Any experience with Toshiba Satellite M30X?

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JanW

Any experience with Toshiba Satellite M30X?

Post by JanW » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:16 am

I'm in the marked for a notebook, and this one looks like having a decent price/performance. But on some forums, people repeatedly mention the fan of the M30X coming on often / irregularly. This can be avoided in the "quiet mode" in Windows, which is achieved by quite severe underclocking if I understood correctly. And I'm not sure there is an equivalent mode under Linux, which I'll be using a lot.

Anyway. My main question is: how obtrusive is the fan on this notebook? In other forums it's invariably described as "not too bad", but then some people add "at least more quiet than my main rig" --- so it might still be quite bad.

EDIT: wording

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:45 am

Jan, I just got that notebook.

The fan IS obtrusive and pretty loud when it's on. And it's more like an on/off, no rpm regulation. It seems it's quite powerful though because it blows for a few seconds then stops.

The start/stop is very annoying to one who's accustomed to quiet computers but unless you're doing heavy processing the on/off cycle is spreadout timewise.

The noise is very similar to a fast CDROM drive spinning. In fact, several times I mistook it for the DVDRW (the DVD on the M30X is on the wrong - read left - side and the fan on the right :) )

All that said, the LCD screen is SO ABSOLUTELY AWESOME that you might want to tolerate a bit of noise for the fabulous colors :)

JanW

Post by JanW » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:54 am

This sounds like a perfect candidate for undervolting :twisted: . If only mods on a notebook didn't immediately void the warranty...

Thank you for that input, burcakb. The description you give of that noise is what I feared it would be like. This tilts the scales in favor of the Samsung X20. It's supposed to have a very good screen, too. And if I buy in Germany, it's not much more expensive than the Toshiba. I'll report back on it if it turns out to be decent.

EDIT: before anyone asks, Samsung notebooks are only available in Europe and Asia.

jzn

Post by jzn » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:37 am

Hi,

I have one! And after I installed RightMark CPU Clock Utilityhe is as quiet as quiet can be! I downgraded the ATI9700 and the Centrino processor is managed by the RM CPU Clock utility.
With the standard energy tool from Toshiba the laptop will be like a vacuum cleaner.

You can download the tool at:
http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

I am very glad with this notebook! Keyboard is very good, even as the image quality.

jzn

Post by jzn » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:42 am

I have one! And I am very glad with it (keyboard is wonderful just as the lcd screen). In the beginning he was very loud, like a vacuum cleaner. But after I installed RightMark CPU Clock Utility he is as quiet as quiet can be!
You can download RM CPU Click Utility here:

I downgraded the speed of de GPU and Memory of the ATI9700 which helps to decrease heat. You will extend the lifetime of the laptop and battery too by decreasing the speed of the ATI.

JanW

Post by JanW » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:02 am

Welcome to SPCR!!!!, jzn.

And thank you for the feedback! However, my order for the Samsung went out earlier this week... I won't have it for at least a week, but I'll be sure to mention how it performs.

machanic

Post by machanic » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:39 am

jzn wrote:I have one! And I am very glad with it (keyboard is wonderful just as the lcd screen). In the beginning he was very loud, like a vacuum cleaner. But after I installed RightMark CPU Clock Utility he is as quiet as quiet can be!
You can download RM CPU Click Utility here:

I downgraded the speed of de GPU and Memory of the ATI9700 which helps to decrease heat. You will extend the lifetime of the laptop and battery too by decreasing the speed of the ATI.
Hi,

Sorry for bumping this up but I have a question. What settings do you change to make it quieter.

Thanks
machanic