whats the difference between vivo and pvr?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pendu

whats the difference between vivo and pvr?

Post by Pendu » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:27 am

Oky guys i know this isn't a silencing topic but i need to know whether vivo graphics card will work just as well as pvr card. Also is there alot of diff between all in wonder cards and vivo?

CX23882-19

Post by CX23882-19 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:41 am

Most VIVO cards are just software based capture. PVR cards have a hardware MPEG1/2 encoder onboard.

If you want to capture AVI/DivX, then you don't need a PVR card. If you want to capture MPEG2 then you are better off going for a hardware PVR card. Good quality real-time MPEG2 software encoding will require 2.5GHz+ processor and it probably won't be as good as something like a PVR150 or Theatre 550. In comparison you can get by with a PVR card on around 700MHz.

Pendu

Post by Pendu » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:45 am

i see so if i wanted to record say a tv programe onto my pc it would be alot more cpu intensive if i used a vivo card and less cpu intensive if i used a pvr card.

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:54 am

Generally, VIVO is just S-Video or composite video in. This is fine for recording from a camcorder or VCR, but not for television. PVR cards generally have a coaxial cable input and a built-in tuner, so you have hook up your cable, change channels, watch and record TV. Most of the hardware-encoding PVR cards will come with some kind of software, but it is usually pretty stripped down and weak.

If you're looking to get into HTPC (home theatre PC), then check out www.snapstream.com. I've used several HTPC softwares over the past few years and there's has been the best I've seen.

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:57 am

Pendu wrote:i see so if i wanted to record say a tv programe onto my pc it would be alot more cpu intensive if i used a vivo card and less cpu intensive if i used a pvr card.
This is correct. Cards like ATI All-In-Wonder cards are software-encoders. They use your CPU to do most of the work. Cards like the Hauppauge PVR-250, on the other hard, are hardware-encoders. They use hardware to do the encoding, so your CPU doesn't get hammered, while you're recording.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:01 pm

Technically, the AIWs are hardware-assisted software encoding.... the hardware does some of the work. Still, a Hauppauge PVR-150 or 250 would be a better choice. ATI has horrible software.

As far as HTPC programs, give MediaPortal a try, http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net

Pendu

Post by Pendu » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:06 pm

thanks for the info guys much appreciated.