Dell X1 a fanless very quiet notebook computer.

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fabola

Dell X1 a fanless very quiet notebook computer.

Post by fabola » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:28 am

I bought a Dell X1. Its very quiet since it has no fan!!! Its very portable 1.1kg!! Its has good 1280x768 12inch non glare screen. Downsides: not very fast (1.1GHz P4M), no internal optical drive, keyboard little bit small, get little warm on your lap.

At home I sometimes connect wireless to the big (and noisy) computer (locatad in another room) with the remote desktop program built into Windows XP. Of course the graphics update speed is to slow for games and watching videos, but I can use all installed software and get access to all documents.

Now I will try to build a new totally quiet desktop HTPC. I look at the zalman TNN 500AF case and Athlon 64 system with Windows XP MCE.

Coolin

Post by Coolin » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:50 pm

I also have the X1.

I was wondering what you think about the screen? I find my screen quite disappointing. The viewing angle is pretty bad, I have to look straight on to get any decent image quality. Also, the backlight is really uneven. The screen is not clear at all. I wonder if it's an isolated problem with my screen or if it's a problem with all X1 models.

mai9

Post by mai9 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:12 pm

I also have a Dell X1 :mrgreen:

I don't know about the screen, mine looks good, not terribly good, but can be used :) my biggest complain is not that gets warm, it simply can't be touched after long periods of use :(

fabola

Post by fabola » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:03 pm

Then I use the X1 only for internet browsing resting on a table it does not get so terribly hot, but if the CPU load is higher and its resting on an soft surface (pillow) its gets very varm.

The screens viewing angle it not so good, but I think its very clear - my destop screen with analog signal is for example not as clear. I look the Sony vaio xblack screen and it looks very good BUT the glaring its *terrible*.
So maybee the antiglaring coating on X1 reduce the sharpness and color fidelity a bit? Also on the X1 the backlight is not very strong and a little bit uneven.

But the most important - no fan, so quiet!

uchat

Re: Dell X1 a fanless very quiet notebook computer.

Post by uchat » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:17 pm

Dell x1 is a rebrand Samsung Q30, which is good. Samsung makes a log of cool notebooks. Too bad Samsung USA don't want to bring them here.

pipperoni

Re: Dell X1 a fanless very quiet notebook computer.

Post by pipperoni » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:22 pm

uchat wrote:Dell x1 is a rebrand Samsung Q30, which is good. Samsung makes a log of cool notebooks. Too bad Samsung USA don't want to bring them here.
If Samsung sold the Q30 in North America, they would be 50% more expensive then the Dell price (just as the Samsung 24xT is so much more expensive then the Dell 2405 lcd).

The reason Samsung doesn't sell the Q30 here though is because they have a non-compete contract with HP on the notebook front...

ckang008

Post by ckang008 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:43 pm

So no laptops will be quieter than this one?

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:12 pm

I think the perfect notebook is the HP dv4000 series. Excellent design, powerful, AND plays DVDs/CDs/Mp3s without being all the way on. Did I mention they're centrino powered? ;P

mai9

Post by mai9 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:18 pm

uchat wrote:Dell x1 is a rebrand Samsung Q30, which is good. Samsung makes a log of cool notebooks. Too bad Samsung USA don't want to bring them here.
living in Spain I could buy both, and I chose a Dell X1. iirc the Q30 was only available with 30GB (dell X1 has 60GB as an option), but it had a wonderful glossy screen (the ones that reflect) and was 1000€ more expensive.

Talking about prices, I bought my Dell X1 on June for 2000€ and I checked the price yesterday and it went up to 2400€. It was a major surprise for me.
acaurora wrote:I think the perfect notebook is the HP dv4000 series. Excellent design, powerful, AND plays DVDs/CDs/Mp3s without being all the way on. Did I mention they're centrino powered? ;P
I once was interested in that feature, but I think I prefer having a standalone mp3 player and save the laptop battery for what I really need it for: read this forum ;)
ckang008 wrote:So no laptops will be quieter than this one?
well, it's very quiet (and too hot for my legs after 20 minuts of use). I can only hear a hiss when sticking my ear to the keyboard or the bottom of the laptop. You can't hear the hiss when typing, the hdd neither.