My Enermax EG365P-VE is different than the one in the articl

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

agraham

My Enermax EG365P-VE is different than the one in the articl

Post by agraham » Wed Aug 21, 2002 9:51 pm

I have an Enermax EG365P-VE.

I was looking at the enermax modding article, which was done with a PS of the same model number:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... d=9&page=1
and it mentioned that the thermistor stuck to the coils controls the 80mm fan speed. On mine, the thermistor that controls the 80mm fan is sticking out of the PS entirely.

There is _another_ thermistor that _is_ glued onto the coils.

I know the external thermistor runs the 80mm fan, as the fan has five wires: red/black/yellow cables that plug straight into the mobo, and the external thermistor wires. At no point does the 80mm fan connect to the PS itself, so there is no way the internal thermistor could be influencing it.

So the question then, is what is that internal thermistor for? Does it variate the 92mm fan? My gut says yes. I've temporarily removed the 80mm fan (see next topic), and my sense is that the PS is getting almost as loud as it ever was, which says to me that 92mm fan is speeding up.

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: My Enermax EG365P-VE is different than the one in the ar

Post by MikeC » Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:50 pm

agraham wrote:So the question then, is what is that internal thermistor for? Does it variate the 92mm fan? My gut says yes. I've temporarily removed the 80mm fan (see next topic), and my sense is that the PS is getting almost as loud as it ever was, which says to me that 92mm fan is speeding up.
I'm sure you're right. The newer models with the manual fan speed control works similarly. The speed of the 80mm fan at the lowest setting of the knob is tied to the thermistor so that if the thermistor gets hot, the 80mm fan speeds up without you touching the knob. The thermistor, which also controls the 92mm fan speed, is in the voltage supply that feeds the manual control. So when the PSU is cool, the manual knob gives you quite a wide range between highest and lowest speeds. But if the PSU is hotter, like if you remove the 92mm fan, then the range between lowest and highest speeds that can be dialed in for the 80mm fan becomes much smaller -- even at the lowest speed, it spin nearly at full tilt. IE, it is a fail-safe function, designed to ensure a fairly high airflow should one of the 2 fans stops completely. Not exactly noise-friendly, is it?

shunx

Re: My Enermax EG365P-VE is different than the one in the ar

Post by shunx » Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:29 pm

MikeC wrote:IE, it is a fail-safe function, designed to ensure a fairly high airflow should one of the 2 fans stops completely. Not exactly noise-friendly, is it?
You are right, I noticed that when I took off the 9mm fan. I'm not too satisfied with this purchase of the Enermax.

MikeC, I see that you are from Vancouver too. Any advice on very quiet PSUs that can be purchased locally? I use a AthlonXP 1800+.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Oct 06, 2002 3:14 pm

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't know of any Vancouver shops that sell the Zalman or Seasonic PSUs, although the Q-tech & Zalman are available online in Canada. However, it IS possible to quiet your Enermax, with some modding -- which does require care & an understanding of basic electronics, maybe soldering, and a quieter fan; the latter can be found locally, though your choices are basically limited to the Vantec quiet fans -- not the greatest, IMO. Check through the PSU articles -- in article and mods/projects.

The basic idea is to reposition the thermistor in the PSU to a cooler spot so it gets pretty much taken out of the circuit, and use quieter fan(s). You lose the warranty and the PSU life *may* be shortened due to higher temps.

Gdog123

Post by Gdog123 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:32 pm

Hey guys, I just installed an Enermax 365P VE-FC...and the 80mm fan is supposed to be controlled by the mobo...does anyone know how I can do this? Thanks.