Expert opinion wanted on my new 'silent' DAW system!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

k2500x

Expert opinion wanted on my new 'silent' DAW system!

Post by k2500x » Sat May 28, 2005 4:08 am

Thanks in advance to all you SPCR experts out there.
I'm building a PC DAW for my home studio and I'd like to get it as silent as possible without breaking the bank. Keep in mind that this is a system that will be running with very high CPU loads.
I'm a long time SPCR lurker, and I've done my homework on this system, but please let me know what you think!

Case: Antec SLK3000B
MB: Asus A8V Deulxe
CPU: AMD Venice 3200+ (Plan to OC within reason)
Cooler: Thermalright XP-120 w/ panaflo or nexus fan
RAM: 2Gb Corsair ValueSelect PC3200 (4 x 512Mb)
HD: 2 x 160Gb Samsung Spinpoint SP1614N ATA133
Video: Matrox P650 Dual DVI
Sound: EMU 1820M
Power: SeaSonic S12-430 (could get by with less power?)

So what further (obvious) steps might I take to (easily) quiet this system down?

Thanks again,
Ken

mongobilly

Re: Expert opinion wanted on my new 'silent' DAW system!

Post by mongobilly » Sat May 28, 2005 4:48 am

The Seasonic 330W should be plenty for that machine as the P650 isn't very powerhungry, is it?

Personally I'd get a tower cooler though (Sonic Tower or Titan Vanessa L).

Lliam

Post by Lliam » Sat May 28, 2005 7:10 am

Good set-up!
Why the PATA version of the spinpoint? I have a suspended sata spinpoint for audio and samples only in my DAW, and it works well. About 100 more tracks than my old seagate PATA (using dskbench.exe as a theoretical test ). My system drive is a PATA though.

I've heard mixed reports about the EMU1820 with regard to unstable drivers. I have a delta 66 in my DAW which has great driver stability and low latency for working with those soft synths!
See this Cakewalk forum for more information about the EMU.

Try and get a San Diego core if you can afford it as the 1Mb cache is helpful for getting a few more plug-ins.

Sorry not really quiet advice but it looks quiet enough (going against the ethic of continuous tinkering in pursuit of the sonic equivalent of a black hole!)

Best of luck with the build and post a link of some of the music you make on your new machine...

Lliam

Post by Lliam » Sat May 28, 2005 7:10 am

Sorry posted twice

k2500x

Re: Expert opinion wanted on my new 'silent' DAW system!

Post by k2500x » Sat May 28, 2005 7:34 pm

mongobilly wrote:The Seasonic 330W should be plenty for that machine as the P650 isn't very powerhungry, is it?

Personally I'd get a tower cooler though (Sonic Tower or Titan Vanessa L).
Well I know the P650 doesn't require any extra power.

Are you sure one of these tower coolers would fit in my case and on my Asus A8V motherboard? From what I understand, these probably need a fan on them anyway. So it's not going to be much different then a XP-120 with fan. Just a lot bigger it seems. Any other opinions regarding this?

Thanks,
Ken

k2500x

Post by k2500x » Sat May 28, 2005 7:39 pm

Lliam wrote:Good set-up!
Why the PATA version of the spinpoint? I have a suspended sata spinpoint for audio and samples only in my DAW, and it works well. About 100 more tracks than my old seagate PATA (using dskbench.exe as a theoretical test ). My system drive is a PATA though.

I've heard mixed reports about the EMU1820 with regard to unstable drivers. I have a delta 66 in my DAW which has great driver stability and low latency for working with those soft synths!
See this Cakewalk forum for more information about the EMU.

Try and get a San Diego core if you can afford it as the 1Mb cache is helpful for getting a few more plug-ins.

Sorry not really quiet advice but it looks quiet enough (going against the ethic of continuous tinkering in pursuit of the sonic equivalent of a black hole!)

Best of luck with the build and post a link of some of the music you make on your new machine...
I chose the PATA simply because I've heard of many DAW systems having trouble with SATA. Pops and skips and such. Also, I was not aware of such a major performance difference between the PATA and SATA versions of the spinpoint. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Ken

funkindown

Post by funkindown » Sat May 28, 2005 8:06 pm

Hi Ken

Your system looks pretty similar to my one. Im running with:
A8Vdeluxe
AMD 64 3500+ (about to be mounted with a XP120 and a Nexus, maybe today if I get time.....)
Seagate 40GB Baracuda 4
Samsung SP1614N
couple of optical drives
Matrox P650 (Uses only 15W, I found out by emailing Maxtor) - can't recomend it highly enough.
ESI-PRO Wamirack 192X - 8 in 4 out external audio breakout box connected to PCI card
Antec SLK3700 with stock 350W PSU, no problems running everything at once, so you shouldn't require such a powerful PSU. You may want to try something more like the M Audio 2496 if your concerned about driver stability. Apparenty the M Audio drivers are pretty rock solid, but Ive got no first hand experience with them....

Regs
Andrew

mongobilly

Post by mongobilly » Sun May 29, 2005 12:29 am

A good 300W PSU should be plenty for these systems.

But honestly, the Antec SLK3700 PSU is painfully loud.

k2500x

Post by k2500x » Sun May 29, 2005 4:20 am

mongobilly wrote:A good 300W PSU should be plenty for these systems.

But honestly, the Antec SLK3700 PSU is painfully loud.
I forgot, the system may include up to 2 DVD drives, a floppy, and possibly some USB powered components (portable drives, midi keyboard) if that makes much of a difference on the required power supply.

As far as the EMU card goes, I've had a lot of caution regarding them. But I have heard of people with no problems. The specs look fantastic on paper. So I got an amazing price on the 1820M and decided to give it a shot. If it doesn't work out I'll try ESI or RME.

-Ken

k2500x

Post by k2500x » Sun May 29, 2005 5:45 am

funkindown wrote:Hi Ken

Your system looks pretty similar to my one. Im running with:
A8Vdeluxe
AMD 64 3500+ (about to be mounted with a XP120 and a Nexus, maybe today if I get time.....)
Seagate 40GB Baracuda 4
Samsung SP1614N
couple of optical drives
Matrox P650 (Uses only 15W, I found out by emailing Maxtor) - can't recomend it highly enough.
ESI-PRO Wamirack 192X - 8 in 4 out external audio breakout box connected to PCI card
Antec SLK3700 with stock 350W PSU, no problems running everything at once, so you shouldn't require such a powerful PSU. You may want to try something more like the M Audio 2496 if your concerned about driver stability. Apparenty the M Audio drivers are pretty rock solid, but Ive got no first hand experience with them....

Regs
Andrew
Hey Andrew,
I just read here that the xp-120 does not work on A8V motherboards. I'm pretty sure I've hear otherwise on a different forum though. Can you confirm if it works?

Thanks,
Ken

scorpionv

Post by scorpionv » Sun May 29, 2005 6:29 am

As far as computer components go, everything looks pretty good. My only reccomendations being: I'd reccomend going with a Seasonic S12 380w or 430w, just because that way the cooling fan won't ramp up on you; With the hard drives I'd definitely go SATA even just for cable management's sake, and the price difference is usually very small.

On the Pro Audio side of things, if you can get the money together, I'd definitely reccomend going with RME right from the start. I have owned a EMU 1212M (same as 1820M, just no breakout box), and was very dissatisfied. The drivers are very buggy and the control panel is very clunky. If you have any more questions on the EMU/RME cards, or other pro audio gear feel free to PM me as I did quite a bit of research before building my setup, and after replacing a few items (like the EMU) am now very happy with my setup.

k2500x

Post by k2500x » Sun May 29, 2005 11:43 am

scorpionv wrote:As far as computer components go, everything looks pretty good. My only reccomendations being: I'd reccomend going with a Seasonic S12 380w or 430w, just because that way the cooling fan won't ramp up on you; With the hard drives I'd definitely go SATA even just for cable management's sake, and the price difference is usually very small.

On the Pro Audio side of things, if you can get the money together, I'd definitely reccomend going with RME right from the start. I have owned a EMU 1212M (same as 1820M, just no breakout box), and was very dissatisfied. The drivers are very buggy and the control panel is very clunky. If you have any more questions on the EMU/RME cards, or other pro audio gear feel free to PM me as I did quite a bit of research before building my setup, and after replacing a few items (like the EMU) am now very happy with my setup.
Are you sure the cooling fan will ramp up faster in the 330w? From what I can see in the SPCR reviews, the fans make the same level of nosie at their respective power usage (ie 200w is going to produce 25dBA no matter which model your using).

funkindown

Post by funkindown » Sun May 29, 2005 2:15 pm

Yeah, XP120 fits, just. Ive got about 2mm clear from the ram. Tight fit but it works.
Yeah the fan is noisy with the stock SLK3700BQE. PSU is next on the list. Im just not sure if I will go a phantom350 or mount the SLK3700BQE fan inside an old amplifier I have and mount the hot components to the heatsink inside the amp. The heatsink will dissipate the heat, but Im not sure about the whole system. Extending the DC cables from outside the PC into the PC will be a fun task..... It would leave the PSU hole open and could help in moving some heat out of the case, maybe eliminate the need for a chassis fan???? What to do..... What to do......

Regs
Andrew

halfpower

Post by halfpower » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:10 pm

It looks okay to me. I'd check to see how much power draw the E-mu takes. Some E-mu cards require a 4 prong connection to the PSU.