Zalman NB cooler help plus some advice

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zorander

Zalman NB cooler help plus some advice

Post by Zorander » Wed May 25, 2005 8:30 am

I recently bought the following in order to quieten the system:
Antec Truepower 430W
Zalman ZM80D-HP (fanless VGA cooler)
Zalman ZM-NB47J (fanless NB cooler)
Thermaltake Silenttower (stock fan replaced with Zalman ZM-F2 at 5V)

Everything, except the NorthBridge(NB) cooler, were installed. The NB is situated close to the AGP port and I will probably have to shorten a section of the NB cooler if I were to install it succesfully. Has anyone done this before?

How can I also quieten the harddrive (which makes audible grinding noise in seeks, but otherwise silent in idle mode)? I am intrigued with the rope/elastic thread suspension technique; are there many here who use this technique?

System spec:
A64 3000+ (Winchester)
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 (nForce3-250GB)
512MB PC-3200 RAM
Radeon 9600
Seagate 7200.7 80GB SATA (8MB cache)
E-MU 0404 soundcard
Generic casing

Thanks!

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Thu May 26, 2005 5:33 am

* Bump *

RachelG
Patron of SPCR

Post by RachelG » Thu May 26, 2005 7:24 am

Hi Zorander!

I think the reason you haven't got any replies is that your post suggests that you haven't done any background reading on the forums yet.

Regarding the northbridge cooler - lots of people have modded theirs as documented in a variety of threads.

Regarding drive suspension - some sort of drive decoupling is virtually a sine qua non for SPCR members! There are multiple methods (again, try searching the forums). If you don't fancy suspension, you could always sit your drive on a piece of foam or sorbothane.

Happy reading and good luck with your silencing!