The new Arctic Cooling fans (std case) appear:

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Felger Carbon

The new Arctic Cooling fans (std case) appear:

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:04 am

Available here in Australia. Prices in $au, not $US. 80, 92, 120mm.

Which means the container ships are on their way to North America and Europe. Another week? Two? :wink:

Michael_qrt

Post by Michael_qrt » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:13 pm

I've actually bought a 120mm and 80mm version of these fans from pc case gear. The reason I went for them is that they were about half the price of the nexus fans here in Australia (check the prices on pc case gear to see what I mean). They're sitting at my parents place at the moment awaiting a new build for my family along with a Scythe samurai-z heatsink.

I'll have a bit of a play around with them on the weekend and let you know how they are. However due to the current shortage of lower end amd64 socket 939 processors (are the 3200+ and below available anywhere in aus at the moment?) I havn't got the rest of the components to build the system with and I don't have any nexus fans to compare with.

Michael_qrt

Post by Michael_qrt » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:09 pm

Well I tried the fans out briefly in an open air situation and thought they were pretty good and would be suitable for my application. I don't have the widest variety of fans to compare them with but here goes:

The 80mm fan reminds me very much of the 80L panaflo fans that I've had for a few years now. This is not too surprising given that the arctic cooling fans are FDB fans along with the panaflos. Overall they are pretty good once you get them to about 7V and below where the motor humm rapidly decreases.

For the 120mm fan I don't have much to compare it with however as expected it is quite loud at 12V. The dominant noise, at least in open air, down to about 6-7V was once again a hum which quickly became insignificant as the fan was reduced to 6-7V. Even at 5V the fan seemed to still move a significant ammount of air, plenty enough for it's use as a case fan to exaust air from the back of the case. At 5V the noise was very low level and I think was mostly airflow noise. Overall I don't know how it compares with a nexus since I've never used one but at half the price of the nexus it seemed pretty good to me.

Curvin

Post by Curvin » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:39 pm

Hi All,

Just took delivery of some sample 80mm, 92mm, and 120 mm fans.

Overall quality and finish is impressive, with cabling nicely sleeved.

Performance :

In short the 92 mm display a constant and very noticable motor hum right down to about 5 volt, which negates any usefullness to me as a CPU cooler for the XP90's, Also I think the reported 2000 RPM is definately B.S. Even at full tilt with a Fan Controller , the fan was barely pulling 1600.

The 120 are absolutely abysmal , loud constant motor hum at any settings. I haven't tried the 80 as yet, but I am not holding my breath.. also the lack of RPM monitoring is a big negative for me as well..

They are all going back.. :-(

Peace:

V.
Last edited by Curvin on Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:32 am

Curvin wrote:Just took delivery of some sample 80mm, 92mm, and 120 mm fans... I haven't tried the 80 as yet, but I am not holding my breath.. also the lack of RPM monitoring is a big negative for me as well.
Could you clarify this for us? Is it just the 80mm that has no RPM monitoring, or all three sizes? I can find no mention of a tach (RPM) signal on the A-C site in the fan specifications.

Honny

Post by Honny » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:18 am

there are two versions of the new AC fans. First of them are called like Arctic Fan 12025, 9225, 8025, with standard diomensions 120x25, and so on, pictures- http://arctic-cooling.com/fans2.php?idx=81&data=4&disc=

And second versions are called Arctic Fan 8,9,12. which have dimensions 120x38, these which are made primary as exhaust fan. pictures- http://arctic-cooling.com/fans2.php?idx=84&data=4&disc=
I have one AF(arctic fan) 12025, which cost in my contry only about 3,5 euro, which makes them one of few cheapest 120mm fan on the market. This is very cheap fan, made from bad plastic material, processing quality also isn't perfect, it's without the rpm monitoring wire, but can be easilly added if you connect new wire on the fan PCB under the back sticker, where is special marked point where to connect the wire. These fans are not bad, but nothing special, quite high motor noise, and on higher rpm there is another loud noise caused probably by resonating plastic material on fan blades-but this is only my idea. Also I think, that these fans are rebranded, they are looking very simmilar to some adda fans, that I have, and also the new Scythe fans looks on the photos like them, but this is maybe not truth.
From the second product line I have AF 9 and 12, these fans construction is absolutely different, and you can see that it is AC original design, processing quality is also better and noise much lower. Now I dont have time to write all details about the construction and analyze the noise sources, but if you are thinking about silent fans, you have to try one of this second product line like AF 8,9,12.

Curvin

Post by Curvin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:25 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:[
Could you clarify this for us? Is it just the 80mm that has no RPM monitoring, or all three sizes? I can find no mention of a tach (RPM) signal on the A-C site in the fan specifications.
Hi,

None of the fans have RPM monitoring unfortunately :-(

I just tested the 80mm fan, its actually the best of the bunch by far, but still nothing to be overally impressed with. To date the best 80mm Fan I have used has been the older style SilenX ( No Longer available ).

I can achieve better results with some standard Y.S Tech Medium Speed 80mm, once I scale them back to 7V, 5V, they move more air, and are less noisier than the Arctic Cooling fans at similar RPM's.

I also have some 120 mm Y.S Tech fans that are so much quieter and smoother than the Arctic Cooling units , even at the full 12V , the Y.S are barely above a Whisper. I have one sitting on an SI120 at the moment , at full tilt with the fan controller , its reporting around 1400 RPM , at 1000 RPM they are basically inaudible, and are still moving a good amount of air.

Hopefully the Arctic Fan Series are better than the AF Series.

As it stands, I am not impressed at all with the current range..

Back They Go.. :-)

Peace:

V.

Badashmods

Post by Badashmods » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:40 pm

Has anyone tried the artic cooling fdb bearing fans from here: http://www.comtec.ca/product_info.php?c ... _id=258832

chrispitude

Post by chrispitude » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:37 pm

Hi folks,

I just got an email response from pctoys.com. They should have the Arctic Fan 8, 9 and 12 available on their website in a few days. This vendor has free shipping for orders over $20, so I tend to go to them when I just need a few odds and ends.

- Chris

Badashmods

Post by Badashmods » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:51 pm

They are on newegg just some are sold out/not in stock yet.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... ctory=2107

aztec

Post by aztec » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:39 am

they're in stock at Newegg now.

ZZF...hurry up! :D

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:04 pm

aztec wrote:they're in stock at Newegg now.
Thanx for the tip. Placed an order for one (120mm 1.5" thick exhaust fan) just now. If I understand correctly, these come with no RPM (tach) signal. So this will be a chance to apply my fantabulous fan stroboscope method to determining its RPM range, and then setting 1028.57RPM to compare its noise at the same RPM to some other fans. :D

aztec

Post by aztec » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:45 pm

Felger....now that you've ordered. You know well and good a mandatory mini-review is required. :wink:

winguy

Post by winguy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:36 am

Any owners of the Arctic Fan 8 can shed some light on its undervolted performance? :D The Arctic Fan 8, 9 and 12 do have the tach (rpm) wire right?