Announcing.... The Desputer.... Computers built into a desk

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:54 pm

Jim wrote:The actual noise factor is less then that of a conventional fridge (in quiet mode) db haven't yet been mesured.
Hmm, what are your fridges like because mine is loud!

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:08 pm

my old firdge was irratibly loud. My computer before i went silence crazed was quieter then that. (actually changing some rather loud house hold appliances is what led me to my computer)

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:15 pm

Hee hee. Man, I wish I'd have got to this post sooner! Crap. All the really good comments about how dumb do you have to be trash a forum regular with ~600 posts with your first post! And then want people to buy your product.

Oh man. I had a good, roll on the ground belly laugh. Thank you, kind vendor-man!

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:23 pm

Wow, I go on vacation for a couple of days and I miss all the good topics.

Sorry that I'm coming into this one sorta late. I'll try to include several comments into this one post, so bear with me.

Ok, so where to begin? Lets start here:
alchemist wrote:Actually.. No, We have already patented our Desputer Desk's (several designs) quite some time ago. If you have a problem, why don't you take it up with Rusty instead of wasting your time posting such a pathetic post.

I am just announcing our style of desks that we produce and have been doing for the past four years.

Regards,
Dave
Looks like these guys went to the Peter Kim School of Customer Service.
Jim wrote:um excuse me people but it is not his company it is mine....
So are you distancing your company from this guy, or is he your spokesman? It's hard to tell.

Jim wrote:...i have been making these and designing these for well over four years now through australia. they were previously sold under the command of jim's computer services but has now transfered to idf.
4 years of building these and that's as good as you've gotten them to look? I had mockups that looked classier than that. Looks to me like you should ask Walmart to carry your products.
Jim wrote:we do have patents for these throught the globe but it's not just for the desks... it's the entire range.. and its not the particular desk i have patented but the concept behind it and the integration of the other components which are hard wired to the motherboard using our own blue printed designs.
Exactly what are your patents for? I'm not an expert on Australian patent law but screwing a computer into a desk doesn't seem like the type of innovation that needs to be patent protected. Could you give me the patent numbers you hold? Might make for some interesting reading. Is #713973 your's? I could see copyrighting the name "desputer", but do you really think a company would steal a name that's that amateurish anyway?

Speaking of amateurs...I've never been one to criticize grammar, especially here on the internet, but in your first post Jim I counted 22 grammatical errors. I'm not being a nitpick either. When you correspond in a public forum as a representative of your company your words reflect upon the company. Would you expect someone to send thousands of dollars to a company who's president doesn't have a functioning grasp of his own native tongue?

Now I don't mean to come off as all negative. I understand the effort that go into running a small business and I'd like to help. As you may have noticed from my sig I am currently seeking employment. Perhaps your company could make use of some of my freelance design skills to improve your "desputer" Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss the possibility.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:19 pm

Rusty, please tell me you don't go into all your job interviews like that. :)

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:03 am

LOL this is fast becoming my new favorite thread. Just curious does anyone else think that desputer is a lame name? The more I think about it though, I could build alot better deskcomputer that would be near silent and look cool. Not to mention probably cost less. Maybe ill do that :)

Bat

Post by Bat » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:23 pm

So who has what role here?

Alchemist said he's working with a company, and gives a website for it and an email address for himself at that domain.
Alchemist seems to have accepted the vendor badge.

Jim said that alchemist is nothing to do with the company.

I don't see how both can be right.
Compare alchemist's first post (he's only made three, all in this thread) with Jim's post of Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:44 pm.

Another pair of things to note:
1. Jim says there's no connection between them.
2. They both got accounts here within a day of each other.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:31 pm

Its confusign but deskputer is lame.
I have also seem many people screw computers onto desks or build them in one.

I believe ibm used to make multi part computers mounted on a nice looking balck desk.

Not ot mention the photo editing in the picture is horrible.

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:44 pm

I need to read a bit more slowly. When I saw
Jim wrote:The desk is actually very quiet... unless the sound system is going..
I thought I had read
Jim wrote:The desk is actually very quiet... unless the system is going..
and I then thought, "Well, my desk is also very quiet when my computer is off." :roll:

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:09 pm

Those edited quotes are funny. I never really thought of doing that. But allow me to do it now!
tragus wrote:Wussboy is the smartest guy I know.
Wow. That can be kind of dangerous. Sorry about borrowing your name, tragus. However, if you knew me, I'm sure you'd agree. :)

It just occured to me that what I did might be forbidden in the forum rules. Is it? If so I apologize. If it isn't, you'd think it should be.

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:17 am

Radeonman wrote:The real problem, tragus, is when your computer isn't on and *still* makes a lot of noise. Then you're really screwed.
Hmmm, your remark reminds me of this thread..

wussboy: I think you are now subject to a penalty of putting a delta fan 15 cm from your ear for 20 minutes.

Ob on-topic: I'm actually a bit surprised at the ergonomic design of the "desputer". The space for the monitor seems highly restrictive for both monitor size and placement (see many country's guidelines for proper monitor/eye placement). Further, I've yet to see a drawer-type keyboard/mouse platform that does not shake when extended. If the desputer is sold as an all-in-house solution, I would have imagined perhaps a wireless keyboard/mouse or going with some type of solid built-in keyboard rather than a conventional one plopped on a shelf.

I continue to be cautious about their lack of solid numbers for noise levels and/or heat issues. I believe a small form factor computer in a ventilated drawer might do even more nicely for less $$$.

I'm glad for the company that they seem to be selling. I'm sorry for the market that their product is not more interesting or innovative.

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:48 am

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:36 am

For starters, I feel that this post should have been placed in this forum:
Deals, Vendors & Classifieds
Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Secondly, alchemist's post was very unprofessional. And when the boss comes online and condones the activity of his employee, that just shows me what type of people you are. Thanks for the info. I won't be buying from you.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:38 am

My appologies to all who feel I have not my things clear about this entire post.

1. Alchemist (IDF's Server - nothing more) started a thread to show people on this forum that there was someone busides rusty that had a desk with a built in computer. (This was not something the company had asked him to do it was a gesture of good will).

2. Somebody sparked an argument - Alchemist retaliated.

3. After being informed of what was happening, I attempted to recover the situation but it was obviously too negative in this thread already.

4. The 'Desputer Collection' isn't made up of just desks.. there are plenty more porducts available and the specs on all of these products are also available by contacting us.

5. Rusty's has done a great job on his desk and I have spoken with him in regards to legalities and so forth. As far as I can see, all is sweet with him.

6. Someone said something about the monitor sizing.... The desks are customiseable.. which means they are built to the customers needs. The desk that was shown was the very first desputer ever made. Since that we have modified and enhanced the design to give almost complete silence. As I mentioned earlier I don't have a noise tester so I can't give you the db readout.

7. If I was to place a thread for people to notice me I would have used a site that was closer to our location (i.e an australian site) and I would have prepared the document rather than rushing it and making my company look bad.

8. I agree with Katana man that the thread should have been placed in the Deals, Vendors & Classifides section but as I did not know of alchemist's activities until it was too late, there was nothing that could be done.

9. If anyone felt a company was doing wrong in some way I would hope they would take it up with that company rather than slander it's products and abilities accross the internet. If the person didn't do this I feel that they would be as bad as the company they were complaining against.

10. Once again, my apologies if anyone was misinformed, felt insulted, disgruntled or in someway was displeased with this thread being placed. But as I stated in point one.. it was alchemist that placed the thread not IDF.

Thanks for the good responses I have received via email and Thanks for allowing IDF some sort of Reconciliationwithin this thread.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:14 am

Jim, thanks for sticking with the thread. I made a false assumption about Alchemist's relation to the Desputer product line, and so I associated his unprofessionalism with your products. Now I see that my initial reaction was off-target; your business means business!

Personally, I'm too in love with my computer to hide it inside a piece of furniture; I'd prefer slick-looking wooden computer case, but I'm probably in the minority! I hope your business does well, and that you continue investigating ways to quiet your products. SPCR can be a great resource for you...

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:53 am

Yeah, we all got off on the wrong foot, that's for sure. Kudos for having the balls to stick this one out. Cheers and good luck.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:48 am

I have some constructive criticism if that's okay.

I think the drives could really use some modding. The beige CD/DVD drive in a wood desk stick out like a soar thumb. I think a custom face plate, stealth cover or a fold down door would look a lot better.

That support board going along the bottom looks like it would get in the way. I would be kicking that all the time. (Maybe that's my own problem as I can't sit still. =)

Maybe some work on hiding the wires would help too. It looks kind of messy in there.

Vaeltaja

Post by Vaeltaja » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:11 pm

I am a bit curious on those patents on the Desputer computers-in-a-desk thingies. What kinds of things do the patents cover? The general idea of a computer built into a desk is certainly not new and a brief googling can give examples for prior art on that part.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:19 am

Constructive criticism is a great thing.. Cheers for your input on the subject.. As things are we have acutually had some faceplates custom made now to suit the grain in the desks... Leaving them bearly noticeable at all.. Next time a desk comes through I will be sure to get a few Better pics of it and perhaps show the cooling system we have now integrated into the desks and other furnishings.

2. Patents are a very difficult thing to get around, almost everything we do needs a new patent in order to keep ourselves covered, if we have something similar already, sometimes that previous patent will cover the new product.. As far as the lounges, coffee tables, wallunits and products like that we have our own design of curcuitry which has certain components integrated together to form the new board. i.e. we start with the latest mother boards then re-wire them and hardwire extra componentry to that board... thus leaving us with a completely new design of motherboard... This new design of motherboard is only available through IDF and this is the patent we protect the most.. For those who would like to build their own desk, we actually have some schematics for you to follow (at a cost) which allows you to build your own version of the desk. We dont recommend this be done on your own. we recommend a quailified electrition and a quailified technition should be on hand to perform the wiring and configuration of the componentry to prevent electricution and possible damage to ones self or desk or even the house. We have had DIY people making a mess of there home built jobs because they didn't want any qualified persons on the job. There has even been the odd case of people burning their living room down :( ..

However .. long story cut short.. we aren't out to nail everyone that wants to do something for themselves.. we just wont tollerate those that copy our designs in order to create themselves a profit by selling that copy. Deals can be made to those who would like to resell the desputers. information is available in our resller section. For American companies that would like to produce our desputers we could also make seperate arrangements much like a franchise situation.. (which I may add is on the way soon).

If anyone had any further questions they could feel free to email our reception .. [email protected] and we will do our best to respond asap..
Cheers.

Vaeltaja

Post by Vaeltaja » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:42 am

Thanks for clearing that up, Jim :)

Patents are such a finicky thing, what with that prior art thing and all. A desk with a built in computer could be largely an unenforceable patent, but a circuitry that's truly unique or a motherboard that has been heavily modified to be truly unique (assuming you've the permission of the original motherboard manufacturer whose patented technology you're using as the base) could easily be enforceable.

On the other hand, were I to build a computer into a desk myself I do not think I would need to heavily modify the motherboard for it so the patent issue would be moot. Perhaps I would create a simple device for controlling a pump and fans for watercooling, for example, but those kinds of devices are very simple and their schematics are widely available, and patent free.

Which brings to my mind another question, what kinds of things do your computer have that differ from stock motherboards and other components? I am certain they're unique, powerful, and inherently useful, but I am simply curious to know what these circuitries do.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:48 am

Vaeltaja – in response to your question ……

Our Customizations can vary from one extreme to the next. Each depending on what the customer is asking for. The average system will come with a P4 2.4, Basic projector, amplifier and satellite decoder being hardwired together with motherboard modifications.

However, one of our best systems so far (last month) was a …

King Size black leather sofa bed with most of the following components hardwired or integrated.
• Intel Server Board SE7505VB2. With dual Intel Xeon 3.06GB processors, a 533MHz system bus, and the Intel E7505 chipset.
• 4 x Western Digital250.0GBHDD IDE, 8MB Cache, 8.5ms, 7200rpm , ATA-100, w/Data Lifeguard
• Hercules 3D Prophet ATI Radeon 9800PROw/TV Out & DVI
• Creative SoundBlaster Audigy2 Digital Entertainment Platinum, support DVD Audio, Dolby Digital EX 6.1, THX THX-Certified
• 4 X Kingmax 1GBRegistered ECC PC2100 266MHz DDR for Server
• DVD-SONY-0016K & DVDRW-SONY-500U
• JVC DLA-SX21U Projector
• Panasonic Bluetooth Adaptor Kit. Transferring still image wirelessly from Digital Camcorder to PC
• S-Media External TV-Box Multimedia Solution with Remote Control - Turns your LCD/CRT into a 1024x768 Hi-RES TV (he threw out the remote and now uses the Marantz remote)
• 6 x Grande Utopia Speakers (imported from Germany)
• Marantz MM9000P Amplifier & RC9200P IR Remote
• No-name brand satellite decoder
• Microsoft XBOX
• Bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboard – (still waiting for them currently using wireless)
• Wireless ADSL Router & 2.4Ghz wireless card
• Super-Flower Gold finish, three fans with gold-painted grills ATX520W Pentium 4 Power Supply CE, C-Tick Approved with IDF Fan Baffling.

The customer got all of this and a few extra’s, firewire cards etc, controls, games and software. But the system came with a price tag of AUS$ 52.674 Due to importing and integrating costs. We have had nothing but good comments and referrals from this guy…… He’s one happy fella.

Then on the other end of the scale, we do basic systems with a P4 1.8GB, 20GBhdd, 52x CD, 15”LCD monitor and all onboard sound/video etc built into a coffee table or bedside cabinet.. Which would fetch a price of around AUS$ 4000… (take into account that here in aus.. Large Companies such as Harvey Norman, would sell a similar system for around $3500 without the Cabinet making or Electrical wiring.).

I hope this has helped you in some way..

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:39 am

Jim wrote: the system came with a price tag of AUS$ 52.674
:shock: I know the australian dollar isn't worth as much as the american, but still, he's more than just happy... he's rather rich!

Lets get him on our folding team! :)

Vaeltaja

Post by Vaeltaja » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:45 am

Thank you for the elaborate description, Jim. It certainly looked like an impressive system!

However I am still somewhat confused on what the patented circuitries do. Am I correct in assuming that one of the modifications is the "hardwired satellite decoder" for the motherboard? What other kinds of custom modifications are there?

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:07 pm

The mother boards, amplifier, and decoders are stripped down and all of the "onboard" plugs (usb, com ports, scart connections etc) are removed. Then modifications are made so they become all part of one boards curcuitry, (similar to that of a laptop, where the monitor is a seperate item but still wired directly to the board.). The end result is similar to that of a component hi-fi system. (next time i'm down at the workshop I'll get a couple of pics for you). With wall units, lounges, bed heads etc, there is plenty of room to work with.. were are currently in the process of designing a single motherboard that will have the same capapilities as the combined boards above, and still have room for upgrading etc. We dont just use gigabyte or asus boards, we are constantly looking for improved boards to learn from. Our Tech team uses the technology from the best gear we can find, then we see if we can improve or combine its technology into the theory's we already have. We should be releasing or boards soon. (sometime within the next six months) .. The complete end result we want is a single board that is easy to upgrade, capable of decoding satellite, astonishing sound, am/fm and TV tuner and all oprative via remote and/or bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Still confused?? .. some mods are now running an amplifier hard wired directly to the motherboard, ( no sound cards ) and the decoder's are now missing quite a few parts.. AUX plugs (xbox, ps2, digital camcorder etc) can be plugged in to an out of the way panel ... The sub woofers are also built into the unit (not sitting on the board but is wired directly)and wireless speakers are included, which leaves the unit remaining a unit with one power plug and one satellite cable (we are also currently designing a wireless connection for the satellite.)

If you wanted further info.. can you be a little more specific as to what you want to know, as you would probably gather I wont reveal every secret of our design or it will make it too easy for others to make alterations to it. 101 alterations and the product can be re patented in that country. (not 100% on american patent laws, however that is the case in aus.)

msmrodan

Post by msmrodan » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:02 pm

we recommend a quailified electrition and a quailified technition should be on hand to perform the wiring and configuration of the componentry to prevent electricution and possible damage to ones self or desk or even the house. We have had DIY people making a mess of there home built jobs because they didn't want any qualified persons on the job.
This whole thread is so sad I don't even know where to start...

Vaeltaja

Post by Vaeltaja » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:00 pm

Alright, thank you, that cleared things up a bit.
If you wanted further info.. can you be a little more specific as to what you want to know, as you would probably gather I wont reveal every secret of our design or it will make it too easy for others to make alterations to it. 101 alterations and the product can be re patented in that country. (not 100% on american patent laws, however that is the case in aus.)
Aye, patents are troublesome are they not? On one hand you might want to patent your trade secrets, but once you patent them they're not really secret anymore...

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:14 am

Glad to be of assistance Vaeltaja, if you wanted anymore information you could email me via the IDF website, and I may be able to be a little bit more specific for you.

Rusty.. if you happen to read this could you email me as there are some things I would like to discuss with you... Cheers

If anyone else had any questions, I would be glad to answer them..

Thanks to spc for allowing the thread to stay where it is, next time IDF releases something it will be in the Deals & Venders Section..

Thanks again to the rest of you for being reasonable and understanding the situation throughout the thread.