan for the Leadtek Video Card, however since I am no expert at modding, just afriad to mess it up like some people have posted in the forum. :? Looks like you can't have everything without taking some risk?

vbmech

Post by vbmech » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:23 pm

I understand how you feel about the fanless VGA. I also read the story of someone frying or cracking their chip in the forums and I was a bit concerned because I couldn't find any evidence that said "this heat sink works on the Leadtek 6600GT."

I took a chance but it wasn't that difficult to install and like I said, it kept the same temps as the stock HS with fan. I did use Arctic Silver 5 for the main sink-chip connection so that might've helped a bit over the stock grease.

So if you get to the point of tracking down the next loudest fan, you do have the option of the TT Fanless VGA. It took about 15 to 20 minutes to install and isn't any more difficult than a CPU heat sink replacement.

Yamamoto56

Post by Yamamoto56 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:31 pm

Well well... I am just installed my system. Guess what is the loudest part? Motherboard Chipset Fan! High pitched winny noise!!! Argh~~~ :x It is even louder than my video card. Anyone has idea what to use to replace the chipset fan?

Tyrdium

Post by Tyrdium » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:01 pm

Zalman ZM-NB47J. It's a little (well, relatively big, I guess) blue heatsink for your chipset. It's enough to cool most chipsets passively.

Yamamoto56

Post by Yamamoto56 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:21 am

As promised photo at last ~~ :o

It turns out the case looks better than I expected... :)

Here is what open front panel looks like, notice the silverstone 120mm filter design. I like everything in silver, however, the mitsumi combo floppy drive is only available in grey.

I happen to have 3 80mm artic coolers that are quite and the blue color match my case light color perfectly. I added those aluminum filters at the back and top.

Thanks to you guys I had the courage to change the fan for my Leadteak 6600gt and the chipset heatsink, as well as replacing the coolermaster 120mm fan with a regular stock. It was quite scary for me when I notice the back panel of the video card have to mount a heatsink, since It is not smooth surface.

Now my case is alot quiter! I can still hear the fan at 1 feet but very difficult to notice the noise.

Overall this project turn out to be very fun and worthwhile for me personally. I love my system, period!!!!!! It's got the look, performance, stability and quiteness I need. If you guys don't have hardware firewall, do yourself a favor and get the nforce4 chipset mb, the active armor firewall totally rocks! During my installation, I catch quite a few malicious attack that the firewall block and notify me. My web surfing has never being smoother! If you are a gamer, you will know how important it is to have no lag during tournament. Couple with the new Razer Diamondback, Razer mousepad and the Zboard, your set to get some crazy frags with uber low ping!

At idle my cpu temperature is around 25~33; system is about 35. The hottest component in my system is actually the chipset right now. :lol: After changing the coolermaster 120mm fan with the stock, the airflow got improve alot while the noise gone up a little bit. But I notice how the airflow is cooling my ram! It was really hot before when touching it.

I actually tested the Maxtor Diamond HD with the hitachi aam software, and it can be virtually dead silent if you want to. However, it did cause problem during the installation, it would become extremely slow in reading the file and seems to stop the installation. Anyone wanna suggest a recommand setting?

Anyhow, after months of research on components, I have to give 2 thumb up to SPCR and all the modder site out there for picking out some very specific parts to do the job. If you got the money (USD 2000) and time, I highly recommand this setup.

nici

Post by nici » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:32 am

Sheesh.. That looks very good 8) Not exactly a triumph of innovation but as youre satisfied and it works, who cares. Thumbs up Image In the photo the floppy drive looks to blend in pretty well, if you want you can always paint it silver.

The filters at the top and rear are not serving any purpose though, other than they look cool. BTW are those 80mm fans 32 or 38mm thick? They look thicker than normal in the pictures.. :?:

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:31 am

Arctic Fan Pro 2L 80x80x34.5mm

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:49 pm

That case looks awesome in that room - very nice, and nice build overall.
Similar (in terms of number and types of fans) to what I'm doing as soon as I can get hold of an Asus A8N-E...

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:38 pm

Actually, the floppy/card reader combo is available in beige, black and silver over at www.aria.co.uk. There's two versions out now, the second is apparently the best due to revised card reader electronics.

Yamamoto56

Post by Yamamoto56 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:43 pm

hehe... UK!! Why only available in UK... @#!$!@#$

To recap, I love my system however it is not as silent as many of antec sonata builder out there. it's got 1 120mm front fan, 2 80mm back fan, 1 80mm top fan and 1 120mm cpu fan running. Anyway u slice it, it's just not gonna be that quite. Ultimately I picked the look over a better silent design. Anyone wanna tell me how to further silence my system? :D I was thinking about those nexus 120mm fan on the cpu and front. Then maybe add sound damping stuff.... all these mod is costing me quite a fortune, well I am glad that I am not as crazy about cars.... hehehe :P

However, I also notice how important it is to have a good airflow system. A system with hot ram and hot chipset will do you no good in the long run. Maybe that's why watercooling is the way to go? Let's hope it become cost effective sooner. And Finally, I really hate dust filling the system! All the case manufacture should consider making a silent mini clean room like case that blocks 99% of dust that goes into the system. For a all aluminum, anti dust and noise sealing case, 200~300 bucks is reasonable to me.

Yamamoto56

Post by Yamamoto56 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:47 pm

2 more photos here.

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:35 am

Are you in the US or 'The East'? It's funny that Mitsumi these products are only available in the UK :)

akio

Post by akio » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:21 am

Wow, those blue lights look like nuclear reaction inside. :shock:

Yamamoto56

Post by Yamamoto56 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:17 pm

hehe.. i am tempted to turn them off so it would be less noise. :oops:

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:19 pm

There does seem to be a lot of fans there mate. Try turning off a rear fan and undervolting all the others. should help loads. Oh, also the rear grills make LOADS of noise, they look real pretty but they're useful on the back unless you want a computer/air purifier combo :)

Yamamoto56

System Update

Post by Yamamoto56 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:07 pm

Ok I have decided to change a few things in the system to lower the noise level.

The Nexus 120mm Fan are very slient, however, without enough air flow blowing down to cpu, i notice my system temperature had gone up significantly, especially the chipset and ram. Chipset temperature reach 50C and cpu temperature reach 37C. Original cpu temperature stay around 25~29. So I decided to use the original setup until I find something to replace my 120mm fan. I think the key is to create more air flow within the system, especially near the chipset and ram. BTW, those coolermaster 120mm silent fan sucks, not much airflow and the clicking noise, defintely stay away from those.

The NEC ND-3520A DVD-RW are extremely loud!!!!! Very annoying reading/seeking/burning noise when insert disc. Stay away from those if you desire quiteness. It was replaced with the Plextor 716A DVD-RW drive. (not as quite as Asus quite DVD drive, but acceptable). Unfortunately, they are not available in silver :( I have to sent the black bezel to custom paint. We will see how that turns out.

I took care of the 3 80mm fan by using the zalman fanmate2, now i can acutally run those fan at dead slient state or even stop the fan from spinning while the light remain on. I highly recommand using those fanmate.

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:39 am

Good to hear you're having some success :)

I've got the 3520 as well and certainly when spinning up and reading CDs it's stunningly loud. When it's reading a DVD it's a lot quieter but far from ideal for an HTPC :(

What you may want to do is to replace the stock ASUS northbridge cooler with a zalman 47J passive one. It doesn't look as cool but certainly gets you better temperatures.

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:40 am

Double post....ignore.
Last edited by scotty6435 on Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:42 am

EDIT: Just used nero drivespeed to reduce CD speed to 8x and DVD speed to 5x and it's silent as you like :)

Te only thing is that now I'll have to up it when I install but for a silent cmputer sacrifices have to be made....

parisjohan

Post by parisjohan » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:30 am

First of all, great set up :D ! I've spent a considerable amount of time looking up all the different parts for my future PC and most of my choices are almost identical to yours. The minor difference is that I will probably use a PAPST 120mm 26 db fan over the XP-120 and in the front intake. I haven't decided what VGA cooler I will use though. I understand you use a fanless Thermaltake VGA, but I just can't find it. What model number does it have? I actually also consider the Zalman VF700-Cu, what do you reckon?

Interesting to hear you're thoughts about the fanmate2. Just wonder, do you use 3 of them since (if I understand it correctly! :? ) you can only control one fan per fanmate2? Wouldn't it make more sense to use the ZM-MFC1 and thereby get control over all your fans (obviously, if you don't like the look of the front panel, it might not be an option, but to me it looks quite ok).

I also like the looks of those filters you used for the 80mm fans, where did you find 'em?

Finally, what's you're impression so far of the Antec 350W phantom? Is 350W enough and does the fact that it's silent compensate for the reduced case air flow compared to a normal PSU?

Many questions there :oops: !! sorry about that.

Yamamoto56

Post by Yamamoto56 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:29 pm

Hey No problem man, this is SPCR! :)

Yes I am already using the Zalman 47j on my chipset, the temperature reach beyond 50 when I use the Nexus 120mm silent fan on XP-120. Although very silent, that is far from the ideal temperature for a closed system. I am thinking about getting 2 Silverstone controller 120mm fan to create even more airflow, one at the front, one on the cpu.

Your right about the fanmate2, you can only control one of them at one time. I have thought about replacing them with other fan controller at the front, but since there are so many fan controllers out there, pluse I have no experience with any, just really dunno where to start.

The Leadtek nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card and the Thermaltake Fanless VGA are bought from Newegg. Now I have absoultely no experiece with all these stuff, and I hesitated doing it because once you remove the fan the warrenty is void. It took about 3 hours to put it together carefully, but at the end it was worth it, 0db... haha. However I do not recommand doing it on other Video Card unless you know how much temperture the card can produce. I picked this card because of the overall balance in temperature, preformace and price. Take a look at the chart here and you will notice some other 6600gt can reach up to 98c and more! http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=19

The aluminum filter are bought from newegg, you should find them without problem. However, I had to cut one filter edge in order to fit 2 of them together at the back. It probably won't do much good to get the dust but I do it for the looks. :)

The Antec 350W phantom kicks ass so far! No problem whatsoever right now, but I did notice after turning system on for sometime it becomes warm to touch, it will be a good idea to have better air flow in the system to take away the heat. If you look at all my components, they are not that demanding for wattage. However, If you are going to use the latest P4 or SLI grahpics card, 6800gt or Raid HD setup, you might want to get a higher wattage one just to be on the safe side. Personally I feel my setup is good enough for another 2 years so my plan is just plug in the AMD64-4000 or AMDFX57 when they come into my buying range.

parisjohan

Post by parisjohan » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:30 am

Thanks for all that :D ! Great link for the video cards, the Leadtek definitely seems to be the one to go for! Good to hear the phantom works well. It will probably be enough for me too. I'm gonna go for a 6600GT as well. However, I'm might go for a RAID 0 or 1 solution, but since I'll only use one optical drive, I should be ok.... or :? ?!

Tell me, was the 47j difficult to install? Just as you, I have no experience of all this stuff whatsoever, it's the first time I build up my own system. When it comes to fan controller, I haven't really investigated that field thoroughly enough yet, I'll get back with my findings when I have.

Thanks for the tip about Newegg. Unfotunately, I live in Sweden so it's not really the most straight forward solution for me... :cry: . I'll have to look for something similar somwhere else.

When it comes to case cooling, what else can be done on top of using the 3 80mm and 120mm for the case? Not much I guess, next step is probably water cooling, but I'm not going to go there at the moment. What do you reckon?

Yamamoto56

Post by Yamamoto56 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:40 pm

If just 2 HD, it will probably be ok. Phantom is probably the most efficient PS in it's class, read the SPCR review. However you might wanna do some research just to be safe. The 47j was very tidious to install. The leg that they supply to hook up to the motherboard is a pain to install because it was so small. You will have to prepare very small screw driver for this install. Plus you have to take out the chipset fan first, be very careful not to damage the motherboard while you cut the plastic pin with a small/sharp scissor. It won't be so easy to cut it off, you have to push the pin down while cutting it from bottom. I had my brother helping me on this one, he pushed one side down while i cut from bottom. Before you put on the 47j, adjust the leg onto it and see if it will match the hole. Also, if you plan to change the video card fan, make sure it has enough space so it won't run into your chipset heatsink. I measure the actual distance before I did it and it works out just ok. And make sure you apply ample amount of Thermal greese so it will conduct heat well. The key is to be very careful and do it by the instruction; you can do it if I can. :)

Ah Sweden, hehe can't help you there. I remember there were so many pro gamer, you might want to ask their opinions about where to shop for gear.

I just ordered the Silverstone 120mm Controller fan, and I am gonna try to see if it will be better than my current 120mm fan on the cpu sink. I don't think there are much else you can do about those fan, I can confirm artic cooler 80mm fan is silent and still have color when you use fan mate2 to slow it down even further.

Saddly there are problems that I ran into recently, first of all is the system freeze from time to time. I don't really know where that came from, but I know AMD cpu is not like P4 that supports hyper threading. It would freeze if I run many tasks, the desktop will go black then refresh it self. I am not sure if this is cpu specific or something else. Another problem is audio recording, i get the cracking sound after burning wav file audio cdrw. Aside from this problem, as far as web surfing and gaming wise, this system is top notch the best experience i ever had so far.

parisjohan

Post by parisjohan » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:22 am

Thanks for that description of the 47j installation :D ! Done some investigation when it comes to fan controllers, and it seems that the T-Balancer from mCubed gets very high ratings wherever you look. Might be something to look at.

Sorry to hear about your freeze problems, let's hope that's it's going to sort itself out. In the past, I also had cracking sounds after my audio cdr recordings. However, I really haven't used cdrw much, so no experience in that field. Do you get the same with cdr? I suppose you're using Nero, or do you have another software?

I've been thinking about doing some mod for the hard drives to reduce noise, but it seems that the 3,5'' bay can't be moved at all. Have you done anything in this department? Finally, I'm just interested in hearing your comments about the front panel so far, is it solid and behaves ok?

Yamamoto56

Post by Yamamoto56 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:17 am

Hmm I never see anything like the T balancer before :P It would be nice t have a simple fan controller that operate 5 fans and matches the silver panel.

I did a bit of research on why there are freezing problems, it turns out It could either be not enough power, or power outlet surge problem. The Asus SLI board require at least a 18a on the 12v line. Although the Phantom qualify, it might be barely enough for all the components. Since I plan to upgrade to AMDFX55 or 4000 later, might as well pick up the new Antec 500w Phantom when it comes out. As for the audio recording problem, it's sloved. All I had to do is to change the mode on the motherboard bio to PIO Mode2 from PIO Mode 4.

About the HD, well, I have no clue about how to change the 3.5 into a regular bay. I actually thought about it, but after using the Hitachi software, you can lower the HD noise to inaudible but at the cost of reduced performance. The noise level of this Maxtor Diamond 10 is bearable for me. The only thing I complain about is the performace, it's just not as fast as the raptor :D

Front Panel is fine but you have to becareful not to trip it while it's open. I am not sure if it will break apart if you apply too much force to it. Maybe Silverstone can install a rubber pad alone the front panel so when it's open it will have certain cussion.

If you got extra cash and still wanna mod further, maybe you will consider adding the silverstone side window.

I saw the Dream machine that Maxiumpc bulid. http://www.maximumpc.com/features/featu ... 08-24.html

The case looks incredible after the paint job at smooth creation. Dunno how much it cost to have it done, but if there is anything else left to do, this might be it.