Ducting

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pendu

Ducting

Post by Pendu » Fri May 27, 2005 3:35 am

I have read many articles on ducting and i am convinced that ducting has alot to offer cooling.

Here is my proposed idea/ theory.

Right now there are 2 components which wither come with or require a fan to cool it.

1) CPU
2) GPU
3) Northbridge

From the list above the GPU has a sort of ducting heatsink already available and that is the arctic cooling nv silencer.

The northbridge only needs a fan because the cheapo manufactures can only afford to put some rusted piece metal they got from the local scrap yard on it as a heatsink. You can use a zalman and some careful planning with case fans not even need a fan.

Then we come to a CPU. The traditional setup is that a fan is placed over the heatsink and then blows air down onto the heatsink (PUSH).
This would then cause the air to brush past the hot fins of the heatsink hence transfering energy (in the form of heat). This would then leave air to go in mixed direction around the case.

Here's my plan, to build a duct which will be attached to the rear exhaust and hover just over the heatsink fan. The fan will pull instead of push and blow the fan into the duct and hence out of the case.

Has anyone tried this and got good consistant results? or is this a first?
I know some have tried ducting air from outside the case onto the cpu heatsink. But my thinking was if you could lower the case temp then you could achieve a similar result and also benefit all other components in the system.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Fri May 27, 2005 3:45 am

Dell.

Pendu

Post by Pendu » Fri May 27, 2005 3:47 am

??? :?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri May 27, 2005 3:55 am

Yep Dell....

I just parted out a rather newer Dell...P4-2.53. It had a very large aluminum heatsink. There was a blue plastic duct that lead to the rear case fan, a 92mm, 32mm thick very quiet fan. That fan and an 80mm fan in the PSU were the only two fans in the case.

FWIW....I've used this sort of ducting a number of times. Works well and is quiet.

Pendu

Post by Pendu » Fri May 27, 2005 4:18 am

I'v never bought a Dell. I was thinking of making the ducting out of acrylic. I did Systems and Control from technology at A-level and worked with plastics everyday. Making Moulds and heating up the sheets of plastic then putting the moulds beneath them and cooling them. Instead of using some papers and duct tape i thought i'd make one using acrylic and araldite.

florecilla

Post by florecilla » Sat May 28, 2005 2:29 am

Hi Pendu.

Care to provide a link with some info on the plastic/acrylic thing?

It for sure would be very wellcome here ... I for one am planning to make a ducting mod like that (Optiplex gx270 from Dell's have it, plus a very quiet power supply).

It must be quite nice ... with all due respect to ghetto modders out there! ;)

Pendu

Post by Pendu » Sun May 29, 2005 11:17 am

Hi mate i'v gotten the acrylic from BandQ, 9 quid for the sheet i'll get you the dimensions as soon as i get it outta my dads van.

I'll be using a glue they use on aircraft to glue the pieces togeather, however if my teacher is no longer teaching at my old school, good old araldite will do the trick.

I will make a post later on the dimensions of the duct inclusing some graphics to give you the idea of the shape of it. Also how i intend to attach it.