Nexus 120mm Fans: The most quiet case fan solution?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

geminite

Nexus 120mm Fans: The most quiet case fan solution?

Post by geminite » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:31 pm

I am getting some new case fans, I was just wondering if the Nexus 120mm fans are the most quiet?

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... Technology

Its this one.

Thanks.

majinbuu

Post by majinbuu » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:52 pm

According to a lot of people ( including me ) they are, Spcr have them on there recommended list, thats good enough for me.

geminite

Post by geminite » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:45 pm

Just wondering, what's everyone's opinion on the Vantec stealth case fans?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.ph ... cid=FN.505

These ones.

If the difference between the Vantec and Nexus is neglible, I might just get the Vantec. (I can get em locally)

Thanks

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:53 pm

From what I've read, the Vantec is not highly regarded here...

Try a search on Vantec and see what you get. I recall quite a few posts where users were not happy with the sound levels.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:28 am

geminite wrote:Just wondering, what's everyone's opinion on the Vantec stealth case fans?
The Vantec runs at 1500 RPM and puts out about 53 CFM. The Nexus runs at about 1000-1100 RPM an puts out about 35 CFM. The Nexus is much quieter when both fans are running at 12V.

However, if you undervolted the Vantec so that it ran at an equivent RPM as the Nexus, it might be reasonably close in terms in sound level to the Nexus. No guarantees though.

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:23 am

If you're going for low noise - serously get the nexus, vantec are simply not as good

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:19 am

Vantec sucks. 3 years ago, before I even heard of SPCR I got 2 of these fans. Terrible noisy, even undevolted.

If you need something quiet that moves a lot of air, buy an Evercool aluminum fan and undervolt to 5v. MUCH quieter than Vantec, though louder than Necus.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:11 am

Just get the orange D12SL-12 slow speed yate loons at www.tekgems.com. They are very similar to nexus but much cheaper.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:01 am

m0002a wrote:
geminite wrote:Just wondering, what's everyone's opinion on the Vantec stealth case fans?
However, if you undervolted the Vantec so that it ran at an equivent RPM as the Nexus, it might be reasonably close in terms in sound level to the Nexus. No guarantees though.
Nope, not even close. The Vantec "Stealth" will be inferior to the Nexus at any voltage. Don't waste your money, it's not in the same universe as the Nexus.

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:12 pm

The 80mm ones have bearing noise at all speeds(not sure about motor noise), one of the two that I had had a really annoying pulsating/cycling noise, the other better one was still much worse than a zalman ZM-F1. The 92mm version is much worse, the 120mm version is probably also worse.

I'd guess they're by far inferior to the stock fans many of us replace (from our cases and sometimes power supplies).

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:51 pm

frankgehry wrote:Just get the orange D12SL-12 slow speed yate loons at www.tekgems.com. They are very similar to nexus but much cheaper.
Do these have RPM monitoring as well?

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:39 am

Yes. The D12SL-12's have tachs (rpm sensing)
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=20005

Tekgems also has D90SM-12's with tachs -
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ht=tekgems

They also have D12SM-12 blue led versions with tachs.

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:04 am

Thanks... I did a search, but I must be having problems using it.

I also tried to do a search to see if the corners were in or if I had to dremel it, but I didn't get any results... does it have the closed corners?

It looks like it does from the tekgems picture, but I can't be sure.

Thank you

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:22 am

They do have corner posts, but you can buy clips for xp-120's that clip to the top of the fan so you don't have to cut the corners out. Its no problem to cut out the corners, but I would rather not have too if possible. Nexus will have the same problem.

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:25 am

Really? I didn't know you could buy extra clips!!! I'll have to look for those.

Just curious, but have you tried any of the new Acoustifan Dustproof fans?

They're supposed to be much quieter and have more airflow... just wondering if these numbers on their website are factual or not.

Thanks

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:43 am

Dustpoofs are adda fans that have a bunch of extra diddly bobs (connectors, etc.) plus they are going to be real expensive. I don't think you can buy them in the us yet. Adda fans are in Lian-li cases, SilenX fans, seasonic psu's, others..

You can just buy an adda fan at www.mouser.com. I was going to but then I heard that they weren't anything special, but then I've never heard one so I can't be sure. Its possible that the dustpoofs are built to higher standards than regular adda's. Nexus are yate loons with different fan blades and lower air flow.

The clips were just posted yesterday with a link to where they can be purchased, so you could probably find it in the fan forum. - FG

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:57 am

frankgehry is right on the dustproof ADDAs. Not may of you know this, but before frank joined this SPCR cult, he had a serious fetish for collecting male thongs made of leather. As he joined SPCR, he was persuaded by the founders of SPCR to give up his love for leather. frank never got over this though and ended up switchin to another, a bit more healthier fetish, the fetish of fan collecting. So when frank speaks, he knows what he is talking about. This man has more than just a passion for fans.

Actually, can someone seriously tell me what use it is to any users to have a IP55-rated fan like the Acoustifan dustproof? Adda sells them actually as waterproof fans, mainly targeted at industrial applications. Usually when you get IP-rated for water, you get IP-rated for dust also. Acoustifan promises a lifetime of ~6 years for these fans, which isn't anything special when compared to normal fans. So in short, making a "dustproof fan" is just marketing BS that helps them to sell more fan.

hightower

Post by hightower » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:31 pm

good one aleksi :lol:

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:16 pm

I don't admit to having a fetish like frank's, but I have recently back-to-back compared samples of 120mm fans from Nexus, Papst, Yate Loon (Mad Dog), Antec (2.0 w/o speed monitor from a Sonata I case), and Vantec "Stealth."

That's the order in increasing noise. I quickly determined that the Vantec is only usable, even at 5V, when other loud components are present to overwhelm it's bearing/motor noise. The Papst fan moves more air then the Vantec with less noise, and that noise is largely wind noise. The Nexus is, indeed, extremely quiet, and noticeable step down in air movement from the others.

The Mad Dog Yate Loons (at least my two examples) are OK at 5V and 7V if mounted with isolators. The Antec 2.0 is pretty good at those voltages, too. No idea about it's speed but it moves air like the Papst.