Enclosure shootout

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sooty

Enclosure shootout

Post by Sooty » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:26 am

AC Ryan Xilencer, SilenX Luxurae, Cooler Master CoolDrive Lite Showdown
SPCR did a good job testing the CoolDrive 6, but the above test includes dB testing, that SPCR didn’t include. It appears the CD-Lite won’t allow a lower fan speed (unlike the CD-6), it’s either passive or full speed.

Mr Flibble

Post by Mr Flibble » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:23 pm

I've often wondered about that silenx thingey - what's the point putting heatsinks on the drive sides if you then decide to cover the heatsinks in a box :roll:

I wish that included the silentmaxx enclosure, and maybe the smartdrive 2002... And that new Nexus one. Or am I just asking too much :lol:

atomidude

Post by atomidude » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:49 pm

Mr Flibble wrote:I've often wondered about that silenx thingey - what's the point putting heatsinks on the drive sides if you then decide to cover the heatsinks in a box :roll:
i'll tell you why: those heatsinks have channels along them, the foam does not block the airflow along the heatsinks. my Samsung SP1614C is installed in the Silenx Luxurae, bottom of the case, so it "steals" a bit of airflow from the 120mm Aerocool Turbine blowing from the side cover. the hdd enclosure is installed in a "foam cube" that blocks the front of the case, so the air is forced to "wash" the heatsinks. sure, the airflow is minimal, but just enough to keep my hdd at 37C when ambient is 25C. not too bad, ha? and i hear no seek noise, nor whine from the hdd. since everything inside my case is on passive cooling and the fan spins at 550rpm, my computer is absolutely quiet. i have been using the silenx enclosure for a few months now and i think is an excellent product, providing is properly installed, making sure it gets a few cfm along the heatsinks.

Mr Flibble

Post by Mr Flibble » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:54 pm

Looks like my initial assessment was too hasty then :oops:

perplex

Post by perplex » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:52 am

what the hell is up with that site? its infested with ads and doesnt even load half the time (for me)