Electronics chattering

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

El Doug

Electronics chattering

Post by El Doug » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:55 am

Ive heard that once you completely silence your system, the HDD will make the most noise. i on the other hand am finding that, for whatever reason, that clickety clackety indigestion-sounding electric activity noise is the loudest in my system.

not to be picky, but i am almost ready to re-install my older louder fans if only to drown out this noise - the signature is AWEFUL. its imho better to hear a louder whoosh than these terrible sounds

so what are my options? will dampening work for this? i didnt think so, but im ready to do anything.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:58 am

Where is this
clickety clackety indigestion-sounding electric activity noise
coming from? PSU? GFX card? I've had a little buzzing from my VRM's and PSU, but never anything that could be described as a "clickety-clackety" noise.

El Doug

Post by El Doug » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:09 am

i dont know really - its hard for me to isolate even with the panel off and my ear to the comp when switching from low to high power activities.

however as it seems generalized, i can only assume mobo? the PSU is a phantom350 which i notice never made these sounds when i ran it outside the case, so i feel confident this is not the source

i didnt like ur response - youre scaring me. is this not normal?

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:20 am

jaganath wrote:Where is this
clickety clackety indigestion-sounding electric activity noise
coming from? PSU? GFX card? I've had a little buzzing from my VRM's and PSU, but never anything that could be described as a "clickety-clackety" noise.
I believe I am hearing noise like that from the video card blitter. Or perhaps it is the PCIe lane. Mine often sounds like chirping. It is only happening in 3D. I have a Radeon X800GTO. The noise is actually more noticeable than the blower fan on the card.

El Doug

Post by El Doug » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:24 am

that very well could be my source as well - i never considered the video card

mines a 7800gtx... i pray that theres hope for me with such a high-power card

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:59 am

i didnt like ur response - youre scaring me. is this not normal?
It could very well be the video card. My graphics card is very low-performance (understatement of the century), so it makes sense that I would not notice this noise which you are experiencing with a much more powerful card.