Please help, buzz coil noise / high pitched noise with mobo

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dpheffernan

Please help, buzz coil noise / high pitched noise with mobo

Post by dpheffernan » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:26 pm

Hey guys,

Just recently I upgraded my SLK-948U / panaflo 80mm L1A to a XP-120 / yate loom medium speed combo, along with upgrading my nv silencer 5 on my 6800 ultra to a vf700. Everything has worked out great for me, and seems to be much quieter, but in doing so, I think I've uncovered something else. There is a quite loud, very high pitched noise coming from my motherboard area - not quite my cpu area, I think to the left of it, but not quite where my PSU is. My motherboard is an MSI K8T A64 board, with a 3400+ cpu, and the PSU is a ocz modstream. I thought that this might have been the psu fan, so i also changed the fan to a yate loom medium speed (it was a high speed model stock), and the noise remained. My computer is now pretty darn quiet, with only those two fans, along with another medium speed yate loom, all running at 5V in my foamed 3700BQE. I'm really discouraged. After searching over the forums, all that I've gathered is that it's some kind of buzz coil noise in my psu / interfering with my motherboard. I've tried swapping out the motherboard, the ram, and the video card, with alternatives, and I've even stuck my hard drive / cool drive 2002 in my desk drawer, and those components definitely have not caused what I'm talking about. I've tried searching a bunch on this, and I'm assuming that it has to do with my PSU not having active PFC, but I really didn't think that it made this noise... it's really rather annoying, and it's giving me a headache... so before I go out and buy a new power supply, any thoughts on the matter anyone? Thing about it is, I was working on my computer about a week ago, and I definitely didn't notice the noise, and I'm just wondering what it possibly could be.

Full Specs:
MSI K8T mobo
AMD 3400+ 2.4ghz 512kb cache
XP-120, 120mm yate loom medium speed @ 5V
OCZ modstream, 120mm yate loom fan swap medium speed @ 5v
Case fan, 120mm yate loom rear case fan medium speed @ 5v
Leadtek 6800 Ultra, vf-700 @ 5v
Zalman Fan Controller - what I use to undervolt everything - could this be making the buzzing noise with the power supply - I remember hearing about PWM noise, and was wondering about this?
Sound blaster audigy 2
Hitachi hg720 deskstar in cool drive 2002 CU edition
NEC 2.4x dvd drive (I've tried disconnecting this, too)
Floppy drive (also disconnecting this)
I think thats everything... please get back to me guys, I have no idea what else to try / do... :cry:

dpheffernan

Post by dpheffernan » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:17 pm

ttt

dpheffernan

Post by dpheffernan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:14 am

ttt

RedSnapper

Post by RedSnapper » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:45 am

Probably sounds crazy, but if you can identify the offending component in your PSU, some people drip hot wax over them, to seal them in kind of thing. I'd do a search on google first before trying though, whatever you do don't take my word for it.

dpheffernan

Post by dpheffernan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:36 am

I'm fine with simple thing like fan swaps, but running my computer and sticking my ear or hand near an open power supply is a bit scary. :lol: thanks for the advice, though.

Would simply buying the right power supply ensure getting rid of this noise? It's driving me crazy!

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:32 pm

The all-knowing oracle "Search" reveals the following relevant threads:

How to silence toroidal coil making noise?

Coil Whine

and while you're at it, you might want to add something to this thread[/url]