Orientation of stock X2/Opteron heatsink

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

openwheelformula1

Orientation of stock X2/Opteron heatsink

Post by openwheelformula1 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:47 pm

I have a stock AMD X2/Opteron heatsink (the one w/ heatpipes and swappable 80mm fan). My question is which orientation will work better? To have the heatpipes on top or at the bottom?

El Doug

Post by El Doug » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:12 pm

ive heard so many debates about the theory of this - but it should come down to testing it out, no? why dont you try both and tell us how it works out :)

openwheelformula1

Post by openwheelformula1 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:17 pm

lol due to lazyness, I had to ask first. I'll try it out and report back.

openwheelformula1

Post by openwheelformula1 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:25 am

No difference.

stupid

Re: Orientation of stock X2/Opteron heatsink

Post by stupid » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:37 am

openwheelformula1 wrote:I have a stock AMD X2/Opteron heatsink (the one w/ heatpipes and swappable 80mm fan).
Out of curiosity, can tell me exactly which CPU you have, how effective it is at cooling, and whether or not you think it is quiet. Thanks.

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:51 am

stupid wrote:
openwheelformula1 wrote:I have a stock AMD X2/Opteron heatsink (the one w/ heatpipes and swappable 80mm fan).
Out of curiosity, can tell me exactly which CPU you have, how effective it is at cooling, and whether or not you think it is quiet. Thanks.
Well its quite good att cooling actually ! As good as xp 90 (or there somewhere) but not quiet enough for silencers though IMHO. Here is a link to a review a found on net.
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=399

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

small Q

Post by Firetech » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:15 pm

openwheelformula1 wrote:No difference.
I take it that's 'no difference' in CPU temps?
Did orientation affect temps in other areas though ie PWMIC temps :?:

derekva

Post by derekva » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:13 am

Redzo wrote:
stupid wrote:
Well its quite good att cooling actually ! As good as xp 90 (or there somewhere) but not quiet enough for silencers though IMHO. Here is a link to a review a found on net.
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=399
I've heard that the OEM 4-pipe AMD cooler actually runs quieter (and cooler) than the Zalman CNPS7000 AlCu. I've got one on the shelf right now that I'm tempted to try in my Sempron 3300+ HTPC. Although I may wait until I upgrade to an S754 90nm Athlon64 3000+ (the 51W version).

My question / concern is about the Delta fan that comes with the OEM heatpipe. How do Deltas usually do noise-character-wise at 5V? Close to a Nexus / Yate Loon 80mm or significantly louder?

Thanks!

-Derek

openwheelformula1

Post by openwheelformula1 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:29 am

Ok here is a quick rundown:

I bought the heatpipe cooler on ebay, and it was still brand new in the original box. It looks exactly like the one shown in madshrimp's review. I found that the orientation of the heatpipe make no difference in temperatuers. At least not that I can notice.

I use A8N SLI Premium's Q-fan which reduces the fan speed to 800rpm idling and 1800rpm under load. Keep in mind I live in LA and it's not hot yet. These figures will go up during summer time. The fan noise is NOT acceptable because it has a slight clicking noise. I am thinking about buying a 80mm Nexus because I had a 80mm panaflo that was a total dissapointment (very bad clicking noise). Before this heatsink I used XP-90 w/ 92mm panaflo M1A which was excellent, but it didn't direct airflow over mosfet heatsink. I find my chipset temperature lowered during idle after switching to this heatsink.