What did I buy?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

androgeny

What did I buy?

Post by androgeny » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:37 pm

Went to a computer show today, not expecting to find anything, and came home with some 120mm fans that I'm scratching my head about.

I was not able to get a good picture of it, but there is a very small Globe logo stamped into the hub.

Corners are closed and it's a 2 wire.

I'm accumulating the pieces for a noise reduction upgrade and these were the first 120mm fans I had found for a decent price, so I don't have any real reference as to their noise. I'm planning on purchasing one or two Nexus fans, so I'll be able to compare at that point.. Problem is, I don't know when I'll be getting the rest of my parts, so I can't give an ETA on any comparative tests.

Thanks in advance! :)

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:40 pm

You bought a globe - a very good fan.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:59 pm

A link to a thread about 120mm fans, including the Globe :

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=16393

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:19 pm

Yep, it's a Globe. Like FG said, very good fan. But, the point of my post was to say,

WELCOME TO SPCR!!

androgeny

Post by androgeny » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:29 pm

I've been lurking around, trying to find the 'right' fan - thanks to the information here, I felt pretty confident that I had found something good.

I had checked all the links I could find and was mostly convinced I had found a Globe, (which is why I went back and got a few more :) ) but wanted to get an outside (expert) opinion.

The vendor I purchased them from is a small "Mom & Pop" outfit from Philadelphia. Their work email is a hotmail account and they don't have a webpage. I don't know how difficult it would be to order fans from these guys, but I'd be more than happy to throw some business their way if anyone is interested. "Show Price" on the fans was $8 and they also had a fan that looked a lot like the clear Acoustifan, but I didn't get a good look at it (not really into the bling).

Thanks again, I'll undoubtably have some more questions as I finish getting the rest of my parts. While I'm no stranger to building computers, this will be my first purely acoustic upgrade and I'm really excited about pulling it all together. It was a good feeling when I started reading people's system specs here and saw that my choices were very widely used :)

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:06 am

A,

Could you post their email address or phone no.. No one has been able to locate a globe unless you want to buy a 1000 for a while. - Thx - FG

androgeny

Post by androgeny » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:25 pm

no problem FG, here's all their info.

Jerry & Sandy
3607 Earp St.
Philadelphia, PA 19146
(215)-334-7194

[email protected]

If you live in an area where MarketProShows puts on computer shows, then there's a good chance they'll be there.

Since I got my fans at the show, I can't vouch for their mail order reliability. Suffice to say, it's extremely low-tech. Email them what you'd like and they'll get back to you... at least, that's what I was told at the show.

I have no idea who their distributor is, or how many of these fans they have. I know they had a fairly large box of them at the show, but that could be their entire stock.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:36 pm

Thanks,

Have you tried yours yet?

androgeny

Post by androgeny » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:31 pm

I haven't really gotten the chance to see how they sound. :plugs one into 12v:

My computer room is really too loud to do much real testing. But if I get within about 6" of the fan, I can hear a noticeable hum. I'm assuming it's motor noise. If I get closer, I can start hearing air moving.

Unfortunately, I don't have any first hand experience with other 120mm fans. Any real subjective testing done by me at this point is up for debate :P

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:28 am

I'm sorry to dissapoint anyone but that looks like a globe clone rather than a globe proper.

Globe logo is always very prominent, with a globe formed of longitude & lattitude lines with no Saturn-like halo. The fan model number should have a "12" before the last L to show it's a 12V fan, and 120mm globe fans draw 0.18A, not 0.15A. And when using a white label usually the bottom half is printed with a blue or some other background color. Otherwise it looks identical to a Globe.

Could globe have produced an OEM version? Of course, but I doubt they'd put on a wrong company logo. Considering that Globe is a HUGE supplier of quality fans, I wouldn't be surprised of somebody "imitating" them.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:08 am

Could it be an older logo and model enumaration?

androgeny

Post by androgeny » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:48 am

Or could it be that a 3rd party company is taking Globe's rejected fans and slapping their own, similar logo on it? (similar to Yate Loon/Nexus, only in reverse :) )

There is a proper Globe logo stamped into the plastic on the side opposite the sticker. (second picture in my original post, it's the "scuff" in the upper left portion of the hub) This logo co-incides to the barely visible logo found here, that I found from Edward Ng's Panaflo/Globe/AcoustiFan comparison article. (for argument's sake, there is a Globe logo stamped on the front of the AcoustiFan. It's extremely hard to see, but it's there)

That still leaves the .03A difference between the fans. Could the fact that there is no RPM sensing or thermistor account for this difference? (sorry if that's a silly question, I'm still fairly new to this level of fan discussion)

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:55 am

Hi,

your guess on the current difference could be correct. 30mA isn't much, but it's enough to incorporate a tacho circuit. Not sure on how the temperature sensors are implemented. It has more components than just the actual sensor.

But then again, how much weight can there be given to the current rating on different fans labels? The newer Panaflo 80L1A's say 100mA, but the actual current draw should be around 60-70mA, IIRC.