8 harddrives in closet

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

One

8 harddrives in closet

Post by One » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:02 pm

My computer is fanless with the Zalman Reserator making the most noise.

I made the hole through the wall as small as possible to prevent much noise from leaking out. I had to remove all cables and make the hole a little bigger a few times. Putting all cables in place was like a puzzle.

I found a white thing where you put papers inside, I turned it upside down and was able to make an extra layer of harddrives (you can add many layers).

"White thing" for papers

2x Samsung Spinpoint 160GB (SP1614N)
6x Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB (ST3250823AS)

Papst fan 1500 rpm (8412NGL)

I also have the ADSL modem and UPS (uninterruptible power supply) inside the closet because they make a high pitch whine.

The only problem with this is that the seek noise is transmitted to the wall from the IDE cables (it is tight). I use a Samsung drive for OS and the other one for backup that is in sleep mode. I use RAID0 for video editing and RAID10 for storage. The harddrives are on 24/7 and there is no problem with heat with the closet door closed, I have a Papst fan there just in case, the fan is on top of white hard foam sucking air from the drives. Once a week I open the closet door for a few hours to let the warm air outside. The Samsung drive in idle is only 31 degrees celcius (the one that gets most airflow).

The 45 cm IDE cables are just long enough. The red SATA cables are 1 meter. All drives are on top of pink foam.

Both computers are open and therefore facing the wall.

Image __________ Image
A mess of cables between the computer case and wall.  __________ PSU is hot and good to warm up feet on.

Image __________ Image
7 harddrives with 60 cm SATA cables.  ______________________________ Pink foam under harddrives.

http://vp3.0catch.com/pictures/harddrives_closet.htm (if pics don't work)

Pauli

Post by Pauli » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:21 pm

That setup makes me want to shoot myself. Ugh! Can't you organize it at least a little bit? Eh, well, I guess if it's quiet in your room...

One

Post by One » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:09 pm

Pauli wrote:That setup makes me want to shoot myself. Ugh! Can't you organize it at least a little bit? Eh, well, I guess if it's quiet in your room...
It is organized and just how I want it. As I said, putting all the cables in place was a puzzle (cable length etc.), but it may look like I just placed all stuff randomly somewhere. The power cables under the desk are hanging freely in the air and not touching other cables, because as an audiophile you want as little interference as possible.

For all those other non-audio cables I could make them look a little better, but I don't care how it looks, I rather have all cables easily visible instead of hiding them somewhere. Hey, if the cables are not in the way and it is quiet, that's fine by me. :D

Pauli

Post by Pauli » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:52 am

Well, if it works and is reliable and stays cool, it looks like a pretty good solution. How much total disk space do you have?

One

Post by One » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:19 pm

Pauli wrote:Well, if it works and is reliable and stays cool, it looks like a pretty good solution. How much total disk space do you have?
With those 8 drives = 1.2 TB. (1.66 TB without RAID)