replace power supply fan?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

serfurj

replace power supply fan?

Post by serfurj » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:23 am

is it possible/recommended to replace the noisy power supply fan? i've never disassembled a power supply that wasn't dead and don't want to mess it up.

m_yates

Post by m_yates » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:35 am

People around here do it all the time. Search the forums for modding power supplies. However, you have to be sure that the power supply is getting enough cooling. Simply droppping in a slower fan may cause it to overheat. My personal opinion is that you are better off purchasing a new power supply if you want a quieter one. Get a power supply that is more energy efficient so it requires less cooling. Seasonics are some of the best. They have some of the highest energy efficiency ratings and come with very quiet fans. Also, you are better off (for both cost and noise) getting only the wattage you need. Generally 300-350 Watts will power nearly all desktop systems, including those with multiple hard drives and powerful graphics cards.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:41 am

You might want to look here:
PSU Modding Threads
before you start opening up a PSU.

Once you've read a bit about it and can make smart decisions about it, there are no real problems in modding a PSU.

serfurj

Post by serfurj » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:03 pm

thanks.. buying a new power supply is tempting.

so with a PSU that has better efficiency, does that mean my computer uses less watts or my computer's components receive better power? in other words, if i get a more efficient power supply with the same watts, will it use the same amount of energy?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:06 pm

serfurj wrote:so with a PSU that has better efficiency, does that mean my computer uses less watts or my computer's components receive better power? in other words, if i get a more efficient power supply with the same watts, will it use the same amount of energy?
It will actually use less. Let's say that your system consumes 90W of DC power. An older PSU (like the Antec TP-380S), will draw 139W of AC Power at 65% efficiency.
If you decided to upgrade to a more efficient Seasonic S12-430, it would only draw 110W of AC Power, with 82% efficiency.

Your system will still only consume 90W DC, but the power supply will consume less power by being more efficient.

serfurj

Post by serfurj » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:07 am

well i bought a seasonic PSU. much quieter. thanks.

when i put my hand next to the fan, it's just as hot or hotter than my old noisy PSU. i expected it to be cooler since it's more efficient.

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:45 am

serfurj wrote:well i bought a seasonic PSU. much quieter. thanks.

when i put my hand next to the fan, it's just as hot or hotter than my old noisy PSU. i expected it to be cooler since it's more efficient.
But the quieter fan is almost certainly lower flow. A main secret of quiet cooling is to use just enough flow, no more. Waste is noise. :wink: