Zalman hp-80d on 7800gt?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

walla walla

Zalman hp-80d on 7800gt?

Post by walla walla » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:05 am

Would the zalman hp-80d be able to cool my eVGA 7800gt card? My guitar teacher decided to get one for his card, but then decided to just replace the card entirely, and he offered to give the zm80d to me. I currently have the accelero x1 on it, and I'd like it to be a little quiter. I remember reading something that it only works if the card doesnt have more than some number of pixel pipelines. So will it work?

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:56 pm

I believe I've read about a few members on here who have had success with a ZM80D-HP on their 7800GT. Just keep in mind you'll still need some airflow over the Zalman. One way to do this that I find very effective is to remove the PCI slot cover under the VGA card. This will allow your case exhaust fan(s) to pull room-temp air into the case and over the VGA card. This airflow setup able to keep my overclocked 7900GT w/ZM80D-HP at very reasonable temps (<75*C load).

You might also give BIOS GPU undervolting a try with the 7800GT. I'm pretty sure this is possible, just haven't heard of anybody who has tried it out yet.

walla walla

Post by walla walla » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:17 pm

Thanks. I'm probably not going to bother with it since i'm pretty happy with the accelero, but I might take it just to have and maybe i'll try putting it on sometime.