pentium-m adapter for socket-478

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

yeha

pentium-m adapter for socket-478

Post by yeha » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:07 pm

just noticed this article linked from an xtremesystems forum post (forum post links to more pics). if it's coming from asus, i guess it's not a mock-up but a real product coming. might be $30 or so? that'd be nice. model number seems to be ct-479.

i'm not sure how well it'll support the software-controlled multiplier changes we'll probably want to perform, but for the price-savings i don't really care :)

also included is a switch for 100/133 fsb, so that 1.6ghz chip could be bumped up to 2.1ghz just like that.

anyone with more info/ideas?

Mats

Post by Mats » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:13 pm

Oh yes, and people got irritated just because I asked about it. It was to good to be true so I better shut up and stop dreaming.
*ok Mats, just stop crying..* :shock: :wink:

Anyway, this looks good! Does this mean that I'll get an Intel after all? I guess a special made retention bracket would be good, so I don't need that 70 mm fan. (Maybe isolate the P4 FSB pin just like wjdashwood said to get some decent overclocking.)

Talz

Post by Talz » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:29 pm

This is pretty cool, there are issues but not much more than with the P-M boards that are out right now. But if this is for real, and it works without some big unexpected downside I'm all over it.

$100 P4P800
$30 Magic PM Adapter
$250 PM 1.7, good shot at 2.26

Dual channel memory bandwidth, SATA, Glan, AGP8X, etc.

Seems to good to be true, but still it's a sweet idea at the least.

Mats

Post by Mats » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:59 pm

The pic above is just wrong and confusing, it doesn't work like that. The adapter is 52x80 mm so it fits inside the retention bracket, and if you're wondering about the orientation just remember that you must be able to lock the P4 socket lever, it all makes sense then.

A Zalman 7000 would probably fit just fine with longer screws.
Edit: Oh I don't know, that power connector got a very bad placement ...

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:08 pm

Err, how are you supposed to mount a heatsink?

Once you put that thing on top of the stock socket, and then the chip into the 479 socket, there's no way you'll be able to use the stock retention bracket to hold a heatsink on.

That's probbaly why they include their own specialized HSF. 3000RPM, 70mm? That defeats the purpose of even using one of these chips.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:24 pm

What about motherboard bios issues *yawn*.

Mats

Post by Mats » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:40 pm

Rusty075 wrote:Err, how are you supposed to mount a heatsink?

Once you put that thing on top of the stock socket, and then the chip into the 479 socket, there's no way you'll be able to use the stock retention bracket to hold a heatsink on.
I know, that's why I said
And then I realized that it would probably be impossible anyway.

There must be workarounds though. I have five ideas, quite hard to tell which of them that will work right now.
1. Put the P4 machined aluminium pieces upside down. (My guess is that it will be too high (about 18 mm higher). Modify it a little so it won't slip out of the bracket.)
2. Make new pieces. (I can do it but i realize that most people can't.)
3. Put spacers under the P4 retention bracket. (Don't think you can put so much extra there.)
4. Modify bracket. (Maybe the most complicated because of the design.)
5. Put a piece of sheet metal between the clip and the HS.

Now some of those ideas will only work together with some other. For instance, if [1] gets too high as I suspect, then combine with [5]. [5] is not a standalone solution. (OT: [5] can work with lidless CPU's in some other situations)

Be innovative! :wink:
Last edited by Mats on Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Talz

Post by Talz » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:41 pm

Looking at how it is designed, it seems to offer a standard fixed voltage (maybe Asus will allow some slight tweaking depending on the 478 voltage), and fixed 100/133 bus speeds, though the extra jumper could allow some flexibility there if they decide.

And it seems to be an almost trivial thing for Asus to include a different socket bracket. That doesn't mean they will do it, but the sales lost from not doing so would be significant as aftermarket cooling would seem to be a bigger factor on this solution than most as a larger portion of the potential market will be interested in silencing.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:44 pm

My guess is that if Asus makes that bracket, then they'll probably release some new BIOS'es to support it as well. If that is needed, that is.

Now I happen to have a spare Asus P4P800-VM as shown in the picture, because I just sold my Preshot chip to finance my new AMD64 system. I knew I had to get rid of the mobo too or else I'd be tempted to spend money on it.

Mats

Post by Mats » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:49 pm

tay wrote:What about motherboard bios issues *yawn*.
Well if ASUS says 100% compatible with P4P800 then there should be no problem, but if it's just plain BS then expect the worst. Maybe you need a BIOS update. I wonder if we will see mobo + adapter bundles..

Talz

Post by Talz » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:57 pm

I was just thinking about the socket bracket, I think it could be raised simply with the right size bolts, washers and nuts. Far from ideal, but I'm really more worried about electrical issues and communication between the cpu and northbridge etc. If that all works smoothly the rest is just a matter of tweaking to the right size. It would be a pita though, and I hope Asus does things right with an included bracket for aftermarket cooling.

I do agree that the power connecter is not ideal, but it seems workable and they may manage to place it further from the cpu.

Mats

Post by Mats » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:05 pm

Tibors wrote:Now I happen to have a spare Asus P4P800-VM as shown in the picture, because I just sold my Preshot chip to finance my new AMD64 system. I knew I had to get rid of the mobo too or else I'd be tempted to spend money on it.
Edit:
The question is if they mean the actual P4P800 or the whole series of at least 11 cards:

865PE: the P4P800, Deluxe, -E Deluxe, SE, -X
865G: -VM
865GV: MX
848P: the P4P800S, -E Deluxe, SE, -X

Some of these are very similar to each other. If they share the same BIOS with P4P800 then that's probably a good sign. )Edit:They all have different BIOS.)
I'm interested in the P4P800-X mostly because of the layout, but the price is really low too.

I have been looking for A64 for a long time because of price, but this is really interesting. If I bought a PM instead I wouldn't need a new PSU right now for instance, and mobo price (with adapter) would be roughly the same as for A64 mobos.

X-86 Secret says they will test it in a few weeks.
We have to wait and see if they will, but as usual, it's so hard... :?
Last edited by Mats on Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mats

Post by Mats » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:39 pm

Tibors: I guess you should be lucky....
ASUS advices to use mainboards qualified for operation with the adapter and Intel Pentium M or Celeron M microprocessors. Currently the list of such mainboards is limited to P4P800 SE and P4P800-VM products powered by Intel’s 865PE and 865G.
From XBitlabs.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:16 pm

I hope that Asus will make this compatible with Intel D875PBZLK motherboards. If they do, I'll buy it. :D

Mats

Post by Mats » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:52 pm

I don't get it, does the CPU get power from that connector? What about power regulation? If that's the fact then there will be no undervolting or overvolting without modding. Especially not overvolting, the circuits are probably not dimensioned for more power. You get 1.34 V, period. That's maybe why low power PM is not supported. Too bad, because it's quite easy to raise the Vcore via the socket. I can see something that looks like a small MOSFET and no coils but I don't know, I'm really not good in electronics. I hope that the connector is for the adapter circuits, not the CPU.

It would be great to overclock it, since you won't overclock the chipset as long you're under 200/800 MHz. Quite an unique situation these days. That makes every 865 mobo a good overclock candidate for a solution like this in theory, you don't need the best Lanparty mobo for heavy overclocking.

ASUS will most likely make a new mobo with S479 and desktop chipset just to make it easy for those who want to buy a new mobo. They will probably not be alone, after what I've seen reported from IDF I expect more desktop PM solutions.

Mats

Post by Mats » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:50 pm

Look what this guy could get out of a rather inexpensive PM 715 1.5 GHz and a DFI mobo.
Now let's say he was extremely lucky, and those who get 2.8 GHz out of a S939 3000+ are also very lucky. The question is, which one would you get if this ASUS solution could overclock that good? The CPU price difference in Sweden is $70, and other component prices being equal.

Remember, he is pushing his NB from 100 to 183 MHz while P4P800 runs at 200 stock, I really hope that we somehow can use that advantage, it's all up to the adapter.
The PM 7x0 series are supposed to overclock even better.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:17 am

Mats wrote:ASUS will most likely make a new mobo with S479 and desktop chipset just to make it easy for those who want to buy a new mobo. They will probably not be alone, after what I've seen reported from IDF I expect more desktop PM solutions.
This could be huge and very exciting, lets hope that intel does not try and strongarm board makers. I think its embarassing for them how poorly their flagship core has done especially considering the growth in sales of laptops (and thus P-M).

Mats

Post by Mats » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:51 am

This could be huge and very exciting, lets hope that intel does not try and strongarm board makers.
At first I was afraid of that too, but then I saw reports from the latest IDF. Lots of small, stylish "Concept PC's", HTPC and SFF, impossible to make out of a P4, shown by Intel! Some of them used the dual core PM.

aidanjm2004

Re: pentium-m for socket-478 adapter - coming soon?

Post by aidanjm2004 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:43 am

this is an exciting development!

Mats

Post by Mats » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:19 pm

Ryszard @ Hexus wrote: I'll have a sample when I get back from CeBit, so look out for the review.
The adapter covers two of the holes, as I suspected. :x
http://img.hexus.net/v2/internationalev ... or_big.jpg

admin edit for oversied pic. read the guidelines
Last edited by Mats on Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

aidanjm2004

Post by aidanjm2004 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:57 am

Mats wrote:
Ryszard @ Hexus wrote:I'll have a sample when I get back from CeBit, so look out for the review.
The adapter covers two of the holes, as I suspected. :x
http://img.hexus.net/v2/internationalev ... or_big.jpg

admin edit for oversied pic. read the guidelines
Interesting to see Asus market the product (on the packaging) as/ for an "Incredibly Quiet Desktop".

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:09 am

admin wrote:admin edit for oversied pic. read the guidelines
Sorry about that, the pic was smaller in the Hexus page, better use the Preview function next time...

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:16 pm

A few questions on this adapter:

Does it support speedstep?
If not, then you might as well save yourself some money and use a 90 nm Celeron M with 1 MB cache. Performance wise it’s very close to Dothan and overclocks well, allegedly.

Does it monitor the CPU’s thermal diode?
If not, you will not be able to optimize a temperature controlled CPU fan, without an external temperature sensor.

Mats

Post by Mats » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:02 pm

ASUS product page.

Translated from Akiba (some pics too, nothing new really):
The core it seems that the Socket 478 conversion adapter for Pentium M which has become topic from the time before between the original user more and more becomes sale. The product besides the fact that with "CT-479" of ASUS, the effect wherethe high-speed electric brain with the Web sight is sold in the earlier April is notiified,withカクタソフマップ 18 days (the gold) from execution schedule, in addition 23 days (the water) from has made the shop front exhibition the schedule which executes demonstration.Estimate value 7,000Yen level with high-speed electric brain.
"CT-479" requires with the product which is displayed with CeBIT 2005, can load Pentium M of Socket 479M correspondence onto the Socket 478 motherboard, the generally known "geta". The private CPU cooler belongs, CPU Pentium M 1.3GHz of the Banias core - Pentium M 1.5GHz of the 1.7GHz super, Dothan core - 2.26GHz super, Celeron M 1.2GHz - 1.7GHz super corresponds (ultralow voltage/excludes Pentium M of voltage edition low).

According to ユニティ of the ASUS agency, you call this that with the product which is planned in Japan, also リテールパッケージ and the manual are shipped in Japanese correspondence. As for this product, correspondence BIOS necessary, already as for several products says on motherboard side as necessary hardware requirement that with the correspondence being completed, the i865PE chip set on-board Socket 478 motherboard "P4P800SE" of ASUS "P4P800-VM" is corresponding with up-to-date BIOS as a concrete example. You say that in the schedule which keeps releasing consecutive correspondence BIOS concerning the other current ASUS product, it has become the schedule to which also "P4GD1" of the Pundit series and i915P chip set loading releases correspondence BIOS. Furthermore, according to the same company as for SpeedStep being not to operate main point note.

It is the product of the attention which can try Pentium M which easily is in the midst of popularity rising for the person who has the Socket 478 motherboard of ASUS make. In the future we would like to observe to product information and the shop front demonstration etc. which are renewed.

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hmsrolst » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:13 am

I don't know if this has been noted before, but the latest P4P800-VM Bios (10016) lists support for the CT-479 as part of the update.

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hmsrolst » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:07 am

Looking at some of the pictures on other sites, it looks to me as if it wouldn't be hard to remove the fan and replace it with a 70mm-80mm adapter and then use a nice quiet L1A. at 5v. Any issues with this approach?

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:40 pm

Legit Reviews:
Also of special note is the power header for the heat sink fan that draws off the socket. Can't say that I have seen that before, but with Intel 755 CPU's only needing 1.34V and the i865/i875 boards offering much higher voltages they should have no problem with the power draw.
Why the fan connector? Can't they just use the one on the mobo?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:21 pm

He dreamed up that fan connector. The connector in the pictures has 4-pins and a big sidetab with a hole in the middle. That is the format for a floppy power connector. Fans go either in a 3-pin connector with a small sidetab or a 4-pin connector with a small off-centre sidetab.

Legit Reviews might have put their logo on all those pictures, but I think they have never seen an adapter up close. He probably just got his (mis)information from other sources on the web and the Asus press release.

B Bennion

Post by B Bennion » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:51 pm

Rusty075 wrote:Err, how are you supposed to mount a heatsink?

mats wrote:I know, that's why I said
mats wrote:And then I realized that it would probably be impossible anyway.

There must be workarounds though. I have five ideas, quite hard to tell which of them that will work right now.
1. Put the P4 machined aluminium pieces upside down. (My guess is that it will be too high (about 18 mm higher). Modify it a little so it won't slip out of the bracket.)
2. Make new pieces. (I can do it but i realize that most people can't.)
3. Put spacers under the P4 retention bracket. (Don't think you can put so much extra there.)
4. Modify bracket. (Maybe the most complicated because of the design.)
5. Put a piece of sheet metal between the clip and the HS.
Now some of those ideas will only work together with some other. For instance, if [1] gets too high as I suspect, then combine with [5]. [5] is not a standalone solution. (OT: [5] can work with lidless CPU's in some other situations)

Be innovative! :wink:
How about asking ASUS to solve the mounting problem for us?? (Seems the easiest on paper-- any bets on reply when I ask them?)

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:51 am

Tibors: Actually, I was just wishing :oops: that it was a power output, not input, just because that probably means no voltage change as I said earlier. I was looking at my Fanmate and realized the connector looked different. I think you're right, unfortunately.