A Humble P4 + SLK3000B Rig

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

OmegaZero

A Humble P4 + SLK3000B Rig

Post by OmegaZero » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:54 pm

Recently I decided to upgrade my "power" machine's video card, so I took the opportunity to snap a few pictures...

System specs:
Intel Pentium 4 Northwood @ 3.4GHz
2x 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC4000,
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe 875P + ICH5R
HIS Radeon X700 IceQ 128MB GDDR3 AGP 8X
M-Audio Audiophile 192 24-bit/192kHz 4-in/4-out
Western Digital Raptor 10k RPM 74GB SATA
GUP SmartDrive 2002 Copper
Plextor Px-716SA Dual Layer DVD-RW SATA
Thermalright XP-120
2x Nexus 120mm
Seasonic S12-430
Antec SLK-3000B

The machine is running at stock speeds and voltages all around, with memory configured dual channel, PAT enabled, and showing 2-3-2-5-1T. Both Nexus 120mm fans are at 12v - I had originally intended to slow them down, but the machine is more than quiet enough now so why bother?

The Setup
NOTE: Though I have no pictures of it, the side pannel on this case was replaced with one from a 3700BQE that I ordered from Antec. The major differece: No VGA vent or TAC duct.

Here you can see the wiring and setup inside:

Pretty standard, really. The only thing of note here is that the heatsink's fan is set blowing up rather than down onto the motherboard. I tried it both ways, testing temps and airflow patterns (using the incense trick) as I went. It turns out that the temperatures on the CPU, northbridge, and motherboard were identical. From my observation the upward direction seemed to create a more focused airflow pattern, so I left it set that way.

Here is the front of the case without the bezel:

Some modifications here. I cut out the front fan grill and replaced it with an aluminum filter screen. I then covered all other openings with aluminum ducting patch tape. The only openings left are where the bezel attaches and a small gap around the SmartDrive. This was deliberate to allow air to pass over the fins on the drive enclosure. I should also note that the power and hard drive LEDs were swapped for bright blue ones. With the machine being so quiet I needed to be able to see if it was on, and the stock dull orange LEDs just didn't cut it.

The case from the rear:

Notice the silicone EAR fan mounts, grill removed, and rubber trim. Also visible here is the exhaust port for the video card and the connectors on the Audiophile.

Temperatures
___________Idle______Max Load__
CPU:................30C..............50C......
System:...........27C..............35C.....
HDD:...............32C...............36C.....

The system was tested using 2x Prime95 24hrs, Prime95 + CPUBurn 24hrs, 3DMark05, 3DMark05 + CPUBurn, and Memtest86+ 24hrs. The temperatures listed under "max load" represent the highest temp observed at any point during testing. The ambient temperature during testing was ~23C. Temperatures were monitored via SpeedFan and Asus AiBooster.

Noise
I don't have an SPL meter handy, so I can only offer my observaions. The machine is sitting in the computer compartment of my desk with the intake approximately 3ft from my ears. I have removed the front and rear covers from the compartment to allow for propper ventilation.

At 3am last night I noticed that I could hear my cat bathing on the other side of the room clearly, but could not hear any noise from my computer. Quiet enough for me 8) .

Finished Setup
Here are some photos after it was all set up:

So what does everyone think?
Last edited by OmegaZero on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:00 pm

At 3am last night I noticed that I could hear my cat bathing on the other side of the room clearly, but could not hear any noise from my computer.
It is amazing that such a powerful machine can be so quiet. Really, the noise difference between this and a VIA mini-itx (nehemiah) system is probably negligible for anyone with normal levels of ambient noise, but the difference in performance is staggering. I find it hard to believe that 2 Nexus 120mm's at full speed can be that quiet, but the 3700BQE side panel probably helped. Excellent cable management as well.

OmegaZero

Post by OmegaZero » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:52 pm

jaganath wrote:I find it hard to believe that 2 Nexus 120mm's at full speed can be that quiet, but the 3700BQE side panel probably helped.
You are certainly correct that those two fans are the loudest component in my system. I suspect that not hearing them is partially due to the side panel and the downward vents in the 3800's Bezel. Since both fans are near the back of the case, there is no direct path from the noise to my ears. Also, the machine is within my desk's pc compartment so I don't hear anything from the rear openings. The fact that they are both soft-mounted helps a bit too...

Either that or I have a loud cat. Maybe I can suspend her? Or add some damping material to her tongue?

OmegaZero

Post by OmegaZero » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:41 pm

I received a private message asking about the white case badge I used....

Here is a close up shot:

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:05 am

Either that or I have a loud cat. Maybe I can suspend her? Or add some damping material to her tongue?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was going to say, when you say your cat was bathing herself, was she literally in the bath?!!!

:P

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:39 pm

Nice DAW, I had one very similar in 3000b but s939 and 3 hard drives. I think it’s an excellent case, very little noise escapes from the front bezel compared to the new Antec P series bezel. I also covered the side panel vents by 1.5" foams.

Just one thing, the direction of your KRK monitors aren’t exactly right, they should be toward to your face not parallel by walls.

OmegaZero

Post by OmegaZero » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:10 pm

spolitta wrote:Just one thing, the direction of your KRK monitors aren’t exactly right, they should be toward to your face not parallel by walls.
The picture is a little deceptive - they are actually pointed inward slightly, focused on a spot just behind my chair. That way the focal lengths are equidistant (same distance between the monitors and from the monitors to the listener). The people I am recording for are usually standing behind me...

I actually have a server machine ("space") that stores all my project files, so I don't need more than 74GB on my workstation. I just copy the active project files to me desktop and then put them back when I am done (I'm running gigabit in the studio, so it only takes a moment to transfer).

I must say I have been very happy with it as a mixing station. I use Nuendo 3, Waves Renaissances, UA Project Pack, and BFD along with some external rack units. I've gotten up to 39 tracks without a hiccup so far! :D

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:43 pm

I like the simple aproach. Nice job.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:47 pm

ahh man I always wanted one of those DSP cards, could have bought a powercore if I havent spent soo much on silencing. 8)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:53 am

No comments about the noise level of the "Ice-Berg" (or whatever they call it) cooling fan on your vidcard? I found it quite loud, although I wasn't able to play around with the configuration. Are you controlling the fan speed somehow? Any clicking coming from your fan?

Very nice build though. 3.4GHz P4 NW is easily capable of running near silent.

OmegaZero

Post by OmegaZero » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:54 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:No comments about the noise level of the cooling fan on your vidcard? Any clicking coming from your fan?
Yes, it clicks. Fortunately the clicking is very faint - nowhere near what other PWM fans I've used have sounded like. At the moment I can't hear it when the case is closed up, so I am pleased. If it gets any louder I'll try connecting it to a non-PWM header (I have a spare one on my MB)...

Ralf Hutter wrote:3.4GHz P4 NW is easily capable of running near silent
I love my Northwood. The performance has been excellent and it runs SO much cooler than the Prescott chips I've used in other builds. I can even over clock my rig +10% and the CPU stays under 57C load. It's funny that you mention it though, since it was one of your recommendations that led me to the 3.4C in the first place. 8)

Unfortunately I have had some problems with my software plug-ins - particularly the larger Waves Renaissance modules. I have narrowed it down to a RAM problem I think; since plug-ins are brutally memory intensive, I ran Memtest again for a bit longer. It started showing some serious errors around hour 35. I am not actually all that surprised, as I have had issues with several Crucial Ballistix modules recently.

I ordered some Corsair TwinX XMS3200 as a replacement; hopefully this will solve the problem.

spolitta: I highly recommend the UAD-1. The quality of the plug-ins is great, the price isn't bad, and the benefit of having a dedicated processor for DSP is huge. I didn't have the UAD-1 when I took the pics above, but I can take a few when I change RAM if you are interested.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:17 pm

Which UAD package you have?

I find the studio pack very expensive and the project pack very limited in the terms of plugins. Basically I hoped there was a project pack that included Cambridge EQ and Fairchild. I'll see if I can find a cheap card one on ebay, there doesn’t seem to be many around these days.

btw, I would love to see how it fits in your case

epiphane

Post by epiphane » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:48 pm

I know why u don't hear anything...those r some bodacious computer speakers....I SAID... THOSE R BIG SPEAKERS :lol:

seriously...Nice job. One of my puters is also in a small enclosed area. I noticed a decrease in noise level as well as a more mellow tone when I placed MELAMINE FOAM on the surrounding panels. From u'r post however, u probably don't need it.

Oh...btw...Bob ( http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=28987 ) wants to know if u'r cat wants her back scrubbed.

Cheers
Peter

OmegaZero

Post by OmegaZero » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:11 pm

spolitta wrote:Basically I hoped there was a project pack that included Cambridge EQ and Fairchild.
Have you looked into the Universal Audio UAD-1 Flexi PAK? It is the UAD-1 card, but you get to choose the plug-ins.

I personally have the Project Pack. I tend to use compression, basic EQ, and/or reverb on just about all of my tracks, so I use the dedicated DSP for those plug-ins. As you can imagine, this makes a huge difference in performance. Everything else is pretty much just one-off usage, so Waves, TC, or T-Racks software plug-ins are more than adequate.

epiphane: Bob should know that Lucy (my kitten) is fixed :shock:. Either way I think he is too old for her... she's only 5 months.

epiphane

Post by epiphane » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:35 pm

OmegaZero wrote: ...SNIP...epiphane: Bob should know that Lucy (my kitten) is fixed :shock:. Either way I think he is too old for her... she's only 5 months.
Cool...so is Bob (that's a requirement in r house)...oh well, they can dream,eh?

Cheers