Antec NeoHE "High-Efficiency"

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

ozdoc

Post by ozdoc » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:27 pm

This thread shows Antecs PSU tester:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=28128

According to Antecs web site, the tester is:
"A simple tool for testing ATX12V (v 1.3 and v 2.0) power supplies without fussing with voltmeters and probes. Simply plug the power supply outputs into the 24-pin (or 20-pin) connector to verify voltage of each ATX12V rail. Green for normal, yellow for insufficient, and red for over voltage conditions. Plus a separate Power Good signal for validating whether power supply as a whole is working or not. Quickly and easily check to see if your power supply is good or not, saves trouble-shooting time."
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails. ... dID=77203#

The question:
Has anyone with a dud NEO 430 HE checked their PSU with this tester, to see if it does "saves trouble-shooting time" ? I would be interested in the results...

aethyr

Post by aethyr » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:39 am

aethyr wrote:I just received my P150 tonight from Newegg. The warranty seal was also broken along the opening. It's pretty obvious that this was not "accidental" due to shipping (as was said in another thread), the box was in perfect condition and every item in the case was still secure and nothing showed signs of being jostled. The first thing I did was take some pics with my digital camera so I'd have proof it arrived like that.

I have no problem with Antec opening the case to fix the PSU (in fact, I hope they did), but it would have been nice if they resealed it. I assume Newegg wouldn't go opening items up like that, unless instructed by Antec to perform some kind of fix.

I will test it out with my Asrock 939Dual motherboard when it arrives later this week. *Fingers crossed*
Installed everything tonight. It works great :D

allenlux

Post by allenlux » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:01 pm

In fairness to Antec, after my earlier problem with the Neo HE 430, I have now installed it in another new build:

ECS 760GX-M motherboard
Sempron 3100+
512 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 7500
Initio SCSI
DVD-ROM
CD-writer
80GB HD (Samsung)

and in this setup it seems to be working fine (although I'm not stressing it with intensive game-playing).

I'd suggest to Antec that they should at least put some kind of warning on their web site that the Neo HE (430) is not suitable in all situations where a (430W) PSU would normally have worked in the past.

Sojourn

Post by Sojourn » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:45 pm

This post has been a slightly disturbing read, as I was just about to purchase an Antec P150 with a Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard.

Has anyone here had trouble with such a setup?

roaf85

Post by roaf85 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:16 pm

If you have another use for the Neo 430 watt power supply than get the P150. It is an amazing case. IMHO I think it looks and performs way better than the Sonata.

csl

Post by csl » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:29 am

Sojourn wrote:This post has been a slightly disturbing read, as I was just about to purchase an Antec P150 with a Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard.

I'm running a P150 with an A8V Deluxe, and I had to slim my PC innards down for the PC to boot. I'm running a 4400 X2, 2GB XMS 3200, 2xHD, 2xoptical drives, Radeon 9250 plus 2 DSP cards based on an ancient Mpact processor. I have to remove one of the DSP cards for the system to power up, otherwise all I get is a brief flash of the power LED.

I'd be prepared for some disappointment if you have a fairly high powered system, and even perhaps order a replacement PSU at the same time. You could get a cheap PSU at the same time, and only open it if the system doesn't boot. If it works fine then you could return the unopened PSU I guess.

Benly2

Post by Benly2 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:31 am

Hi, i am wondering if the Antec NeoHe 500w has any issues with an Asus P5AD2-Deluxe. Its based on the Intel 925x chipset.

Thank you.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:08 am

well, Antec sent out my replacement 2 days ago, so I'll be back soon with news.

mrjocke

Post by mrjocke » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:08 am

Yes, the problems with NEW Neo HEs are probably resolved
No way. I received my 2nd updated "with Asus A8N fix" version from the dealer this week. I was the worst of the three I've tried. I would shut off after 0,5 to 3 minutes. Mobo Asus A8N-E.

I noticed something about the ATX versions (which I doubt is the real problem).

On the Antec Neo HE package it says:
"Backward compatible with all ATX12V systems"

But on the homepage it says:
"backward compatible with ATX12V v2.01 systems"

Apparently they changed their mind!

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:41 pm

ok, i got the new power supply

or rather the old one back. it has the same S# and same outwards appearance, so i'm off to build it in. I'll be back soon

Edit: first try: BSOD, maybe due to faulty video card installation. i took out tv card, dvd drive and the EZ plug for SLI. now i can boot, time for a stress test....

Second Edit: Antec, you seriously have got the nerve to send me back the same broken power supply you gave me in the first place.....

IF I WAS CONTENT WITH THAT PIECE OF ---- I WOULDN'T HAVE SENT IT BACK IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

you bastards. I know I will never again do business with Antec in the future, and I allready regret supporting them with the 130$ I paid for the p180.

I can only assume that this is just some error, because that on purpose is just intolerable.
Last edited by klankymen on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ngdbsdmn

Need advice

Post by ngdbsdmn » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:18 am

Case & Psu: Antec P150 with 430W HE
Mb: Abit NF7-S v2.0
Ram: 2x 512Mb Kingmax
Hdd: Seagate 7200.7 80Gb SATA & Seagate 7200.9 160Gb SATA II
Odd: Pioneer DVD-RW 110BK
Video: PowerColor Radeon 9250 AGP 8x
Nic: Allied Telesyn 10/100 & Qubs 10/100

The fans spin up, power leds on the MB light up but that's about it.
None of the Hdds spin-up and the DVD eject button doesn't work.
There is no video, no beeps, no POST.

P.S: This configuration works with my old power supply, a 350W model from Hiper Group.

nonstop

Post by nonstop » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:11 am

klankymen wrote:it has the same S# and same outwards appearance,
'NeoHE500&550 that the serial number starts by S0510 have the problem. The products since S0511 have no problem. '

I heard this from a dealer. NeoHE430 might be also similar.

Hope this helps.

m00k

Post by m00k » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:22 am

P.S: This configuration works with my old power supply, a 350W model from Hiper Group.
I have a similar problem with the 430 Watt NeoHE that came with my P150. Serial starts with S0510.
I know I will never again do business with Antec in the future
Same here. I submitted my problems with the psu on December 27th. I got a reply requesting to give my system configuration on january 3rd, which i did. Never heard back from Antec since then. I could have lived with waiting, but not to respond at all is a nono in my opinion.

jimmyzaas

Re: Need advice

Post by jimmyzaas » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:11 pm

ngdbsdmn wrote:Case & Psu: Antec P150 with 430W HE

Hey, did you plug the four pin power plug into the ATX12V1 plug near your nforce chipset? This is because that way, the CPU would draw from the 12V rail instead of the weak 5V rail.

I was hoping this would work because I have the same motherboard (NF7-S 2.0) as you. If you haven't please try it out and post your results?

PCI peripherals also draw from the 5V rail i think, try minimizing the number of PCI cards also.

DaGroove

Post by DaGroove » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:42 pm

Received my P150 last friday and after a few hours of set up - the unit runs extremely well (Asus A8N-SLI motherboard). No problems at all. After reading about all the issues with the NeoHE430 - I consider myself very fortunate!

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:46 pm

DaGroove wrote:Received my P150 last friday and after a few hours of set up - the unit runs extremely well (Asus A8N-SLI motherboard). No problems at all. After reading about all the issues with the NeoHE430 - I consider myself very fortunate!
switch PSUs with you!! lol :lol:

aqm consultant

Post by aqm consultant » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:59 pm

DaGroove-
SN on the PSU? Warranty seal intact?

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:36 pm

klankymen wrote:ok, i got the new power supply

or rather the old one back. it has the same S# and same outwards appearance, so i'm off to build it in. I'll be back soon

Edit: first try: BSOD, maybe due to faulty video card installation. i took out tv card, dvd drive and the EZ plug for SLI. now i can boot, time for a stress test....

Second Edit: Antec, you seriously have got the nerve to send me back the same broken power supply you gave me in the first place.....

IF I WAS CONTENT WITH THAT PIECE OF ---- I WOULDN'T HAVE SENT IT BACK IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

you bastards. I know I will never again do business with Antec in the future, and I allready regret supporting them with the 130$ I paid for the p180.

I can only assume that this is just some error, because that on purpose is just intolerable.
Boo, Antec. Booooo.

LDRunner

Post by LDRunner » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:06 pm

When I put together my rig in early Dec. I originally had problems with the computer shutting down after 10-15 min regardless of what I was doing. So I sent my PSU to Antec and got one of the revised NeoHE 430 units. Since putting the new unit in, my computer has been running just fine. No problems in Windows, business apps, or HDV capture/rendering. But I have started playing multiplayer COD2 and when I have the settings at 1280x1024 with AA on the computer will suddenly shut down when the action starts getting intense. No problems using "optimal setting" which puts the resolution down to 1024x768. Originally I thought it was a CPU overheating issue, but according to SpeedFan the CPU only gets to 40C during COD2. It gets to 41C during HDV rendering and no shut downs ever. However, now I think this is a PSU problem. Am I wrong to assume this is a PSU problem? I'll admit I know almost nothing about PSUs but I thought that when the GPU is working real hard the PSU is not delivering enough juice. Would plugging in the EZ-Plug on the MB hurt anything? Do you think it would help?

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:59 pm

LDRunner wrote:But I have started playing multiplayer COD2 and when I have the settings at 1280x1024 with AA on the computer will suddenly shut down when the action starts getting intense.
It could be any number of reasons:

Game bug (unlikely, since it is a very popular game with many other players)

Driver bug (check release notes on newest driver)

GPU overheating

PSU overheating

Flaky memory (unlikely too, I guess)

Windows

To rule out heat related issues, open up the side of the case and direct a box fan to blow into the case and play the game.

The EZ plug may not help, but shouldn't hurt.

kamina

Post by kamina » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:30 am

Sojourn wrote:This post has been a slightly disturbing read, as I was just about to purchase an Antec P150 with a Asus A8v Deluxe motherboard.

This setup works fine for me at work.

tdccasny

Antec SLP-450 from OvertureII case w/ ASUS P5LD2

Post by tdccasny » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:32 am

Recently built this system. (Intel dual core) in an ASUS P5LD2 with Antec Supply ser# D05070269401 marked as 450 watt. System came up and I went into setup okay, but as I progressed thru bios setup, everything went down just as I got to system information page and saw all the voltages displayed turn red. Pulled all the drives and firewire and USB connectors, and tried to reboot. No joy but let it sit for a few hours while I walked off my dissapointment. All drives stripped and all other power drains minimized. powered up and I jumped to the sytem info and watched as the 12 and 5 volt readings fluctuated. CPU fan from motherboard connection changing speed erratically. Then---- power down and out. It just died. I pulled the plug and waited 10 minutes. No obvious odors beyond new equipment smell, ( I smoke ) and no charring or other visible sympthoms.

I've contacted Antec and am awaiting an RMA#. My problem is that this case uses a unique configuration of the power supply casing. It has no main on/off switch, and the wire bundle exits the case on the same side as the standard A/C 3 pin socket. As installed in the OvertureII case, air is drawn in from the bottom of the PSU and pushed out from the side opposite the wire bundle and A/C jack. All other case sides and the top are solid.

I plan on jury rigging a different supply to insure that the problem is the Antec supply, but I won't be able to hard mount it in the case because of the air flow configuration. I will keep the group advised of my progress. I found the case to be quite nice, but I am very unhappy about the problems with power.

For what it's worth, the case with supply was just a little over $100.00. As I was pricing replacement supplies, the known brands all cost as much or more for a 500watt+ PSU .

sonuvbob

Post by sonuvbob » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:12 pm

jimmyzaas wrote:
ngdbsdmn wrote:Case & Psu: Antec P150 with 430W HE

Hey, did you plug the four pin power plug into the ATX12V1 plug near your nforce chipset? This is because that way, the CPU would draw from the 12V rail instead of the weak 5V rail.

I was hoping this would work because I have the same motherboard (NF7-S 2.0) as you. If you haven't please try it out and post your results?

PCI peripherals also draw from the 5V rail i think, try minimizing the number of PCI cards also.
I have a similar system to ngdbsdmn, and so far I've had no problems with my NeoHE 430W (S# start with 0511). Ordered the P150 on Sunday (1/22/06).

Cpu: XP-Mobile 2400+ Barton @ 1.75ghz (166fsb)
Ram: 2x 512Mb Corsair XMS
Hdd: Seagate 7200.7 120Gb & 200Gb PATA
Odd: NEC DVD-RW 3520A
Video: LeadTek Winfast A6600GT (needs an extra molex connector)
Sound: E-MU 1820M (don't know how much juice it takes, but it's PCI with an extra 4 pin connector)
Other: Floppy, a bunch of 80mm fans

Well, the P150's still empty, I'm still waiting for the fans; the NeoHE's sitting on top of my current case for testing purposes.

So far it's survived 15 min of Counter-Strike 1.6 and a run through 3DMark05. Currently I've got Prime95 running the max heat torture test, and I'm listening to .apes in Winamp (25-30 min so far).

P.S. 'Warranty void if removed' label is a little bit rumpled, but not torn.

P.P.S. I'm using the 2nd and 3rd connectors from the left on the P/S, purely by chance. According to the review, these are most likely using different 12V rails. Anyone know if this would matter?

Update: Several hours of video/cpu-intensive stuff later, still solid.

hravn

Post by hravn » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:49 pm

Well, for whats its worth, my first Neo HE which did not work with my A8N-SLI Premium (powered down after 20-30 sec) did work with my NF7-S v2.0. So if you're going to keep that PSU and try it with another board someday, you might want to do that before the warranty runs out.

sonuvbob

Post by sonuvbob » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:52 am

hravn wrote:Well, for whats its worth, my first Neo HE which did not work with my A8N-SLI Premium (powered down after 20-30 sec) did work with my NF7-S v2.0. So if you're going to keep that PSU and try it with another board someday, you might want to do that before the warranty runs out.
Argh! Oh well, I'll have to be careful if I ever use the P/S with a new build. It is a really nice power supply though.

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:13 am

sonuvbob wrote:I have a similar system to ngdbsdmn, and so far I've had no problems with my NeoHE 430W (S# start with 0511). Ordered the P150 on Sunday (1/22/06).

Sound: E-MU 1820M (don't know how much juice it takes, but it's PCI with an extra 4 pin connector)

Well, the P150's still empty, I'm still waiting for the fans; the NeoHE's sitting on top of my current case for testing purposes.

So far it's survived 15 min of Counter-Strike 1.6 and a run through 3DMark05. Currently I've got Prime95 running the max heat torture test, and I'm listening to .apes in Winamp (25-30 min so far).

P.P.S. I'm using the 2nd and 3rd connectors from the left on the P/S, purely by chance. According to the review, these are most likely using different 12V rails. Anyone know if this would matter?

THANK YOU! for replying to my original question. I have been googling "nf7-s 2.0 neo he" forever and unable to find an answer. I've also been stalking this thread for a response from ngdbsdmn everyday! lol! I really appreciate your input. Now I can also get a P150 without worries.

sonuvbob

Post by sonuvbob » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:50 pm

jimmyzaas wrote:
sonuvbob wrote:I have a similar system to ngdbsdmn, and so far I've had no problems with my NeoHE 430W (S# start with 0511). Ordered the P150 on Sunday (1/22/06).

THANK YOU! for replying to my original question. I have been googling "nf7-s 2.0 neo he" forever and unable to find an answer. I've also been stalking this thread for a response from ngdbsdmn everyday! lol! I really appreciate your input. Now I can also get a P150 without worries.
lol, happy to help :D

DG

Post by DG » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:49 am

I have bought an Antec Neo He 430W with s\n starting S0510. With a Gigabyte K8NE and a 7800GT, i have no problems. Very happy with it, great psu (when it works, lol).

rikkus

GA-K8N51PVMT-9

Post by rikkus » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:17 am

I seem to have a dud NeoHE 430, which won't boot my Gigabyte GA-K8N51PVMT-9. With only CPU+RAM added, when pressing the power switch the CPU fan spins momentarily. Nothing else seems to happen. There's no beep from the speaker.

On the advice of Antec support, I plugged my in hard drive and DVD drive. With this much load, the CPU fan comes on and stays on, but still the motherboard fails to POST, or even beep.

So far the advice of Antec is to add more fans. I bought the case (Antec P150) because it's supposed to be quiet (I read the review on this site), so I'm not happy with adding more fans!

I've tested two other PSUs (including an older Antec) with the board and they both work fine. I have asked Antec whether they will replace the PSU for me, and am waiting for their reply.

I have a way to solve this without Antec's help: I can simply send back the P150 case it came in to the supplier and choose a different one. If I have to do this, however, my belief in Antec will be shaken, to say the least.
ozdoc wrote: Has anyone with a dud NEO 430 HE checked their PSU with this tester, to see if it does "saves trouble-shooting time" ? I would be interested in the results...
I've checked with a different, simpler, Antec PSU tester, which shows the PSU is OK. It only has one green LED, however, so perhaps doesn't test as well.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:21 am

UPDATE FROM THE GUY WITH THE SAME PSU :?

well, at the moment what theyre saying is that they want to ship me a NeoHE500 to make up for the shipping and time i was without a PSU.

well, thing is i dont even need a 380, but it does have more cables, right?

also he offered to send me some noisekiller gaskets (which are built in to the p180 anyway i think), or some silver thermal compound (which i ordered 13 grams of last week, so no thanks i guess).

only thing I could think of I need would be a straight door for my p180.

whaddaya think?