Antec P150: Back in Black? [called: Solo]

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Goldmember

Antec P150: Back in Black? [called: Solo]

Post by Goldmember » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:31 am

Hi all, this is my first post. SPCR has been a great help to me over the years and I just wanna say Thanks!

I've been looking at this pic for a few days and it is driving me crazy. If you ignore the BTX case in the center and look at the case on the right, what do you see? http://www.matbe.com/images/biblio/cebi ... 034643.jpg The picture was found in this gallery.

I see glossy black paint, P150 style intakes, 3 black anchors for the drive suspension, no psu and vinyl damping on the back panel. Please tell me I'm not crazy!

Update 1: It's official. This is a black P150 and I'm not crazy. :) This confirmation linkwas provided by Trunks.
Update 2: It's called the SOLO and will NOT have a PSU. This Antec PDF catalog linkwas provided by dart22.
Update 3: This Antec SOLO product page link was provided by elendil850.
You guys are awesome! 8)
Last edited by Goldmember on Sat May 20, 2006 11:28 am, edited 6 times in total.

openwheelformula1

Post by openwheelformula1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:44 am

yes, exactly what I wanted.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:57 am

You are right my friend.

I have had another look at SPCR's review of the P150, to check 3 minor points, to assure myself that my eyes are telling the truth.

The 2 cut outs on the inside of the door where it attaches to the front of the case.

The way the air vent down the front-side of the case are slightly recessed towards the front of the case.

The positioning of the thumbscrew on the door at the top.

They are all spot on :)

The only minor issue I have is that the flat front (very little to see) either looks white or silver :( It could be light from a flash of a camera, but that would have to be an amazing coincidence. The silver panel on the front of the current P150 also starts in exactly the same position as the white/silver panel appears on the picture of that Black P150.

I said right from the appearance of the P150 that I would buy one if it was available in black, I should have been more specific, ALL BLACK.!!!

Andy

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:50 pm

I think it's just one of the NSK cases...

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:52 pm

andyb wrote: The only minor issue I have is that the flat front (very little to see) either looks white or silver :( It could be light from a flash of a camera, but that would have to be an amazing coincidence. The silver panel on the front of the current P150 also starts in exactly the same position as the white/silver panel appears on the picture of that Black P150.

I said right from the appearance of the P150 that I would buy one if it was available in black, I should have been more specific, ALL BLACK.!!!

Andy
Yeah, I noticed the bezel too. I hope your flash theory is correct because a white panel would look out of place. Silver should look nice though. And as for all black, lol... I guess they didn't get your memo AndyB :)

Take care.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:25 pm

rpsgc wrote:I think it's just one of the NSK cases...
It seems to have the P150 hard-drive mounting system though. It's quite shiny too (gloss), are the NSKs that shiny?

Looks interesting, whatever it is.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:28 pm

Oops! It's not one of the NSK cases afterall...
Oh oh you've been fooled by the Atlas, the new server case ;)

piglickjf

Post by piglickjf » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:35 pm

rpsgc wrote:Oops! It's not one of the NSK cases afterall...
Doesn't look like it, actually. As noted, the case on the right in the OPs pic is very smooth and glossy and appears to have a white/silver face on the front, as well as the P150s (or very similar) suspended HD mounts (you can see by the reflection on the curved edges of the mounts that they are raised a bit relative to the surface of the metal rack).

The case in your pictures is a more textured/matte black, doesn't have a lighter colored face, and has empty, indented holes where the HD mounts are in that first pic.

PigLick
Last edited by piglickjf on Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

openwheelformula1

Post by openwheelformula1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:35 pm

lol, I actually thought I would replace my crappy Tsunami.

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:35 pm

Well, from your pics the Atlas clearly has the same base design as the P150 but it is not the same case I linked to. :) Hey, I may be wrong but I will wait for AntecRep to give his 2 cents. In the meantime, let me dream :lol:

Take care.

L3thal

Post by L3thal » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:11 pm

The only minor issue I have is that the flat front (very little to see) either looks white or silver
If you look at the BTX case on the left, the bottom of the silver bezel also
has the white/yellowish color to it. Looks to me it's just the lighting in the area causing that. If this is what it looks like, I would
be first inline to get one. :mrgreen: The gloss black looks great, but we all know how hard it is to keep it looking good. :D I'd really much
prefer a low-gloss/satin finish, but we can't all have our way, can we :wink

HueyCobra

Post by HueyCobra » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:59 am

rpsgc wrote:Oh oh you've been fooled by the Atlas, the new server case ;)
Is that really a server case? It seems a little small compared to Antec's previous server enclosures.

If the pic linked by Goldmember is a P150 (or P150-esque) sans PSU, I'm joining the queue to buy it :D

nick705

Post by nick705 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:27 am

HueyCobra wrote: Is that really a server case? It seems a little small compared to Antec's previous server enclosures.
It looks like an underfed version of the Titan (Atlas was a Titan I believe), with four HDD slots instead of six, three 5.25" bays instead of four (with another one convertible to 3.5"), no door and less back-to-front depth.

It would probably be a very good basis for a quiet PC as a cheaper alternative to the P150 (provided you can get it sans PSU). The ventilation looks every bit as good, and the HDD rack seems well suited to a DIY drive suspension solution (you don't get the rubber bands so you'd have to use your own material, but that might be a good thing all things considered...).

HueyCobra

Post by HueyCobra » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:35 am

nick705 wrote:It looks like an underfed version of the Titan (Atlas was a Titan I believe), with four HDD slots instead of six, three 5.25" bays instead of four (with another one convertible to 3.5"), no door and less back-to-front depth.
I'm not sure I grasp how it's a server case with those characteristics. Does it have any server-specific features?
nick705 wrote:It would probably be a very good basis for a quiet PC as a cheaper alternative to the P150 (provided you can get it sans PSU).
That's what I was thinking. It strikes me as a regular case, and possible competition for the P150. Though I'm not too fond of the exterior, or the TAC.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:46 am

Goldmember wrote:
Well, from your pics the Atlas clearly has the same base design as the P150 but it is not the same case I linked to. :) Hey, I may be wrong but I will wait for AntecRep to give his 2 cents. In the meantime, let me dream :lol:

Take care.
No you are not wrong. From the pictures linked here, I have to agree with you, either it is the black version of P150 or a new NSK desing, but the case is definately not the Atlas.

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:16 am

Update:

1) PMed AntecRep the other day hoping he or she will get a chance to respond soon to our suspicions.

2) Found another pic at matbe.com. The case in the background has some vinyl soundproofing on the back panel and no PSU. The problem is that it sits on a different table than my first pic. Me confused :?.

3) Just wanted to say to current P150 owners that none of you should have buyer's remorse. It really is a beautiful and classy case. As a matter of fact, I nearly bought one when it was on sale at CompUSA but was a little gun shy regarding the PSU. If this is a black P150, some people may not like it if it has Sonata style paint etc. It's kind of like black or white iPods; both look great but it simply boils down to personal preference. Quiet white or Stealth black :).

4) Thanks to all of you who kept an open mind about my silly thread :).

Take care.

kenji

Post by kenji » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:25 am

You can clearly see by looking at the first and second pics, that the first picture has NO power supply and the second has one.

kenji

Post by kenji » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:27 am

Oh and not to mention the holes @ drive suspension area (which match the p150) are large with the black rubberization while in the second picture they are small with no black rubber.

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:35 pm

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:21 am

I think that case is the NSK6500 which can be seen here.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:41 am

Tephras wrote:I think that case is the NSK6500 which can be seen here.
Comparison of the front corner of the NSK6500 vs the supposed black P150.
Trunks wrote:P150 or SLK?
Neither it is NSK.

And I think the case that OP first pointed out and the one on the right side of my picture is P150 black version.

It cannot be Atlas, for number of reasons given here. First being the paint. I can point the rest out, if you want.

Goldmember wrote:2) Found another pic at matbe.com. The case in the background has some vinyl soundproofing on the back panel and no PSU. The problem is that it sits on a different table than my first pic. Me confused :?.
Yeah you are confused now, that is not the same case you pointed out earlier. This is very likely some NSK-series case.

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:52 am

Erssa wrote:Yeah you are confused now, that is not the same case you pointed out earlier. This is very likely some NSK-series case.
Haha, wouldn't be the first time :wink:. Erssa, thank you for posting the side-by-side comparison. It should silence our critics for a little while :).

The NSKs are nice, modern replacements for the SLKs, but I really dislike that chicken-wire crap (AKA, Intel Thermally Advantaged Chassis). P150 for me 8).

Take care.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:51 pm

Erssa wrote:[picsnip]
Comparison of the front corner of the NSK6500 vs the supposed black P150.
I was referring to the case in the post above mine.

Trunks

Re: (Cebit) Antec P150: Back in Black?

Post by Trunks » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:57 am

Goldmember wrote:Hi all, this is my first post. SPCR has been a great help to me over the years and I just wanna say Thanks!

I've been looking at this pic for a few days and it is driving me crazy. If you ignore the BTX case in the center and look at the case on the right, what do you see? http://www.matbe.com/images/biblio/cebi ... 034643.jpg

I see glossy black paint, P150 style intakes, 3 black anchors for the drive suspension, no psu and vinyl damping on the back panel. Please tell me I'm not crazy!
Amazed I spent time contemplating the arguments. Guessing…
Goldmember, why did you just not link the article .
Yes black P150.

http://www.matbe.com/articles/lire/283/ ... page10.php
http://www.matbe.com/images/biblio/art_ ... 036544.jpg

Derek Baker

Post by Derek Baker » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:29 am

Am I the only one who thinks that white bezel looks absolutely horrible?

Derek

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:53 am

Trunks wrote:Amazed I spent time contemplating the arguments. Guessing…
Goldmember, why did you just not link the article .
Yes black P150.
Because the article was posted today smarty pants. The published date of March 16 is incorrect. Matbe had a gallery with 2 antec pics. I said in another thread that the gallery was pulled and they would have a complete article back up soon.

Sorry I hurt your little brain :evil:

Edit: Added a link to where I found the pics.
Last edited by Goldmember on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:41 am

Derek Baker wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that white bezel looks absolutely horrible?
LOL, I'm still digesting these new pics that Trunks posted, trying to decide if I like it or not. The case was @ Cebit for only a few days and it already has dust on it. :) The bezel looks silver in the left pic and white in the right pic. I think it's the bad lighting that others have mentioned previously.

So what do you guys think? Like, Dislike, or could care less? We still don't know the MSRP.

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:59 am

Goldmember wrote: Because the article was posted today smarty pants. The published date of March 16 is incorrect. ....
Sorry I hurt your little brain :evil:
Ok. I was just going by the date on the article. I don know French very well so navigating that sight was killing me.

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:02 am

I noticed the lack of Stealth Bays on this. Unless they are supper stealthy.

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:13 am

Trunks wrote:I noticed the lack of Stealth Bays on this. Unless they are supper stealthy.
Thanks for pointing that out; you are correct. I guess they figure black optical drives are easy to find, so no need for stealth bays.
Trunks wrote:Ok. I was just going by the date on the article. I don know French very well so navigating that sight was killing me.
Ok. Sorry then. I've been going to their homepage everyday for the last week hoping they would have more pics to put an end to the speculation. Thank God it's over :). BTW, I can't speak French either :wink:.

Take care.