Clean wiring - IDE cables behind mobo

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sn1009

Clean wiring - IDE cables behind mobo

Post by sn1009 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:43 pm

I am doing a redo of the wiring in my P4C system and would like to know if it is recommended to place IDE cables in between the mobo and the mobo tray.
I am thinking that the traffic on the IDE cable might interfere with traffic on the mobo - but is it a problem?

Thanks

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:54 pm

Well I've routed IDE wiring almost everywhere in the case, including behind the MB......no problems evident.

But from an installation/maintenance viewpoint, it's probably not the best solution. Better to neatly fold the cables, or to choose rounded cables of exactly the right length. I'm all the time trying new things, so captive cables would be a hassle.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:36 pm

Just fold the cables over itself, no benefit in improving airflow if there's an extra layer of ribbon on top of the hd ribbon.

sn1009

Post by sn1009 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:44 pm

ok. I'll look into routing the IDE cables a different path.

Thanks for your replies.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:59 pm

I've also seen rounded IDE cables routed between the motherboard tray and the side panel - if you have holes in the tray for this.

vine-au

Post by vine-au » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:02 pm

i change components around far too much to route the cables behind the mb. I just use a bit of forethought and cable ties to get them tucked out of the way. soft round cables are essential.

flarkit

Post by flarkit » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:45 am

SPCR taught me that flat ribbon cables are superior to the silvery rounded type for neatness and cooling's sake. The ribbon sort can be folded (with some patience) exactly as one wants them. I have mine tucked in a space beside the drive cage, so that just the connector and a tiny section of the cable are seen. The rest is well-folded and tied in place.

This came after using rounded cables for a year, before reading that flat cables can be moved completely out of the path of the airflow, which is almost impossible with rounded cables.

I also don't recommend folding them between the motherboard and its tray. Isn't there a risk of damaging the cable?