P150 with silver Floppy

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

P150 with silver Floppy

Post by JVM » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:18 pm

I purchased a silver Alps Floppy from Newegg and I think it looks great in the P150. I love the contrast it gives and think it goes better than beige or even a white floppy in the P150. What do you think?

A closer look

HiFi

Post by HiFi » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:58 pm

not really but thats just my opinion. i think it would be cleaner if it was white. some people dont even bother putting floppy drives anymore. oh i like the case though.

qviri

Post by qviri » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:01 am

HiFi wrote:some people dont even bother putting floppy drives anymore.
Guilty as charged :D

sanse

Re: P150 with silver Floppy

Post by sanse » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:22 am

JVM wrote:I purchased a silver Alps Floppy from Newegg and I think it looks great in the P150. I love the contrast it gives and think it goes better than beige or even a white floppy in the P150. What do you think?
looks good. every modern pc should have a legacy floppydrive. it might even look better with a silver dvd-writer without the stealth-bay.

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:46 am

I think in silver is ok, wanna buy one for mine p150 too, better than beige for sure :wink:

lloydo

Post by lloydo » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:35 pm

Haha yeah nice one!

I've actually been trying for a while to think of a way to colour-match and paint the black front of my Sony FDD to go with my upcoming P150.

There's always the tempting option of not mounting my floppy externally, it's hardly ever used anyway. I reckon I might mount it backwards and use the floppy hole as a top PSU duct, they're the latest fashion, right? :D

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:59 pm

lloydo wrote:I've actually been trying for a while to think of a way to colour-match and paint the black front of my Sony FDD to go with my upcoming P150.
In the past, I have painted floppy drive and CD drive covers black and it worked extremely well. Use a large empty box to do the painting in (outdoors or in the garage). I would recommend Krylon spray paint. Take your time and only paint one side at a time.

Make sure you take careful photos of the how the pieces fit together so you can put them back correctly. Pay very careful attention to the spring loaded door.

Even more important than standardizing on the metric or imperial system of measurement (or Fahrenheit vs. Celsius), I wish there would be a standard PC color so I don't have to keep painting my external drives. Can we expect the EU to dictate such a standard color soon?

lloydo

Post by lloydo » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:41 pm

m0002a wrote:I wish there would be a standard PC color so I don't have to keep painting my external drives. Can we expect the EU to dictate such a standard color soon?
hahaha :D Thanks for your advice. How well do you reckon painting a black cover P150 white would go? :?

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:22 pm

lloydo wrote:
m0002a wrote:I wish there would be a standard PC color so I don't have to keep painting my external drives. Can we expect the EU to dictate such a standard color soon?
hahaha :D Thanks for your advice. How well do you reckon painting a black cover P150 white would go? :?
It's kind of funny how at first I didn't want to go for the P150 because it was white and I was used to my Sonata being black. Now, after getting the P150, I like the white/silver look better than my Sonata :D

The real clever idea in the P150, aside from the suspension, is the way you can use any color optical drive and just press the eject button and you're fine without having to worry about matching colors.

And, of course, I love the silver floppy and how it matches the bottom part of the case and offers a nice contrast, in my most humble opinion :)

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:15 pm

lloydo wrote:hahaha :D Thanks for your advice. How well do you reckon painting a black cover P150 white would go? :?
I have only painted plastic parts, but I suppose painting the case could be done. But the results are not likely to be a glossy smooth finish that existed on the case before you painted it. I am not sure if a black P150 would look all that great anyway, since the front bezel is unpainted aluminum which you probably would not want to paint.

lloydo

Post by lloydo » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:13 pm

m0002a wrote:I have only painted plastic parts, but I suppose painting the case could be done. But the results are not likely to be a glossy smooth finish that existed on the case before you painted it. I am not sure if a black P150 would look all that great anyway, since the front bezel is unpainted aluminum which you probably would not want to paint.
No, I think you misunderstood me :wink: I meant painting the black plastic cover of my FDD the same white colour as the P150! There's no way I'd want to touch the P150 :D

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:25 pm

lloydo wrote:No, I think you misunderstood me :wink: I meant painting the black plastic cover of my FDD the same white colour as the P150! There's no way I'd want to touch the P150
As I previously mentioned, painting a CD drive or floppy drive face plate is very easy and the results using Kyrlon paint especially designed for plastic was excellent. I don't know if you can find the exact color you are looking for in Krylon spray paint, but I don't think anyone will be able to tell that you painted it.

Obviously you need to remove the face plates from the drive before you paint them, and make sure you know how to put them back on (the spring loaded floppy drive covers are tricky).

lloydo

Post by lloydo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:36 pm

THanks! I'll let you know how I go. :)