ckolivas

Reviewers not afraid to criticise bad product? WhisperRock V

Post by ckolivas » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:17 am

I just had to share this review with SPCRs:
http://www.thinkcomputers.org/beta/home ... ews&id=224

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:34 am

I noticed that review also, quite funny actually. Maybe they didn't pay him enough money to get a good review... :twisted:

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:50 am

Every once in a while a reviewer wants to find something to rip on just to keep his "street cred".

But one thing that's missing from his review and analysis is the price.... that is an $8 cooler. $8!! :shock: At some point the fact that it costs 1/4 of what you're comparing it to for performance has to factor in, you'd think. That's like comparing a Hyundai to a Porsche. Of course it's going to perform less....it costs as much as a tube of AS5. :wink:

Previous versions of the Whisperock have found a decent amount of support here in our forums for people with low-power CPU's looking for cheap yet quiet cooling.

Anyone who's using a new, fast, hot and expensive CPU isn't going to seriously look at $8 coolers anyway.

But even if you do want to discount the whole price issue, the performance wasn't even that bad. His CPU is at the upper end of the HSF's recommended usage, plus he's using a motherboard that over-reports temps by 7-10° (unless he's calibrated it, which I really doubt). So that means that his "Extremely Poor" load temp of 62° was actually 52-55° at the diode. And even if his temps were accurate, 62° is perfectly fine for a load temp, a fact that he seems unaware of. So it's performing as advertised. They don't seem to have any other reviews using that CPU/mobo, so I'm not sure what he's comparing it to. I suppose that comments similar to his introduction about there being too many people making heatsinks could also be said about the people doing reviews of them.

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:14 am

I have a WhisperRock IV. The base is horrid, but the performance isn't really that bad considering I have a Barton, which I think should be hotter than the Semprons and I didn't get that kind of temperatures.

From the pics, the heat sink looks the same... no changes, same shabby fins and all. Just the fan was different.

my load temperatures are what his idle temperatures ar though my room may be slightly cooler.

Maybe he was paid to bash, lol.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:54 am

I'm also running a Whisperrock IV with a different fan (a Yate Loon) on a Palomino (70W core).

70W is a lot for such a cheap cooler to handle at low rpms so the Yate Loon is doing 2000 rpms but cools it nicely at that. Can't expect more from such a cheap cooler. It's been running stable ina 30C room for 24/7 for about 2 months now - with only resets due to MS patch reboots.

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:41 pm

burcakb wrote:I'm also running a Whisperrock IV with a different fan (a Yate Loon) on a Palomino (70W core).

70W is a lot for such a cheap cooler to handle at low rpms so the Yate Loon is doing 2000 rpms but cools it nicely at that. Can't expect more from such a cheap cooler. It's been running stable ina 30C room for 24/7 for about 2 months now - with only resets due to MS patch reboots.
Hey, did you lap ur sink? I'm thinking of lapping it. I've been using it to run my Barton fanless at night(my coolermaster on it spins 2500rpm, fanless makes a big difference) and wondered how much difference would it make. Somehow I don't trust that guy because there is no way he can get 62C load....

aidanjm2004

Re: Reviewers not afraid to criticise bad product? WhisperRo

Post by aidanjm2004 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:01 am

ckolivas wrote:I just had to share this review with SPCRs:
http://www.thinkcomputers.org/beta/home ... ews&id=224
I used whisperrocks with my tualitin 1.13 and 1.4 ghz PIII processors. Undervolted with a zalman fanmate they were wonderfully quiet and gave more than adequate cooling. They make less noise than a zalman 7000 at 5 volts. I really liked them. I think they are a great value, considering how cheap they are.