Thermaltake Big Typhoon versus Zalman CNPS 9500 (xbitlabs)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xarope

Thermaltake Big Typhoon versus Zalman CNPS 9500 (xbitlabs)

Post by xarope » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:35 pm

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/ ... -comp.html

I'd ignore the Titan Vanessa's and concentrate on their findings on the big typhoon and the 9500.

Looks like the big typhoon kicks 9500 fuzzy posterior!

mongobilly

Post by mongobilly » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:06 pm

Never mind that he goes on and on about LED fans and generally doesnt seem to have much clue. I just kicked Xbitlabs from my RSS reader for that article.

The Titan Vanessa L Type is one of the better silent coolers, for damn sure.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:13 am

That Big Typhoon will put huge torque on the motherboard, it is >800g and look at the weight distribution.

aurellie

Post by aurellie » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:56 am

vertigo wrote:That Big Typhoon will put huge torque on the motherboard, it is >800g and look at the weight distribution.
Big Typhoon's fins are made of aluminium, so most of its weight is based in cooler's base. So there is nothing wrong with weight distribution.

Althru i have to say i am very surprised with this results. TT cooler is good, thats for sure, but i expected quite revolutionary performance from new Zalman and that BigTyphoon would stay no chance against 9500. Hm...waiting for more reviews...maybe SPCR dares to compare this two, at last??

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:10 am

So there is nothing wrong with weight distribution.
I wouldn't be prepared to buy it to find out.

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:50 am

vertigo wrote:That Big Typhoon will put huge torque on the motherboard, it is >800g and look at the weight distribution.
I think you overrate the torque. I think this Typhoon has a screw mount, rather than a pressure latch mount. I think that is a very good thing if that is the case.

I think the damage from mounting heatsinks that require great pressures to latch cause far more stress to the motherboard and cpu spreader than the torque. As long as you don't drop you case I think it is fine.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:30 am

Sorry, I don't mean that it will be stressed in normal operation, I meant if bumped, etc, it will put huge torque on the board. The intel spec is only 370g.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:21 am

The ninja is 665g + ~165g for a fan = 830g
The thermaltake includes a fan at 813g.
The si 120 is 400g + 165g for a fan = 565g.

They are all over the intel spec.

mikellpp

Post by mikellpp » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:24 am

I replaced my xp90 with a Big Typhoon about 3 months a ago. All i can say is, it cools better and quieter.

The Big Typhoon weight includes the fan and fan guard, if you subtract 190 grams for them from the total of 810 grams it is just 620 grams.

I think the weight/torque is a non issue, as i removed the heat spreader on my Athlon64 2800 Newcastle and the Big Typhoon
mounting system is superior to the xp90 and provides great contact, direct to the cpu core. I o/c the cpu at 2520MHz.

The xbit findings are in line with my experience.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:51 am

Thanks for your positive comments on the mounting. I've been interested in this sort of heatsink for when I put together my next computer. It's be a perfect match for my flipped PSU fan techniques in a mini-tower case. (In a mini-tower, the PSU is to the side of the mobo instead of above it.)

vine-au

Post by vine-au » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:05 pm

The mounting brackets are large and provide sufficient support for this beast. I got mine about 3 months ago and i cant believe the performance and low noise. I had odd vibrations in the HS until i realised i had left out 2 motherboard mounting screws :? I'm going to lap the HS though (soon as i can find a retailer here in australia)
My only issue was that the H mounting bracket conflicts with with some components on my A7N8X-E and i had to cut a piece out of it.
It's big, but the quiet and cooling is worth it. very impressive Tt.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:38 pm

You know, I'm not sure who to believe...the majority of the reviews of the big tyhphoon show it as a great cooler...but not at the levels the x-bit review is claiming. One review had it beating the CNPS7700 by 6 degrees at full load, another showed it losing to the Beetle, another had it losing to the NT02 cooler, and yet another had it achieving slightly better performance than the xp-120 when they were both set to 9v. So, until someone other than x-bit does a review of the cnps9500, an english review, that I don't have to translate twice, I thinkt he jury's still out on the 9500. Besides, didn't that Bit-tech review claim that the first batch of 9500's may have had issues with base contact?

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:13 pm

Do not take ANY reveiew at face value -
You need to consider thier priorities ,their methodology , their consistency of results etc and draw your own conclusions .
Sometimes a supposedly bad product may suit a specific aplication that the reviewer may not have considered or a supposed good product may not be of any use for the purpose you intended .
My suggestion is to read all the reviews you can find and draw your own conclusions , If possible to actually check the products out , even just having a look at them in person is a distinct advantage .
I often buy things as soon as they come out sometimes before they hit the reviwers and have a play around with them (cases and coolers in particular) I often find that I strongly dissagree with reviwers - but my usage is different too.
So the best place to find out if anything is junk is the forums - from peoples personal experience but even there you have to be aware of prejudices both positive and negative. Also be aware some of the products people use very succesfully on this forum in particular have been modified by some very skillful individuals to get that success .

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:38 pm

ryboto wrote:...the majority of the reviews of the big typhoon show it as a great cooler...but not at the levels the x-bit review is claiming..
That is my impression as well (the x-bit performance is better than can be expected).

I have just spent a whole heap of time checking Vanessa L reviews and some of the comparisons have the Big Typhoon. The real gotcha in any comparison is to try compare like with like and 2 places I found that used the same fan on both a Vanessa L and a Big Typhoon had them giving pretty similar results - check Computerbase using a NoiseBlocker NX1 and SilentHardware where they used a Yate Loon. (Both in German, except the pictures and graphs are in English :lol: )

GHz

Post by GHz » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:34 pm

Don't worry too much about torque. I have a Zalman 7700-CU installed on a lidless X2, and I'm not the least bit concerned about it.