Need a 120mm fan that will crank some air at 12v, but

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ender17

Need a 120mm fan that will crank some air at 12v, but

Post by Ender17 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:13 pm

will undervolt well and run very quiet at 5v or whatever. The Globe S1202512L-3M seems like the best bet from what I've read so far. Any other fans to consider? Yate Loom D12SM-12?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:25 pm

Have you read the sticky: The Top SPCR Quiet 120mm Axial Fans Compared + 120mmAC Fans.

You should have a look at the AC fans. The guy who reviewed them did so for HIS own watercooling system.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:23 pm

Why did you need more "horsepower"'? Do you really need more CFM, or just more pressure i.e. What are you going to be using the fan(s) for?

DrCR

_________
p.s. In case someone hasn't greeted you already, Welcome to SPCR! :)

ckolivas

Re: Need a 120mm fan that will crank some air at 12v, but

Post by ckolivas » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:36 pm

Ender17 wrote:will undervolt well and run very quiet at 5v or whatever. The Globe S1202512L-3M seems like the best bet from what I've read so far. Any other fans to consider? Yate Loom D12SM-12?
Because of these forums' bad experience with the sales approach used by the Silenx distributors you'll find almost noone talk about them. This is unfortunate because they do have some good products. The 120mm - so called 14dB fan - does just this as I use one myself. It comes with a small resistor or zener diode or something that is connected by default and is quiet with it in line. Pull it out and replace it with a fanmate and you can get quite a high flow through it at 12v and can drop it back down to the quiet setting at 5v. Note it is not remotely 14dB even in the quiet setting, but at equivalent flow to the Nexus 120mm fan I found it the same loudness. You can actually go lower than 5v with this fan too but the fanmate isn't flexible enough to do this, so I put the resistor in line with the fanmate for even lower voltages but the fanmate does funny things in response to lower voltages and the control works backwards (but still allows you to drop the voltage further). At 12v the sound is mostly air and a small amount of whine but given the flow I think it is very good.

frankgehry

fans

Post by frankgehry » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:43 pm

E,

The acoustifan is a quiet fan that really puts out a lot of air at top speed (2000 rpm).

The globe is about 1400 rpm.

Tek-Chain is very quiet and goes up to 1630 rpm.

The Delta triple blade low speed is good and goes up to 1950 rpm.

Globes are getting hard to get. Acoustifan is a globe I believe, but kind of expensive.

Yate loon D12SM-12 is good.

I don't really know what you are trying to do. The delta will crank air, but I don't know if it will go down to 5v. It will go to 6v. - FG

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:54 pm

This fan is actually a Globe fan, B 12025 12M-3M. It's a ball bearing model,.3A, and it moves a bunch of air.....maxes about 2200rpms. Contrary to the specs, it is not a thermal sensor model.

I have that Globe fan you mention also. This thing moves 50% more air. It will run down to 6V @900rpms. At the lower speeds it's fairly quiet, but not as quiet as that sleeve bearing model. I still would recommend it to anyone needing more airflow than normal. :)

Ender17

Post by Ender17 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:15 pm

I need them for a H2O setup

I've only got room for a single 120mm rad and I was going to get a BIX, but now I'm leaning towards the BIPro because the BIX requires a LOT of airflow and I want to keep noise down

I'm probably going to put a fan on each side of the radiator so I'll have a push/pull config

what I want is excellent cooling so I can get a good 4.2GHz or so OC on my Prescott and keep it cool under load, but the ability to turn the fans down at night when my machine is idle or just downloading because I sleep right next to my computer

here is my original thread
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19695

and I read the sticky about 120mm fans at the top, that's where I heard about the Globe, which the author really seemed to like

I'd like to stay away from AC unless it's by far the best option, because it sounds like a pain (would it work with my Sunbeam Rhoebus?, what else would I need?)

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:50 pm

E,

A globe S1202512L-3M is $8 at coolcases if they still have them, so they're probably one of the best deals around. The one Bluefront mentioned puts out a lot more air, but is not as quiet. Its all a trade off. - FG

Ender17

Post by Ender17 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:02 am

frankgehry wrote:E,

A globe S1202512L-3M is $8 at coolcases if they still have them, so they're probably one of the best deals around. The one Bluefront mentioned puts out a lot more air, but is not as quiet. Its all a trade off. - FG
couldn't find them...link?

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:54 am

Ender17 wrote: and I read the sticky about 120mm fans at the top, that's where I heard about the Globe, which the author really seemed to like
I used to be pretty gunho on the Globe, back when things were pretty subjective and pretty hard to compare. Either you had to spend a lot of money and time reviewing a ton of fans yourself only to use just a couple, or spend a ton of time sorting through forums trying to get an idea where the fans stood. Most of what the sticky thread consists of is really the perseverant effort of others. The “quest for the quietest fan” if you will. I just sort of research and compile it all together, partly because I was doing so for myself anyway, partly because there wasn’t really a one-stop place for a newbie to get some general info. I felt bad for / got sick of newguys posting the same questions every week it seemed lol. ;)

Soon after the original post, the Nexus offering was found indeed to be significantly better and when MikeC and company confirmed subjectivity with scientific support, Nexus has become the defacto standard in quiet computing. But some of the remnant thought of the original post was still reflected in the comments concerning the Nexus and the Globe. I change a few adjectives to hopefully reflect a more accurate comment to both of the fans in question.

The Globe is a great fan when high CFMs are needed, but they hardly ever really are. What most here are trying to advise you is you probably won’t need more CFM than the Nexus will offer. If you do, personally I would look at a good Yate Loon before going the Globe route now that Yate Loons are much easier to get a hold of.

All that said, even if you end up with a Globe, it won’t be the best setup from a quiet computing perspective, but it should be on the quiet side of things for you.

Do you have a thread on the watercooling aspect of your computer? We need to talk about your overall machine layout.
I'm getting the PC-7 Plus and here is everything I want to put in it (long list)

PCP&C 510W PCI-E
DFI 875P-T
P4 560 (maybe a 6xx later)
BFG 6800 Ultra w/ NV Silencer 5
Audigy ZS
NEC-3500
AOpen DVD-ROM
Sunbeam Rheobus
Hauppauge PVR (not sure which one yet)
My trusty Raptor
LSI MegaRAID SATA 4-150
4 x WD2500JD Drives
DD TDX 775 block
DD12V-D4 pump
120mm radiator
By the way, you want to get the PVR250, though make sure you get the MCE edition if you plan on installing Windows Media Center (I wouldn't recommend it).

From a discussion I had over at the AVSForum a while back:
stanger89 wrote: The 350 has a hardware MPEG decoder and dedicated TV out (the 250 doesn't). If you have an HD capable display, IMO there's no point to the 350. Even if you don't, while the 350 output is great quality, it is extremely limited (MPEG only) and somewhat buggy when you draw an OSD on it.
I've only got room for a single 120mm rad...
Remember watercooling often equals case modding. If there's a will, there's a way... muh ha ha (or insert evil laugh of your own with case modding tools in hand).

DrCR

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:07 am

Ender17 wrote:
frankgehry wrote:E,

couldn't find them...link?
I don't see it either.

http://www.coolcases.com/index.php3
From Coolcases website wrote:The Globe fans appear to be no longer available, although we're trying to buy them direct from Globe to continue their availability.
DrCR

frankgehry

That confirms it

Post by frankgehry » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:40 am

I think the globe has been taken off the coolcases website. If you really want one you should call. Both coolcases and mnpctech are offering the tek-chain as their upgrade fan now that the globes are gone. - FG

DGK

Post by DGK » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:41 pm

DrCR wrote:
stanger89 wrote: The 350 has a hardware MPEG decoder and dedicated TV out (the 250 doesn't). If you have an HD capable display, IMO there's no point to the 350. Even if you don't, while the 350 output is great quality, it is extremely limited (MPEG only) and somewhat buggy when you draw an OSD on it.

DrCR

I have a pvr-350 right now, plan on using the output capabilities at a later date but right now I just watch everything on my computer. Anyway, I think the 250 is being phased out and replaced with the 150?? The 150 is pretty much the same board but it now includes a FM tuner ala pvr-350. So the 150 has hardware encoding and the 350 has hardware encoding and decoding. There is also a 500 which is the same thing as two 150's on one board but some people are having problems using it on boards with a VIA chipset. I bought my 350 right before the new boards came out, if I had to do it over again I would of waited for a 150.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:53 pm

Were you guys looking for this?
Coolcase's globe

Ender17

Post by Ender17 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:06 pm

DrCR wrote:Do you have a thread on the watercooling aspect of your computer? We need to talk about your overall machine layout.
I do now :)
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... 753#161753

And, looks like a PVR will be the best option now that I'm going with DirectTV.