mobo speaker on Asus A8N-SLI Premium?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gesundheit

mobo speaker on Asus A8N-SLI Premium?

Post by gesundheit » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:28 am

I read somewhere in this very helpful forum that many modern mobos have a tiny speaker on them. But I can't find one on the Asus A8N-SLI Premium I'm putting in my new build, so I'm assuming I'll have to buy one in order to hear the beeps from BIOS/POST codes. There does not seem to be a case fan in my P180 either. Can an Asus Premium owner verify this for me? And does anyone know where to find one of those tiny piezo speakers (like this one) in Canada? Thanks!

nutbar

Re: mobo speaker on Asus A8N-SLI Premium?

Post by nutbar » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:34 pm

gesundheit wrote:There does not seem to be a case fan in my P180 either.
You meant speaker I presume. I don't think the P180 includes a speaker, mine doesn't seem to have one either. My A8N-SLI Deluxe does not have a built in speaker, which I found disappointing. It made initial troubleshooting very hard (first motherboard was bad, RMA...) until I realized there was no speaker. I had to scaveng a speaker from another case.

Interesting to note, is there is an obvious place on the Deluxe where a built-in speaker would be attached. Asus wanted to save an extra dime on each board. Cheapskates.

gesundheit

Re: mobo speaker on Asus A8N-SLI Premium?

Post by gesundheit » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:04 pm

nutbar wrote:You meant speaker I presume.
Indeed I did. :oops:
Asus wanted to save an extra dime on each board. Cheapskates.
It does seem odd to me as well. These are "Deluxe" and "Premium" boards, and they are literally saving a dime. Now I have to order this from the States and wait to have it arrive so I can properly troubleshoot my installation. Of course I may have no problems at all, but what are the odds of that happening on my first ever build? :roll:

openwheelformula1

Post by openwheelformula1 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Asus A8N SLI premium does not have a speaker built in. Even better, you simply plug in your computer speakers into the onboard sound, it trouble shoots the problems for you.

gesundheit

Post by gesundheit » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:22 pm

A reasonable suggestion, except my current computer is hooked up to speakers through a stereo receiver, and it is not physically convenient to connect to this sound system from where I'm building the pc. So the little mobo speaker I've ordered looks to be the cheapest and simplest way to get sound going while assembling and testing.

ManuelX

Post by ManuelX » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:35 pm

I'd think the simplest way is to simply buy a cheap set of speakers to hook to the onboard sound. seems very cheap and available.

gesundheit

Post by gesundheit » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:48 pm

That may be true, but the speaker I ordered is only $0.99 plus $3.40 to ship it here, and it slips into a socket on the motherboard, so it wins on price and ease of use. However it does lose on having to wait, but it looks like it will be another couple days before I get some of my other components anyway, so I'm learning to be patient (it's tough!) Thanks for all the help!