They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

ThermalTake does it yet again

Post by acaurora » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:47 pm

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/chip ... -g0009.htm

Behold, the Schooner.

Honestly, who in their right mind would let a huge heatsink stick out and hang from OUTSIDE their case? And think that a big chunk of people have computers sitting in dusty areas/carpets. All that junk can get on there, not to mention introduce more dust into the case. And think if you accidentally hit the sides of the slot as you are installing it - breakage.

mathias

Post by mathias » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:33 pm

Yes, that thing needs to be put on a diet, (and thermaltake still hasn't heard of backpressure) but there have been at least twothreads specifically about this contraption already.

poohbear

Post by poohbear » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:21 am

nice! Well, I really hope there will be more VGA cards with fanless heatsink built in soon, cuz right now we only got Gigabyte making them and they are still hard to find here in Canada. :D

GrahamGarside

Post by GrahamGarside » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:43 pm

It's a marketing gimmick in true thermaltake fashion
It may seem logical to think sticking it out of the case will help, but think about it, the case has a constant flow of air, where as outside the pc, down near the pci slots, theres no air flow, so it's all down to natural convection.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:46 pm

I wouldn't dismiss the idea so readily. The VGA usually sits right under the exhaust fans. The blowing air would create a lower-pressure right above the outage. One has to try & see. The previous fanless version works quite well for me.

Lwood

Post by Lwood » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:33 am

I agree about not dismissing it too quickly. I think of it as a passive cooler where you get heat removed from the case for free. It may not be much, but its more than the Zalman. That said, its probably not as efficient as the Zalman to begin with.

shades_of_blue

Post by shades_of_blue » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:10 pm

anyone look at the weight on that fugly beast? 514grams! i don't know about you, but i wouldn't be towing any system with that on it very far.