Sharkoon Silent Eagle

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

elfurbe

Sharkoon Silent Eagle

Post by elfurbe » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:47 am

I've been researching some quieter fan solutions for my rig and I came across this on HardOCP, and I couldn't find any references to it in the forums here. Anyone even heard of these guys let alone this fan?

The specs seem pretty decent, but then the specs on the Thermaltake Silent Cats seem pretty decent too, but not so much from what I've read.

This is from their website:
Silent Eagle 1000/2000:
12VDC
1.44W
1000RPM/2000RPM
11.4CFM/22.7CFM
8.9dB(A)/17.8dB(A)
80x80x25

Anyone had any experience/heard anything good or bad about them?

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:39 am

never heard of it. but i can guarentee you that its not 8.9db(A). looks to me like someone just half'd the noise generated by the 2000rpm model, which isnt how it actually works.

the specs for the 2000rpm version all look to be believable. although their is more to fan noise than just its db(A) output. the frequency's and possible artifact noises like clicking etc, matter alot more, and you wont find out about that without a review of them.

elfurbe

Post by elfurbe » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:02 am

Agreed, on the review. I've found lots of sites that posted "reviews" like "So, we swapped out one of our 7 case fans on the test rig with this thing and WOW is it quiet! On our A64 4800+ X2 Dual 7800GTX quad-Raptor test system running Quake 4 at 2560x1600, we couldn't even hear it over the jet-turbine-rivaling sound levels from the video card fans alone!"

SPCR is about the only place that reviews these sorts of things with any scientific sensibility, so I was hoping one of the forum-ites might have done some independent testing. I mean, at those ratings, it should be competetion for the Nexus 80mm, assuming there isn't some annoying by-product noises, as you said. It costs about the same (xoxide.com) as the Nexus (endpcnoise.com), but you get slightly higher airflow at around the same dB raiting.

I'm just ready to trade in my Vantec Stealths (I know, I know. I was young and knew little of the ways of SPCR...) for something a little more noise-friendly so I'm trying to find something in 80mm that can replace all 5 of my case fans without giving up the majority of my airflow. After the case fans, my Vantec AeroFlow is next on the choping block. That TMD fan is annoying as all heck.

nici

Post by nici » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:54 am

Is this the fan with golf balls as blades? Spose i could order one the next time i need to order something, its pretty cheap anyway..

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:53 am

If MikeC doesnt wanna drop the cash for it, i'll buy him one to review. It's an interesting design concept, i'd like to know how well it does in the real world.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:12 am

Please don't pay for it... not yet. Just email xoxide and ask them to contact me about sending a couple of review samples over. FYI, I just called them and there was no answer.

elfurbe

Post by elfurbe » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:42 pm

Now that's some activity!

Yeah, this is the golfball fan. I'm no aeronautical engineer, but I truly don't understand how the golf-ball-inspired dimples are going to improve anything. In case anyone's interested, Why Golf Balls Have Dimples (howstuffworks.com). Taking that concept and trying to understand how it will effect forced airflow is beyond my aeronautical capabilities I suppose.

It'd be great to get a review on them. Should we ALL be e-mailing xoxide or is there a dedicated person to contact vendors?

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:59 pm

MikeC wrote:Please don't pay for it... not yet. Just email xoxide and ask them to contact me about sending a couple of review samples over. FYI, I just called them and there was no answer.
or i could just donate to your pocketbo... i mean website and you could buy it :wink:

that way i'd get a nifty name tag for it too!

and just to let you know, i went ahead and emailed xoxide to ask them to contact you about sending some review samples.

jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:00 am

Many members in thehe biggest forum in Germany dedicated to silence (silenthardware.de/forum) recommend this fan among the Coolermaster TLF-S and the Coolermate ALF-8S in the 80mm league. Nexus/Yate-Loon is also okay.

elfurbe

Post by elfurbe » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:57 am

jojo4u wrote:Many members in thehe biggest forum in Germany dedicated to silence (silenthardware.de/forum) recommend this fan among the Coolermaster TLF-S and the Coolermate ALF-8S in the 80mm league. Nexus/Yate-Loon is also okay.
That's good to hear. Did we ever get word back from Xoxide on review samles?

elfurbe

Post by elfurbe » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:31 pm

Just a bump-action to see if there's been any action on this? I'm still quite curious.

Mikael

Post by Mikael » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:32 am

The 2000RPM version of this fan was just reviewed at a swedish site called Sweclockers. Unfortunately, they only did subjective noise tests...Well, the result, according to the reviewer, was that the Sharkoon fan was slightly more quiet at 1500RPM compared to the 1500RPM Papst 12dB. According to the test, the fan was also just slightly more noisy at 2000RPM, compared to the Papst.

Can't say I trust subjective tests much though. It's about as useful as taking hi-fi advise from someone...

I'll be sure to buy one the next time I'm ordering something.

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:43 pm

it may not be as in-depth as SPCR, but here are my findings on the Sharkoon golf-ball fan: http://www.madshrimps.be/gotoartik.php?articID=354

I received a transparant LED version yesterday, for those who like to look at their PC cases instead of the monitors ;)

edit: forgot this one, a SPCR friendly black on white version http://www.madshrimps.be/index_spcr.php ... rticID=354

elfurbe

Post by elfurbe » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:37 am

Interesting info! It looks like the 2000 might be a pretty respectable performer. It'll be interesting to see what SPCR finds when they get to it.

OUTLAW

Post by OUTLAW » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:47 am

sharkoon is a companey baised in Germany and they produce modding stuff and other products.
I own a SE2000 and at 2000rpm/s makes strange buzzing noise. If you turn it down to 1000rpm the airflow is rubbish. IMo not the best choise for silent systems rather go for the panaflo or some other brand. For quiet systems its preety godd

nici

Post by nici » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:06 pm

OUTLAW wrote: I own a SE2000 and at 2000rpm/s makes strange buzzing noise.
Try hitting it with a golfclub and see if that helps :lol:

elfurbe

Post by elfurbe » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:23 pm

I know this is a total zombie thread, but this fan came up in conversation today. Was there ever a review?

In case you're curious about context, someone mentioned the Red Green episode where he beats dimples in his car, cause if they make golfballs work better, they must make cars work better, and I immediately thought of this wacky fan.

mk

Post by mk » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:03 am

I have reviewed both 80 mm versions at my website. Both are great fans.

The noiselevel of the 1000 model is only 14 dB(A) at 12 volt!

All sound measurements are listed in tables so even though you don't understand danish, you should be able to understand the most important part of the review. Sound is measured at a 1 meter distance with a B&K 2209 sound level meter.

Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 (80 mm) reviewed

Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000 (80 mm) reviewed

One thing that you can not read out of the tables is that the fans has a very low level of vibration. The fans comes with soft rubber mounts so Sharkoon addresses both acoustics (the fans are quiet) and vibration.

I recommend them.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:15 am

someone mentioned the Red Green episode where he beats dimples in his car, cause if they make golfballs work better, they must make cars work better
I really don't think this would improve the aerodynamics of a car; for one, if it did, you would see it on F1 cars. Also, aerodynamically, a golf ball is what is known as a bluff body, meaning that the major source of drag on the ball is pressure or form drag, which is caused by the area of low pressure that forms behind the ball as it moves through the air. Cars are (generally) streamlined bodies, for which the main source of drag is viscous or skin friction drag, which would be made worse by the dimples. It might work for really un-streamlined cars like a HumVee or a Mack truck.

As for the Sharkoon SE fan, there have been positive comments in the forum, I think amjedm has the 80mm and he was pleased with it, search through his posts.
Last edited by jaganath on Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:50 am

mk wrote: All sound measurements are listed in tables so even though you don't understand danish, you should be able to understand the most important part of the review. Sound is measured at a 1 meter distance with a B&K 2209 sound level meter.
where did you test this 14dBA reading 8)

mk

Post by mk » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:30 am

The Lab is my bedroom at night. The the lowest I can measure is 12 dB(A) but I usually stop at 14 dB(A) to insure accuracy.

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:54 am

your bedroom measures 12dBA at night... you do know that even in a soundproof recording booth where the noise level is without any doutb lower than a bedroom, they measure 20-25dBA ? ;)

iamweasel

Studio noise

Post by iamweasel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:50 am

jmke wrote:your bedroom measures 12dBA at night... you do know that even in a soundproof recording booth where the noise level is without any doutb lower than a bedroom, they measure 20-25dBA ? ;)
http://www.proav.de/data/studio-noise-levels.html I guess that would kinda depend on the frequency. I don't know however how well studios do adhere to these standards.

Honny

Post by Honny » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:46 am

I have 120mm 1000rpm version of this fan. It's produced by GlobeFan same as most Sharkoon fans. In my opinoin the blades design has not any noticeable effect on fan noise, it's quite good fan without any irritating noise, but there is'nt nothing special on it. Compared to other 120mm 1000rpm fans it has'nt any advantages.
But many traditional black Sharkoon fans are quite good choice as they are not overpriced and are made by globe fan.