will medium speed late yoons be silent at 7v?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aowen512

will medium speed late yoons be silent at 7v?

Post by aowen512 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:24 pm

im really trying to decide if i should just get the sunbeam rheobus fan controller (which i really dont want) so i can get my medium speed yate loon fans ( http://tekgems.com/Products/et-13714-fan-d12sm-12.htm ) down to atleast 5v so they are silent, or should i get a better featured/looking fan controller that only goes down to 7/6v will the 7 or 6 volts give be low enough to make these fans silent.... or near silent :?:

basically would you guys who need extreme quiet be happy with medium speed yate loons at 7 volts?? :?:

thx alot guys!! :D

L3thal

Post by L3thal » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:30 pm

I have the Sunbeam rheobus fan controller running medium speed blue LED Yate Loon's in my system. I have them running currently @7v and they are pretty quiet(moslty air noise), similar to the Nexus @12v, at around 5v they are near silent, but don't produce much airflow. The Sunbeam is one of the better looking fan controllers(with the exception of the super-bright LEDS) IMHO. As you know, the Sunbeam goes all the way down to 0v, which can be good and bad...accidently bump the knob, and you might have a fan that gets shut off and you won't know it until your system crashes or CPU gets burned up :mrgreen: As a precaution, I just hook the CPU fan into the Mobo header, and let it regulate the fan speed. Also, you can't read your fan's RPM's through the Sunbeam. I think a better option would just be to get the Zalman Fanmate II's.

aowen512

Post by aowen512 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:11 am

ok thx for the reply

can you mind the sound of them?

120mm nexus at 12v is pretty quiet so i guess i could live with that

one bad thing about those yate loons from tekgems though is when i was looking at the yate loon website about them it seems that both of the fans that tekgems carries are sleeve, not ball bearing fans

not sure if that makes a diff to some of you but sleeves just dont last as long, even though they are usually a bit quieter

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:49 am

Hello:

The Nexus 120mm fan is made by Yate Loon -- and it has sleeve bearings, too. There are no hard as fast rules: some BB fans are noisy and/or they don't last, and ditto for some SB fans.

No one has yet mentioned having a Nexus or a Yate Loon wear out or even get louder. The only instance I can think of is that SeaSonic has switched to another fan brand with BB -- no comment on the noise. BTW, Yate Loon does make similar models w/ BB, but they are very hard to find, and the ones that are available are the faster models -- which are noisier.

aowen512

Post by aowen512 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:36 am

well thx for that tidbit... im going to get the yate loons probably and the super flower fan master... which newegg has right now for 30 bucks but its rebranded as aspire... but it has a cleaner faceplate so i like it better

thx for your help

please reply if you have anything else to add/comment about before i go ahead and order these