Here is a GPU cooling idea!

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

How many PCI/AGP/PCI-E slots you have in use?

none
5%
36%
26%
26%
4-5-6-7
7%

Total votes: 42

spolitta

Here is a GPU cooling idea!

Post by spolitta » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:26 am

So the main problem starts because VF700 doesn't exhaust the heat and the AC silencer doesn�t have a very good fan which is also not replaceable. You can do a VF700 fan swap but still it doesn�t exhaust the heat.

This will surely work on NF4 motherboards which most gamers and silencers use them these days. There are 7 PCI slots on the case, assume the top one is for the video card and you have two PCI cards at the bottom that leaves you 4 free slots between which is a perfect size for an 80mm fan. If you seen the shuttle ICE Heat Pipe heatsink then basicly it's the same idea. I think it would work, You get to choice your favorite 80mm fan to exhaust the GPU heat. What�s not to like?

This is the Shuttle ICE cooler, if they just made one for graphic cards....

Any comments?
Last edited by spolitta on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:45 am

Scythe was showing GPU heatsinks at some expo with exact same idea as you just proposed. A heatlane/several heatpipes and a huge radiator outside the case. This would have worked perfectly with the 120mm exhaust blowing air over it, but unfortunately those heatsinks never made it into production. If scythe ever makes one and prices it reasonably I'll be the first one to buy it... 8)

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:21 am

spolitta
You are forgetting that heatpipe-based coolers don't like to work upside down. You have to find a way to flip the GPU block if you want the thing to cool anything.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:13 am

Jazz,
I actually didn’t mean the fins to be out side of the case, they will be actually inside just by the PCI slots, I will take a picture later to illustrate my idea.

EndoSteel,
Again, I have to draw something to explain myself, but for now all I can say is that the pipes wont be upside down.

Igor

Post by Igor » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:42 am

EndoSteel wrote: You are forgetting that heatpipe-based coolers don't like to work upside down.
Most of them work in any orientation. More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heatpipe

TD22057

Post by TD22057 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:41 am

Igor wrote:
EndoSteel wrote: You are forgetting that heatpipe-based coolers don't like to work upside down.
Most of them work in any orientation. More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heatpipe
Could be... could be... however, there are a few people in the Abit forum who would disagree. People w/ inverted MB's (like me) found that their NB temps were through the roof with the inverted MB and heat pipe cooled NB. Turning their whole machine upside down fixed things which seems to indicate that the NB heat pipe orientation was the problem.

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:35 am

Igor
In theory, but not in reality.

mathias

Re: Here is a GPU cooling idea!

Post by mathias » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:27 am

spolitta wrote:This is the Shuttle ICE cooler, if they just made one for graphic cards....
That's a very big if.

If you're willing to commanderr 4 PCI slots, it shouldn't be hard to duct the heat out and cool well with a very queiet fan.

I think a large spare CPU heatsink, like an old zalman bush(which would only take up 3 slots), with a fan blowing at it from the side and a duct forcing that air to exit out the back would work.

Or simply use a heatpipe sandwich cooler, have a fan blowing at it from the side or front, and encase the whole thing in a duct with openings only at the PCI slot covers above and below the card and of course also at the fan.

Has anyone found any queiet 60mm or 70mm fans yet? If so, a very small heatpipe tower should also work.

A smaller SI-97 like heatsink, like the one SPCR reviewed, ducted to the back might also work.

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:31 am

spolitta wrote:Any comments?
I think the best GPU cooler is just a CPU cooler drilled and tapped to bolt onto a GPU. I have a chopped up retail P4 aluminum heatsink that works just fine as a passive GPU cooler. It does take up/require a few adjacent slots even with the fan removed. The price was right though (I think I actually spent $1 to buy it.)

Fans: Real blower fans can be quite quiet/efficient in space constrained areas. I have a cheap black plastic slot cooler type that works well undervolted. For some reason the ones that come with video cards are general not quiet.

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:52 am

QuietOC wrote:Fans: Real blower fans can be quite quiet/efficient in space constrained areas. I have a cheap black plastic slot cooler type that works well undervolted. For some reason the ones that come with video cards are general not quiet.
So how come no one has yet done a fan swap on a silencer?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:09 pm

EndoSteel wrote:Igor
And in reality if you use the right type of heatpipe (i.e. wicked and not grooved) it will work upside down. See for instance all those people with XP-120 heatsinks in towercases.

Igor

Post by Igor » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:00 am

EndoSteel wrote:Igor
If you had read the link I posted, you'd know better...

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:21 am

ok, I added a pool. I like to find out know how many slots you guys have in used.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:24 am

I have a Geforce 2 with a Zalman NB-47J as a heatsink... I had zero problems with it, but then I wanted to give it to my sister, forgetting she has a microATX motherboard, and 1xAGP, 2xPCI and 1xCMR. The CMR is the furthest from the AGP, and the PCI next to it has to be occupied by a wireless card. Oops.

j4cbo

Post by j4cbo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:36 pm

I'm working on cooling my 7800GT with a ZM80D-HP...

With my case and mobo, there are two available PCI slots above and another 2 or 3 below (depending on if I install the extra bracket with 2xUSB and status LEDs). The plan is to leave all the slot covers open, and then have a 5v or 7v Yate Loon right behind the card, with a duct made from a 2-liter soda bottle blowing straight out the back.

I don't have the cooler yet (it comes Thursday),but I'll post a thread with temps once I get it going...

(Antec P180, MSI K8N Neo4 Pt)

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:38 am

Tibors
I'm not saying they don't work at all - they do, but efficiency loss is noticable even with sintered powder wicks. The XP's performance is not affected by heatpipe orientation because it has an exсessive amount of pipes, which compensates the gravity effect. BTW, the ICE also has four of them, so i am probably wrong about it's ability to work upside down.

Igor
If you had read the link I posted, you'd know better...
I know what I know from my own experiments. Here's one (same GPU, same pipes, same heatsink):

Pipes pointing down - 98С under load.

Pipes pointing up - 75C under load.

Igor

Post by Igor » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:28 am

EndoSteel wrote: I know what I know from my own experiments.
Do those heatpipes have wicks in them? Seems like a too big difference in temps if they do...

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:33 am

Igor

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:27 am

Regarding the heatpipes, how come that theyangster has his VM-101 upside down and he gets good temps too?

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8316 ... all7mz.jpg

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:43 am

spolitta
I'm not sure but I think the answer is level difference. Heatpipes of an inverted VM-101 have a very short vertical section and the wick seems to be efficient enough to pump fluid through it without losses.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:13 pm

EndoSteel wrote:spolitta
I'm not sure but I think the answer is level difference. Heatpipes of an inverted VM-101 have a very short vertical section and the wick seems to be efficient enough to pump fluid through it without losses.
ok, so the same method could be used but have the fan vertical so it would exhaust the heat.

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:30 pm

Take a look at the ASUS X1600XT with the heatpiped passive heatsink. This is what I'd like to see, but I'd want it on a larger scale. In what I'd like to see, there would be something like four heatpipes coming out of the top of the video card (the edge that faces you when you look into the computer) and then as many aluminum or copper fins as they can jam onto the heatpipes, taking up every available space with fins. I'd have to draw a picture for you to really get it, however.

york

Post by york » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:07 pm

I really hope who ever made Asus' cooler releases it for sale. Looks like it works for crossfire.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:11 am

While you guys were arguing the heatpipe issue, I built a sample of my idea but using ducting instead of heatpipes. I didn’t actually install an exhaust fan too see how this duct would work because I’ve made too many mods recently I ‘m still learning toward their impact on my system. I’m actually going for a 92mm fan which will take 5 slots. I’m hoping to improve temps of all the components by this mod because my case relies so much on the exhaust airflow, and this GPU exhaust might really work fine, we’ll see…

Last edited by spolitta on Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:42 pm

I think you should try sealing off that duct from the rest of your PC, to see if it would improve general case temps and if the air circulation in and out of that sealed off part of the case would be good with just a fan sort of bouncing the air around.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:20 pm

mathias wrote:I think you should try sealing off that duct from the rest of your PC, to see if it would improve general case temps and if the air circulation in and out of that sealed off part of the case would be good with just a fan sort of bouncing the air around.
If you read the thread or at least the part on the top of the pics you'll see that there propose of this duct was to be used with an exhaust fan which wasn’t tackled here.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:34 pm

I know, but since you already have a suitable duct made i'm just saying that you could try an exhaustless seperate thermal zone idea easily.

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:46 am

mathias wrote:
QuietOC wrote:Fans: Real blower fans can be quite quiet/efficient in space constrained areas. I have a cheap black plastic slot cooler type that works well undervolted. For some reason the ones that come with video cards are general not quiet.
So how come no one has yet done a fan swap on a silencer?
Laziness and ducting. I will be attempting it, soon.