Beware - Antec's front USB/FW ports do not work (in USB2.0)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

SimpleMind

Beware - Antec's front USB/FW ports do not work (in USB2.0)

Post by SimpleMind » Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:37 pm

This is an excerpt from a post I made on another forum (AnandTech) and I thought you might want to know before you buy. I could not get the front ports to work in 2.0 at all. The Tru P/S is great, and maybe 2.0 on the front isn't important to you, so just FYI:

The Antec 1080 will not run in USB 2.0 (on front) (post #6)

Ok, I have nailed it. I bought the Antec USB 2.0 kit ($13) that fits in a Drive bay. It has a much more robust cable (my suspicions are taking form). I removed the cheapo case mounted USB/Firewire PCB and cables, and installed the new PCB in it's place. Easy to do with one zip tie.

Now I have USB 2.0 on the front and works just fine with my Archos Jukebox and Iomega 40g 2.0 drives.

Losing the front Firewire is irritating, but I have two on the back (BTW, the front Firewire w/ antec's cheapo cable didn't work either)

Therefore, Antec really screwed the pooch on this one. The PLUS1080AMG is supposedly one of their flagship cases, and for $150 you would think they would spring for USB 2.0 capability, when other much cheaper competitors do.

Enough for moaning now. :evil:

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:44 am

You could have called into customer service and gotten replacement USB cables. Initially the Plus cases didnt' have the necessary shielded cables (and I'm sure some like that are sitting in warehouses still).

AntecRep

SimpleMind

Post by SimpleMind » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:26 pm

Thanks for your response!

I did call customer service and just today made contact. He stated that the USB Port on the 1080AMG was only USB 1.X, not 2.0. I expressed my concern that this was a relatively new product for Antec, that Antec's competitors provided 2.0 front ports and a sigificantly lower cost. :(

I also said that I have always preferred Antec for it's quality and state of the art power supplies, however Antec "blew it" on this one. :?
He will send me a replacement :) , but it will probably only be 1.X :evil:
The right thing would be if Antec owned up to it and replaced the existing PCB & wire with 2.0 compatible parts. :D

Dru
Patron of SPCR

Post by Dru » Tue May 27, 2003 4:15 pm

Bummer. I have the same problem. I just bought myself a Lexar 256MB JumpDrive (USB 2.0 flashdrive). It works great when it's plugged into the back (m/b panel). Connecting it to the front of the Antec 835-II case was a no-go. I've e-mailed Antec support. I'll let you know what becomes of it.

It's a shame because USB 2.0 is finally becoming the mainstream (more and more USB 2.0 devices coming out) and (most?) Antec cases' front USB ports only seem to support USB 1.1. Anyone know about the front USB ports of the new Sonatas?

wu299

sonata too?

Post by wu299 » Tue May 27, 2003 5:47 pm

can anyone confirm this for the antec sonata too? i've been too lazy to connect the front firewire and USB.

CFD

Post by CFD » Wed May 28, 2003 1:04 am

The Sonata supports USB 2.0, at least according to the information on Antec's site.

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Wed May 28, 2003 4:29 am

After having dodgy results with several cases (Antec, Thermaltake), I'm beginning to think one of the add-in expansion boxes (that fit in the 5" bay) may be the best solution. In theory, I like the built-in connectors on the case, avoiding snaking cables to the back or opening the front hatch for access. However, I'd prefer reliability and less hassle.

SimpleMind

Add-in boxes

Post by SimpleMind » Wed May 28, 2003 4:40 am

Your probably right, however, be careful what you choose. I tried the Soyo box....no go for USB 2.0, even though the literature said it would. The firewire connection worked fine ??? go figure.

somebody

Post by somebody » Wed May 28, 2003 3:18 pm

CFD wrote:The Sonata supports USB 2.0, at least according to the information on Antec's site.
Where on the website does it indicate that? A while ago, I was looking for that information and couldn't find it so I e-mailed Antec. They told me that the Sonata doesn't support USB 2.0.

offroad

Post by offroad » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:01 pm

Does anyone know if the Antec 3700 front USB ports support 2.0?

Thanks.

Herb W.

Post by Herb W. » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:10 am

The general rule of thumb with these guys is......

If they don't explicitly state they support a cutting-edge feature, they nearly always don't.

Herb W.

Post by Herb W. » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:10 am

The general rule of thumb with these guys is......

If they don't explicitly state they support a cutting-edge feature, they nearly always don't.

Dru
Patron of SPCR

Post by Dru » Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:06 pm

Reporting on my experience on getting new front USB 2.0 ports from Antec. They took about a day to reply (pretty good). Antec Tech. Support simply asked for my mailing address. Upon giving it to them, they said, "Consider it sent. Thank you for contacting Antec Tech Support".

About 2 days later, I received the new front ports. It was shipped via USPS Priority Mail. I didn't have to prove ownership nor pay shipping!

Results you ask? Well, great news! This new PCB supports my USB 2.0 drive now. Pics? Here ya go.. remember to click on the pictures for bigger screenshots!

Original Antec Front USB 1.1 ports:

New Antec Front USB 2.0 ports:

The 1st picture doesn't look too great because that's from my webcam *puke*. The 2nd shot was with my Digital. Short story: where I received my new PCB/USB board, I had my Digital.

The biggest difference you can see is that the 1.1 board has a capacitor on it. I'm not sure of any other differences.

So, if you think your front USB ports only support 1.1 USB devices, contact Antec Tech. Support. They seem to provide great service.