PC Power & Cooling PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

perplex

PC Power & Cooling PSU

Post by perplex » Mon May 16, 2005 7:03 am

i am planning on buying the PC Power & Cooling 510 Deluxe power supply. but i heard its quite noisy so i was wondering if anyone has replaced its 80mm fan with a nexus or something?

Thanks.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Mon May 16, 2005 7:23 am

Are you buying it for your Celeron 2.8GHz? Unless you're running an SLI system on that (!) there is no need for such a high powered power supply, and if you're doing that silence pretty much goes out the window... a Nexus 80mm wouldn't cool a power supply sufficiently when it's outputting 200W+ of power (and at least 50W of heat).

perplex

Post by perplex » Mon May 16, 2005 7:33 am

sorry i didn't say but i chose that power supply because i think its the only power supply with voltage regulation and ripple control of such high quality. the computer will be for audio purposes so the sound card will need need to be fed with as clean power as possible.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Mon May 16, 2005 9:13 am

That's supposed to be a good psu. I think it already has a pretty quiet fan but it has to spin so fast to keep everything cool.

You could mount another fan on the intake side creating a push pull arangement.

You can create a duct from the front intake to the outside of the computer to make sure its getting cool air. The duct is described for other psu's so you will have to search for more information. - FG

And one other thing - you can get a t balancer to create your own temperature/fan speed curves. If you add a second fan. I think it would be an interesting modification.

donut

Post by donut » Mon May 16, 2005 11:07 am

It's a good PSU, but it is nowhere near quiet. My current system is somewhat noisy as is, but even being used to that, the turbo cool 510 was unbearable. Not only loud, but a really annoying higher pitched kind of fan noise. I had to switch back to my old psu(enermax 435W with dual fans). I wouldn't recommend the turbo cool 510 to anyone but hardcore overclocking at all costs fanatics.

perplex

Post by perplex » Mon May 16, 2005 12:05 pm

hmmm :/ i read posts on another forum with people that are audiophiles replacing the fan and being happy with the acoustics. the only reason i'm thinking about this psu is because of the cleanER power that this PSU produces. anyone know a PSU that produces just as clean power? the specificiations are on the pcpow.com website.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Mon May 16, 2005 12:26 pm

perplex wrote:sorry i didn't say but i chose that power supply because i think its the only power supply with voltage regulation and ripple control of such high quality. the computer will be for audio purposes so the sound card will need need to be fed with as clean power as possible.
Unless your sound card is powered with a separate Molex connector, I'd imagine the PSU circuitry on the motherboard is likely to introduce a fair bit of noise no matter what PSU you use. If you really care about clean power for your audio card, you'll probably need to get an external box that is powered separately.

perplex

Post by perplex » Mon May 16, 2005 12:44 pm

yeh its settled, thanks for the help guys i'll be looking at an alternative. the clean power of that PSU is probably overkill when all the factors are weighed up.

good night.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon May 16, 2005 2:15 pm

perplex wrote:yeh its settled, thanks for the help guys i'll be looking at an alternative. the clean power of that PSU is probably overkill when all the factors are weighed up.

good night.
Even better is to get an external soundcard (like a USB or Firewire Soundcard). This isolates the soundcard from the power supply (and motherboard) electrical noise.