Thermalright HR-05 chip(set) cooler

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mats
Posts: 3044
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:54 am
Location: Sweden

Thermalright HR-05 chip(set) cooler

Post by Mats » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:49 am

Looks pretty serious.
Here's a babelfish translation:
Thermalright presents miniature version of the HR-01 Thermalright offers with the "HR-05" Northbridge to radiator a mini version of the proven "HR-01" CPU of radiator. The chip set of radiator boxes laid out passively as basic version is equally suitable for the use on AMD and Intel Main board. Who needs more cooling, additionally 70 x can attach 70 x 15 millimeters a large exhaust. Insgeamt two copper Heatpipes in connection with well-known lamella technology are the all too heated Northbridge chip-corrode also under extreme conditions to keep cool. Announcement The entire radiator box weighs 145 gram and measures 77.9 x 30 x of 105 millimeters (L x B x H). The installation is to go to CPU radiator model according to that very easily from the hand. Starting from March this yearly is available the new High Riser - the enterprise did not communicate prices so far however. Heatpipekuehler appears realistic a market price of approx. for the high-quality miniature. €25.
I'm not sure it got two heatpipes though.

winguy
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:31 am

Post by winguy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:55 am

77.9 x 30 x of 105 millimeters (L x B x H) :shock:

Compatibility and orientation will be the main concern.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 1630
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:59 am
Location: Portugal

Post by rpsgc » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:15 am

WOW! That's sweet... and tall... and not going to fit on a lot of motherboards.
Fractal Define R4 | Corsair AX750 | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | Intel Core i7 4770K w/TRUE 120 Rev. C | 16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB OC | Crucial m4 128GB + Crucial MX100 512GB + WD Blue 1TB + WD Red 4TB | JVC HA-RX900 | Dell U2312HM + BenQ G2400WD | Asus Echelon Mechanical Keyboard | Logitech G400s

Mats
Posts: 3044
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:54 am
Location: Sweden

Post by Mats » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:22 am

If it got only one heatpipe I think they sould have taken advantage of that by keeping together the base with a couple of screws. This would give you the opportunity to mount the HS with an angle, and possibly making more room for the CPU HS. Just loosen the screws and turn the HS a bit.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 1561
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Post by Tzupy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:26 am

Well, Thermalright almost stole my idea, except the most important part: their heatpipe and fins are in the middle, while mine is just covering half of the base area, so it can be flipped (make more room for the gfx card).
However, the concept has a flaw, when used passively: long gfx cards obstruct the airflow path (it should work very well with 7600GT, I think).
My calculations of the required surface area showed that 60x60 mm is not good enough, and 80x80 was a bit overkill, so their 70x70 mm is fine.

spolitta
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:44 pm
Location: Earth

Post by spolitta » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:49 am

Image

If it performs as good as it looks, I will switch from zalman.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Damn, the HR05 won't fit my board!

Post by Firetech » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:03 am

If only they'd made one like this..
Probably around the same price too once it hits the marketplace.
Main PC: Antec SLK 3000B, Fortron Bluestorm 400w, Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, Intel e7300, Kingston 2x2Gb Value DDR2, OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb, 320Gb 7200.10, 750Gb Samsung. Silencing/Cooling mods= Glacialtech 120mm front fan, rear Tri-cool on low, CPU HSF = std @ 850rpm :D
WHS: Antec LS-100, GA-MA74GM-S2H, LE-1250, 2x2Gb XMS DDR2, 7Tb
HTPC: Antec NSK2480B, MA78GPM-DS2H & Athlon 64 X2 4850e

frostedflakes
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: United States

Post by frostedflakes » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:17 am

I think I found my new NB heatsink. :)
Corsair Obsidian 650D | Seasonic X-650 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 | Phenom II X4 955 | Noctua NH-D14 | 2x4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 | ASUS HD6950 DirectCU II 2GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | 2x WD Green 1TB

TomZ
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:59 pm

Post by TomZ » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:29 am

Real question is, how does it attach to the MB, and can a solid connection be made?

I tried another Thermalright with a similar design for my processor, and I could not get it to attach firmly enough to do a decent job. I had to conclude that the mounting hardware could have been designed better.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by Firetech » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:18 pm

TomZ wrote:Real question is, how does it attach to the MB, and can a solid connection be made?

I tried another Thermalright with a similar design for my processor, and I could not get it to attach firmly enough to do a decent job. I had to conclude that the mounting hardware could have been designed better.
With any luck, this is just a prototype and the actual base will be circular to allow some rotation of the HS to clear components. I guess the dimple seen in the middle will allow a bar with locator (like the HR-01) to secure it. The bar will probably need two sets of holes to align with different NB HS mounting hole pitches. The lower weight of this HS probably won't give the same problem you experienced TomZ.
Looks pretty :wink:
Main PC: Antec SLK 3000B, Fortron Bluestorm 400w, Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, Intel e7300, Kingston 2x2Gb Value DDR2, OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb, 320Gb 7200.10, 750Gb Samsung. Silencing/Cooling mods= Glacialtech 120mm front fan, rear Tri-cool on low, CPU HSF = std @ 850rpm :D
WHS: Antec LS-100, GA-MA74GM-S2H, LE-1250, 2x2Gb XMS DDR2, 7Tb
HTPC: Antec NSK2480B, MA78GPM-DS2H & Athlon 64 X2 4850e

geekbanter
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:16 pm
Location: Bremerton Washington
Contact:

Post by geekbanter » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:52 pm

I'd like to see this in a show off with the NB47J. For ~$30US it had better decimate the zalman in cooling ability, after all the $5 zalman is quite capable at cooling NF4's passivley (if a little hot).

Thermalright has some nice stuff, but the premium they want you to pay is too high IMO. Take the V-1 for example, nice cooler, but its nearly twice the price of a VF700 and doesn't come with a fan. Tag on another $8-10 for a nice quiet fan a couple degrees difference over the VF700 just isn't worth it.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/c687g][size=75]AMD64 3000+ Venice w/Ninja, Sonata II w/Nexus 120mm (<7V),
SmartPower 2.0 450W, Asus A8N-Sli Premium,
2X512MB Corsair DDR400 Value RAM, EVGA 7600GT w/VF900-cu,
Samsung SP2514N suspended, NEC 3540A, Dell 2005FP[/size][/url]

Firetech
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Comparo!

Post by Firetech » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:55 pm

geekbanter wrote:I'd like to see this in a show off with the NB47J. For ~$30US it had better decimate the zalman in cooling ability, after all the $5 zalman is quite capable at cooling NF4's passivley (if a little hot).
This will interest you then. :D
Main PC: Antec SLK 3000B, Fortron Bluestorm 400w, Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, Intel e7300, Kingston 2x2Gb Value DDR2, OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb, 320Gb 7200.10, 750Gb Samsung. Silencing/Cooling mods= Glacialtech 120mm front fan, rear Tri-cool on low, CPU HSF = std @ 850rpm :D
WHS: Antec LS-100, GA-MA74GM-S2H, LE-1250, 2x2Gb XMS DDR2, 7Tb
HTPC: Antec NSK2480B, MA78GPM-DS2H & Athlon 64 X2 4850e

frostedflakes
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: United States

Post by frostedflakes » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:28 pm

I'll let you guys know how it performs, I seriously plan on picking this up as soon as it's available. Currently using a NB47J on my K8T890 chipset. It works, but I'd feel much better if it was running 10*C+ cooler. I have a feeling this would be achievable with the HR-05. :)
Corsair Obsidian 650D | Seasonic X-650 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 | Phenom II X4 955 | Noctua NH-D14 | 2x4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 | ASUS HD6950 DirectCU II 2GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | 2x WD Green 1TB

Firetech
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by Firetech » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:39 pm

frostedflakes wrote:I'll let you guys know how it performs, I seriously plan on picking this up as soon as it's available. Currently using a NB47J on my K8T890 chipset. It works, but I'd feel much better if it was running 10*C+ cooler. I have a feeling this would be achievable with the HR-05. :)
Can't wait ff. We will of course expect fully detailed measurements to the 'inth' degree :lol:
Main PC: Antec SLK 3000B, Fortron Bluestorm 400w, Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, Intel e7300, Kingston 2x2Gb Value DDR2, OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb, 320Gb 7200.10, 750Gb Samsung. Silencing/Cooling mods= Glacialtech 120mm front fan, rear Tri-cool on low, CPU HSF = std @ 850rpm :D
WHS: Antec LS-100, GA-MA74GM-S2H, LE-1250, 2x2Gb XMS DDR2, 7Tb
HTPC: Antec NSK2480B, MA78GPM-DS2H & Athlon 64 X2 4850e

spolitta
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:44 pm
Location: Earth

Post by spolitta » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:27 pm

The way these new NB heatsinks are coming out so fast I think in the future motherboards will have retention brackets for the Northbridge too.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Best of both worlds

Post by Firetech » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:37 pm

spolitta wrote:The way these new NB heatsinks are coming out so fast I think in the future motherboards will have retention brackets for the Northbridge too.
I would hope that most 'enthusiast' boards would in future all be fitted as standard with heatpipe coolers as seen on recent ASUS and ABIT boards.
I do like the the layout of the ABIT AT8 from that point of view (remove the parallel port etc and vent straight out) but wish it had the quality of the ASUS board's heatpipes.
Main PC: Antec SLK 3000B, Fortron Bluestorm 400w, Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, Intel e7300, Kingston 2x2Gb Value DDR2, OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb, 320Gb 7200.10, 750Gb Samsung. Silencing/Cooling mods= Glacialtech 120mm front fan, rear Tri-cool on low, CPU HSF = std @ 850rpm :D
WHS: Antec LS-100, GA-MA74GM-S2H, LE-1250, 2x2Gb XMS DDR2, 7Tb
HTPC: Antec NSK2480B, MA78GPM-DS2H & Athlon 64 X2 4850e

frostedflakes
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: United States

Post by frostedflakes » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:30 am

Firetech wrote:
frostedflakes wrote:I'll let you guys know how it performs, I seriously plan on picking this up as soon as it's available. Currently using a NB47J on my K8T890 chipset. It works, but I'd feel much better if it was running 10*C+ cooler. I have a feeling this would be achievable with the HR-05. :)
Can't wait ff. We will of course expect fully detailed measurements to the 'inth' degree :lol:
Will do my best. ;)

I emailed Thermalright about this product and they said it would be available "in the week of March the 6th."
Corsair Obsidian 650D | Seasonic X-650 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 | Phenom II X4 955 | Noctua NH-D14 | 2x4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 | ASUS HD6950 DirectCU II 2GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | 2x WD Green 1TB

frostedflakes
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: United States

Post by frostedflakes » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:34 pm

... *waiting patiently* :P

Anybody heard anything new on this heatsink? Hoping it shows up in stores soon.
Corsair Obsidian 650D | Seasonic X-650 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 | Phenom II X4 955 | Noctua NH-D14 | 2x4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 | ASUS HD6950 DirectCU II 2GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | 2x WD Green 1TB

Firetech
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Patience my friend

Post by Firetech » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm

No sign of it anywhere yet but the MSRP looks OK @ $24.95. If Sidewinder get it and discount it like they do other Thermalright then maybe $20..

If only my pesky graphics card wasn't in the way.. :lol:
Main PC: Antec SLK 3000B, Fortron Bluestorm 400w, Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, Intel e7300, Kingston 2x2Gb Value DDR2, OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb, 320Gb 7200.10, 750Gb Samsung. Silencing/Cooling mods= Glacialtech 120mm front fan, rear Tri-cool on low, CPU HSF = std @ 850rpm :D
WHS: Antec LS-100, GA-MA74GM-S2H, LE-1250, 2x2Gb XMS DDR2, 7Tb
HTPC: Antec NSK2480B, MA78GPM-DS2H & Athlon 64 X2 4850e

Jim Byram
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:29 pm
Location: west of Boston, MA

Post by Jim Byram » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:26 pm


TomZ
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:59 pm

Post by TomZ » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:45 pm

HeatsinkFactory.com seems to get ThermalRight stuff before other vendors do. I recently ordered a different ThermalRight cooler from them, and they did a good job with my order. Customer service was great.

frostedflakes
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: United States

Post by frostedflakes » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:31 pm

Thanks guys. :)
Corsair Obsidian 650D | Seasonic X-650 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 | Phenom II X4 955 | Noctua NH-D14 | 2x4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 | ASUS HD6950 DirectCU II 2GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | 2x WD Green 1TB

BrianE
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post by BrianE » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:39 am

It's only listed as having compatibility with Intel motherboards though? :?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 1630
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:59 am
Location: Portugal

Post by rpsgc » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:47 am

"Thermalright weist darauf hin, dass der HR-05 explizit nicht mit NF4 "SLI" Mainboards kompatibel ist"

Not compatible with NF4 motherboards ?
Fractal Define R4 | Corsair AX750 | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | Intel Core i7 4770K w/TRUE 120 Rev. C | 16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB OC | Crucial m4 128GB + Crucial MX100 512GB + WD Blue 1TB + WD Red 4TB | JVC HA-RX900 | Dell U2312HM + BenQ G2400WD | Asus Echelon Mechanical Keyboard | Logitech G400s

Firetech
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Compatability coming soon?

Post by Firetech » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:57 am

Ahhh, but underneath the photo's on the Thermalright website it has the Intel & AMD symbols with a tick... Maybe you can only run them on nF4 boards if you completely remove the video card :lol:
Main PC: Antec SLK 3000B, Fortron Bluestorm 400w, Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, Intel e7300, Kingston 2x2Gb Value DDR2, OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb, 320Gb 7200.10, 750Gb Samsung. Silencing/Cooling mods= Glacialtech 120mm front fan, rear Tri-cool on low, CPU HSF = std @ 850rpm :D
WHS: Antec LS-100, GA-MA74GM-S2H, LE-1250, 2x2Gb XMS DDR2, 7Tb
HTPC: Antec NSK2480B, MA78GPM-DS2H & Athlon 64 X2 4850e

frostedflakes
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: United States

Post by frostedflakes » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:12 am

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I'd assume it's designed for Intel and AMD compatibility, but the Intel chipsets listed are the only ones Thermalright has actually tested the heatsink on? It says that a motherboard compatibility list is coming soon.
Corsair Obsidian 650D | Seasonic X-650 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 | Phenom II X4 955 | Noctua NH-D14 | 2x4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 | ASUS HD6950 DirectCU II 2GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | 2x WD Green 1TB

Weldingheart
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:04 am

Post by Weldingheart » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:36 am

Firetech wrote:
TomZ wrote:Real question is, how does it attach to the MB, and can a solid connection be made?

I tried another Thermalright with a similar design for my processor, and I could not get it to attach firmly enough to do a decent job. I had to conclude that the mounting hardware could have been designed better.
With any luck, this is just a prototype and the actual base will be circular to allow some rotation of the HS to clear components. I guess the dimple seen in the middle will allow a bar with locator (like the HR-01) to secure it. The bar will probably need two sets of holes to align with different NB HS mounting hole pitches. The lower weight of this HS probably won't give the same problem you experienced TomZ.
Looks pretty :wink:
That dimple remind me of koolance's chipset cooler mounting system:
da block
mounted

of course intel mounting system would be that annoying hook/clip thing

Firetech
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by Firetech » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:56 am

Weldingheart wrote:That dimple remind me of koolance's chipset cooler mounting system:
da block
mounted
Nice pics, thanks.
Main PC: Antec SLK 3000B, Fortron Bluestorm 400w, Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, Intel e7300, Kingston 2x2Gb Value DDR2, OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb, 320Gb 7200.10, 750Gb Samsung. Silencing/Cooling mods= Glacialtech 120mm front fan, rear Tri-cool on low, CPU HSF = std @ 850rpm :D
WHS: Antec LS-100, GA-MA74GM-S2H, LE-1250, 2x2Gb XMS DDR2, 7Tb
HTPC: Antec NSK2480B, MA78GPM-DS2H & Athlon 64 X2 4850e

frostedflakes
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: United States

Post by frostedflakes » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:35 pm

Wow, what a difference. So far the NB seems to be running very cool. Unfortunately I don't have any very scientific measurements for you guys, but I can tell you that the NB47J that was on here previously was extremely hot, 61*C on side of the base. Haven't bothered measuring base temperature yet with the fanless HR-05, but according to the finger test it is only lukewarm, I'd guess no higher than 35*C or so. Am even considering a little overclocking now, something I would never have done with my previous northbridge cooling.

My only gripe is that installation was kind of a pain, but not much worse than any NB heatsink. The dimple on the base is very shallow, so the bracket would come off it very easily while you were adjusting the heatsink or trying to clip it in.

Compatibility (at least with mounting hardware) shouldn't be an issue, as TR included two brackets of different lengths for clip-on installation and one bracket for Intel boards. They also included a pad for small die NB (such as Intel chipsets and nForce4).

Kind of on my way out the door here, so I'll post some pictures later.

EDIT: Measured the base at 38*C.
Corsair Obsidian 650D | Seasonic X-650 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 | Phenom II X4 955 | Noctua NH-D14 | 2x4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 | ASUS HD6950 DirectCU II 2GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | 2x WD Green 1TB

MrMajestic
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by MrMajestic » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:31 pm

frostedflakes wrote:Wow, what a difference. So far the NB seems to be running very cool. Unfortunately I don't have any very scientific measurements for you guys, but I can tell you that the NB47J that was on here previously was extremely hot, 61*C on side of the base. Haven't bothered measuring base temperature yet with the fanless HR-05, but according to the finger test it is only lukewarm, I'd guess no higher than 35*C or so. Am even considering a little overclocking now, something I would never have done with my previous northbridge cooling.

My only gripe is that installation was kind of a pain, but not much worse than any NB heatsink. The dimple on the base is very shallow, so the bracket would come off it very easily while you were adjusting the heatsink or trying to clip it in.

Compatibility (at least with mounting hardware) shouldn't be an issue, as TR included two brackets of different lengths for clip-on installation and one bracket for Intel boards. They also included a pad for small die NB (such as Intel chipsets and nForce4).

Kind of on my way out the door here, so I'll post some pictures later.

EDIT: Measured the base at 38*C.
Pictures, pictures, pictures!!!! :)
Silverstone TJ06|Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe|AMD64 3500+|TT Sonic Tower (passive)|2x512 HyperX|Radeon X700Pro

Post Reply