New 180mm case fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Slaugh

New 180mm case fans

Post by Slaugh » Sun May 15, 2005 9:00 pm

I just found this news on Matbe today (translated in english). They're talking about new 180mm case fans! I'm wondering how quiet they are and mainly, how we're gonna put those inside a normal case!

Image Image Image

(Click on the pictures to enlarge)

breakspirit

Post by breakspirit » Sun May 15, 2005 10:54 pm

that fan could kill a person

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun May 15, 2005 11:04 pm

breakspirit wrote:that fan could kill a person
No way. It can't be very powerful, it doesn't even have a large centre hub. Plus it's plastic. There's lots of other fans, such as Deltas, and Cor-something Rotrons(the 172mm ones with the metal blades) which would be far better choices for attempting to kill people with.

breakspirit

Post by breakspirit » Sun May 15, 2005 11:15 pm

mathias wrote:
breakspirit wrote:that fan could kill a person
No way. It can't be very powerful, it doesn't even have a large centre hub. Plus it's plastic. There's lots of other fans, such as Deltas, and Cor-something Rotrons(the 172mm ones with the metal blades) which would be far better choices for attempting to kill people with.
I was really just joking. However, I did once get my finger in a 7000rpm delta and it quickly became a bloody mess all over.

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun May 15, 2005 11:22 pm

Uh, well, in that case, I was joking too. So if anyone turns up decapitated by a delta fan, I had nothing to do with it.

atomidude

Post by atomidude » Sun May 15, 2005 11:31 pm

wow, 180mm fans, i want one right now! just imagine that monster at 400rpm, pushing lots of air, it should be quiet at very low speeds.
i even know how to mount it on the side cover, to replace my 120mm aluminium Evercool: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=20515

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Mon May 16, 2005 2:17 am

Very low frequency too, but is that such a good thing?
Just think - no need for a CPU fan with one of these! (Or any kind of fan for that matter!)

And it should be able to kill a person, but I'd use the corners of the frame rather than having it spin...

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Mon May 16, 2005 5:31 am

At this rate I can see the entire side of your case becoming one big slow moving fan maybe 400mm! I can dream... :oops:

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Mon May 16, 2005 6:17 am

so how long until we see the "ceiling fan mod" popping up on the forums?

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Mon May 16, 2005 6:50 am

My first impression is that it might be going to far. I mean, what will this fan really do for you that a 120mm fan won't? It really would need to run 400rpm in order to be quiet. And will it really be blowing much more air than a 120mm fan at 700rpm? Will it be much more quiet? And the airflow will be even more spread out than a 120mm fan. So it won't provide any directed airflow.

Just some thoughts I had.

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon May 16, 2005 3:28 pm

I think it might actually be very useful. It could serve as an intake/CPU/VGA fan. Maybe even a hard drive fan too, mount the hard drives in 5.25 bays and duct the air from the fan that misses the CPU and GPU to the drives.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Mon May 16, 2005 3:55 pm

I'm going to duct tape a box fan to the side of my case... and for overclocking, I'm going to add a leaf blower for intake. Anyone knows how to silence one of these suckers?

PS. Just kidding. Don't threaten to decapitate me with a Delta, please!

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Mon May 16, 2005 4:21 pm

So how long before Zalman or Thermalright put a heatsink under one of these .
Just what I need in my Micro ATX case . :twisted:

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Mon May 16, 2005 5:13 pm

I'm suddenly reminded of that picture where someone used an industrial fan to cool of their entire case.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Mon May 16, 2005 6:10 pm

Green Shoes wrote:so how long until we see the "ceiling fan mod" popping up on the forums?
:D :)
Seriously though, people are getting more and more weary of LARGE computers (I know I am). There was a time when fullish towers were much more popular, now most people stop at mid towers (other than stacker, v2000 etc). Other than that, this could be OK I guess, although it'll let correspondingly more noise out.

alglove

Post by alglove » Mon May 16, 2005 7:45 pm

Instead of modding a ceiling fan to the back or side of a computer case, why not do it the other way around? Stick a motherboard right under the ceiling fan that is already in the middle of the room! :shock:

Or maybe you want to stick the motherboard above the ceiling fan. I have not thought through the "blow vs suck" arguments yet.

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon May 16, 2005 8:56 pm

tay wrote:Seriously though, people are getting more and more weary of LARGE computers (I know I am). There was a time when fullish towers were much more popular, now most people stop at mid towers (other than stacker, v2000 etc).
That really didn't make sense. What did people need those huge cases for back then? Airflow was hardly an issue, Most people didn't have CD-writers, and earlier, not even CD-rom drives, never mind fan controllers or display pannels. Not only were CD-drives expensive, but IDE would probably have been bottlenecked by two drives sharing a channel(correct me if I'm wrong), and hard drives were expensive too.

Maybe we'll see a turnaraund back to huge cases. Maybe wide ones, with DVD changers.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Mon May 16, 2005 9:44 pm

mathias wrote:That really didn't make sense. What did people need those huge cases for back then?
I dont really know (need is such an interesting word) but I remember it being the case in the enthusiast/OC crowds. It was right after people started shying away from desktop cases. Anyway, I think smaller PC's have a much better wife acceptance factor and the smaller cases can be used more than just in a home-office especially now with thin LCDs.

perplex

Post by perplex » Tue May 17, 2005 7:31 am

Shadowknight wrote:I'm suddenly reminded of that picture where someone used an industrial fan to cool of their entire case.
got link?

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Tue May 17, 2005 8:48 am

mathias wrote:
tay wrote:Seriously though, people are getting more and more weary of LARGE computers (I know I am). There was a time when fullish towers were much more popular, now most people stop at mid towers (other than stacker, v2000 etc).
That really didn't make sense. What did people need those huge cases for back then?
To fit stuff. Ever see a vesa local bus card? Expansion cards used to run the full length of the motherboard--and then some. Also, a 5.25" drive used to refer to a floppy disc, not a CD-ROM. And of course, there's a reason why "half-height" drives are called "half-height". Guess how high they used to be!

There was also a time when the serial and parallel ports that are now stuffed in an ATX mobo backplane often consumed expansion slot backplanes. And you also consumed expansion slots on a disc controller. Heck, you could consume an expansion slot on a MOUSE controller.

Computer stuff used to be just plain bulkier than today's stuff. I really don't see it going back to how it was before.

nici

Post by nici » Tue May 17, 2005 10:14 am

Check this picture out, its from a Finnish computer magazine, number 12 of year 1990.

Here´s a quick translation by me..

FOUR GIGABYTES!
If you need really large amounts of mass-storage or just want to own the largest hard-drive station on the block, the Storage Dimension four gigabyte is the solution. The price is 30.000$, but what would not pay to be the king of the hill?

atomidude

Post by atomidude » Wed May 18, 2005 3:16 am

would you please mind being on topic? we are discussing about 18cm fans, in case you forgot... :?

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Wed May 18, 2005 4:09 am

atomidude wrote:would you please mind being on topic?
On topic discussion????? You must be new here. :D :)

mantrogo

Post by mantrogo » Wed May 18, 2005 4:14 am

4Gb mini-ipod £150...

Sometimes forget just how fast things change - gee I remember when it was 80mm fans or 80mm fans only :roll: but then I'm practically a fossil...

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Wed May 18, 2005 4:43 am

atomidude wrote:would you please mind being on topic? we are discussing about 18cm fans, in case you forgot... :?
Oh yeah, I forgot my on topic comment earlier:

I can see potential usefulness for large diameter fans if it's the one fan in the system. You'd use multiple ducts from the fan to feed air separately to the PSU, CPU, GPU. By using multiple ducts, you get essentially the same effect as multiple smaller fans directly feeding fresh air separately to each component. However, there's potentially less noise and the airflow can theoretically be generated with less loss in turbulence.

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Wed May 18, 2005 5:29 am

Perfect size for a heater core, if they have any pressure.

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Wed May 18, 2005 5:55 am

IsaacKuo wrote:
mathias wrote:
That really didn't make sense. What did people need those huge cases for back then?
To fit stuff. Ever see a vesa local bus card? Expansion cards used to run the full length of the motherboard--and then some. Also, a 5.25" drive used to refer to a floppy disc, not a CD-ROM. And of course, there's a reason why "half-height" drives are called "half-height". Guess how high they used to be!

There was also a time when the serial and parallel ports that are now stuffed in an ATX mobo backplane often consumed expansion slot backplanes. And you also consumed expansion slots on a disc controller. Heck, you could consume an expansion slot on a MOUSE controller.

Computer stuff used to be just plain bulkier than today's stuff. I really don't see it going back to how it was before.
That wasn't even that long ago, either; a computer I built 6 years ago filled 7 PCI slots with crap; the one I built last week had everything but the video built onto the motherboard this time around. It's a nice feeling to not have your case so stinking crowded.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Wed May 18, 2005 6:12 am

mantrogo wrote:4Gb mini-ipod £150...

Sometimes forget just how fast things change - gee I remember when it was 80mm fans or 80mm fans only :roll: but then I'm practically a fossil...
I remember when it was no-fans-required (except maybe a milk bottle on top of the Speccy to prevent overheating). You need a Welcome to SPCR!

I think IsaacKuo has a great idea. Four 90mm ducts (approx...) would provide great spot cooling, and since the hottest components don't recycle their air it should mean even less noise. The only thing we need now is a case that will fit such a large fan...

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Wed May 18, 2005 7:07 pm

I just found this case mod on 2CookTek... Ok, it's not a 180mm fan but a 170mm fan, and it's probably not so quiet... but that can give some ideas! :wink:

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Thu May 19, 2005 5:31 am

I believe the nickname for that was the 'waste disposal unit'...