P180 setup help

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zombunny

P180 setup help

Post by zombunny » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:21 pm

Hi, I'm starting a new computer and was looking a little help and advice here are my current components

P180 Black
AMD FX 55
Zalman CNPS7000B
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
AcoustiPack™ Deluxe (v2)
4 AcoustiFan™ DustPROOF Quiet Fans
Acousti Ultra-Soft Arrowhead Fan Mounts
74GB Raptor
Scythe Silent Box HDD Enclosure
1 GB twinx ram
Leadtek 6600GT Extreme

So far none of this has been assembled, I'm planning on fitting the syatem with all 4 AcoustiFan™ DustPROOF Quiet Fans running at 5V they produce 25.2 air volume at 10db so it should be ample cooling, but do I need all 4 and are there any tips you would reccomend?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:31 pm

Hiya.

Before I go on, I would strongly suggest reading up on reviews and articles on SPCR's superb website.

Without trying to sound nasty, I want to ask some questions and make some points.

P180 - Great case, what PSU are you planning on using.

FX55 - Most people dont mix overclocking with silencing, good luck.

CNPS7000B - Better heatsinks are available now.

A8N SLI Deluxe - Check out its incompatability problems with certain PSU's, and you will want to replace the NB Fan with a passive heatsink.

Acoustipack - Check out SPCR's review, you might not want to bother.

Acoustifans - Why.??? They are not better than the fans that come with the case, 25.2CFM @ 10Db, thats bullshit, you cant even hear 10Db, and they are not going to beat a Nexus.

Acousti fan mounts - you can do DIY for nothing and be as effective, I wouldnt bother myself.

74GB Raptor - No arguments.

Silent Box - Is it really necessary in a P180.???

1GB TwinX - No arguments.

6600GT - Seems a bit slow when your using an FX55.

If your going to be gaming you are better off with a faster Graphics card and a slower (much cheaper) CPU. Say a X800GTO (or better) and a 3700+ (good price/performance right now), also consider 2GB or RAM.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article30-page1.html
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article254-page1.html
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article255-page1.html

Andy

zombunny

Post by zombunny » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:22 am

Sorry thought I wrote it down, the psu is the phantom 500, reason I wen't with the dustproof fans is that the tricool fans are too noisy imo, and using all 4 fans with my massive cpu cooler, I don't think I'll have a problem as I can turn its speed down with a fan mate.

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:03 am

This is what I suggest:

Ditch the Zalman CPU-cooler and go for something better like the Scythe Ninja or Thermalright SI-120 with a Nexus 120mm running at low speed.

Use one nexus 120mm at the back of the case (seal top vent) and one in the lower chamber. Run both of them at about 650RPM where they are inaudible.

Use the Phantom 350 instead of the 500 version. It is easier to fit in the lower chamber.

Go for a better video card, something like a 7800GT.

You may also want to consider your choise of mainboard. There are mainboards now that are passive from the beginning.

zombunny

Post by zombunny » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:20 am

I have looked at the nexus stats and my dustproofs seem to have better scores, as for a new graphics card that is in the works but not really needed as I'm not playing pc games at the moment, the zalman cooler I'm thinking of changing, but I want to build the system first and see how it goes, but I'm open to suggestions.

Here is a link to the dustproofs
http://www.quietpc.com/uk/casefans.php# ... ndustproof

btw I'm using the 120mm
check the reviews

computergeek22

Post by computergeek22 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:36 am

What do you use your computer for? If you're not going to be using it for HARDCORE gaming then an FX-57 is useless. If you're into multitasking or just general windows stuff you could get a decent dual core for the price of the fx-57. This is what I would reccomend in addition:

-Zalman VF-700 CU VGA heatsink
-Asus A8N-SLI PREMIUM (already passive)
-2GB (2x1gb) G.SKill RAm @ Newegg for 199.99
-I reccommend the Acoustifan mounts though Andy said you can DIY. Though I'm not that much of a DIY guy so personally I'd go for them.
-Zombunny - I suggest you don't look at stats as they are sometimes misleading. I suggest, instead, that you listen to the experience of SPCR reviewers and get the Nexus 120mm fans if you want a cool but quiet system.

Also are you going to put a fan in the lower chamber. If so are you also going to put ur raptor in the lower chamber because in the p180 review if ur going to run a passive psu then you will need a fan down there.

my $0.02
Last edited by computergeek22 on Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:38 am

I'd be doubtful of those statistics. Take the safe route: Nexus (120mm) fans are known to be great, they are the reference fan that all fans are compared against here at SPCR. You will not be displeased with them, but with any other fan you are taking a risk. If you feel like you need higher airflow than get a Yate Loon.
i'd also change the psu, it just isnt necessary. i have a SmartPower II 500W in my P180 and it stays basically silent (it ramps up to 24db tops) plus it pulls in air over my two Hard Drives meaning i dont need a fan in the lower chamber. If you have a passively cooled power supply you will likely need a fan to cool the hard drives thereby defeating the point of a passively cooled power supply (and the SP500 is about 50-75 bucks cheaper than a phantom, antoher plus)
The CPU cooler should definately be changed and it should be done before the build. If you wait until after the build you will need to pull the entire mobo setup out of the case, kind of a PITA. As far as what cooler to go with I'd second the call for using a Ninja, as has been shown in the SPCR tests, the Ninja is unbeatable.
Finally don't get the A8N-SLI Deluxe, you need to get the premium version of the board which fixes most of the Deluxes problems and more importantly has a passivly cooled northbridge.
So to summarize: instead of a phantom, zalman 7000, and 4 acoustifans all you really need is an SmartPower II 500W, a Ninja and 2 Nexus Fans (one one the CPU cooler, one on the exhaust). This setup will likely be cheaper and without a doubt be better performing in both noise and cooling levels.

computergeek22

Post by computergeek22 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:43 am

teknerd I think the sp-500 is like a $100 cheaper than the phantom @ CompUSA w/a rebate. So yeah you could put that towards something else like a better mobo or ram.

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:50 am

oh, also i'd agree that you dont need the silentbox enclosure. The P180's hard drive mounts (in the lower chamber) are good enought that it really isnt necessary, i can't reallly hear my raptor idle and almost never hear the seeks (and i have very good ears).

zombunny

Post by zombunny » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:08 pm

the mobo, proccessor, cpu fan are coming out of my last system as I'm currently fixing my computer as the psu blew, moneys tight at the moment, so I'm basically silencing as much as I can at the moment, all the components I have already bought, these days I will always stick with an enclosure as I have had great success with them before, the accoustic dampening also helps a great deal, but guys if I seal of the top fan, put two at the front and one at the back all running at 5V with 25.2 air volume from each fan will I be ok?, do I need a fan in with the psu(phantom 500) and the raptor(in enclosure(silentmax or silent box)?

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:15 pm

you absolutely need a fan blowing in over a raptor in an enclosure (personally i would never dream of doing that, it seems to me to be asking for trouble putting a 10K RPM drive in an enclosure).
As far as the fans go, you dont need the front ones, but if you are sticking with the zalman cooler i'd say use the top and rear ones and undervolt them.

zombunny

Post by zombunny » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:37 pm

Just ordered a scythe ninja, now planning on duct taping/damping the top fan hole, two fans on front one on back standard in with psu, never had a problem with the raptor in an enclosure, sticking with the silentmaxx one for now, see how it goes, might try this suspending thing you guys seem to be doing, any real modding you reccomend with the P180?

also just ordered a zalman heatsink for the northbridge.