P150 owners, please post pictures of your setup

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

b1_

P150 owners, please post pictures of your setup

Post by b1_ » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:32 am

We all know the P150 is a quiet case, but does it look good. It may look good by itself but add an LCD display, keyboard and mouse and it starts to lose its appeal because very few peripherals match its look.

I've started a thread to debate the matter here http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... m?t=509925. Unfortunately nobody is posting any pics. In fact I don't think any of the replies posted so far even own a P150; I thought the case was far more popular than this.

Someone out there must have a fully assembled P150 system with LCD and keyboard/mouse set up on their desk that they can take a pic of. If you don't have a camera but do have a P150, just describe your setup.

I hope this thread is not off the topic of this site. I bought this case because of its silencing abilities first and foremost based on the recommendations of this site, and I'll be keeping it thankyou very much because of that. But, now that I have it sitting on my desk I wonder if it's as sexy as I thought it looked in pics (I'm still undecided :) ) and I'm also having difficulty finding an LCD, and for that matter a DVD burner aswell, with the specs I want, to match. I'm thinking this would be far less painful with a black case.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:22 am

P150 and 3700BQE. Silver/black keyboard, silver/black monitor, silver/dark gray mouse:

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:27 am

Ralf, where did you get the foam you have on the wall behind your cases, and is it some kind of special acoustic foam. More importantly, what are the statue and the funny globe thing on the top of your desk, and the thing in front of your left speaker? And dude, that's a LOT of DVD disks you have there... And is that a P180 on the side with 3 stickers on the front, ruining the black monolith look of the case? For shame!

qviri

Re: P150 owners, please post pictures of your setup

Post by qviri » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:36 am

b1_ wrote:and I'm also having difficulty finding an LCD, and for that matter a DVD burner aswell, with the specs I want, to match.
You do know that P150 comes with two drive stealth covers in a matching colour? That way, the only time you'll see your black burner is when you open it to put in a CD.

b1_

Post by b1_ » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:12 am

Yes I do know the drive bays are stealthed qviri.

Thx for the pic Ralf. I don't think it flatters the P150 though, do you? It stands out like a saw thumb.

I noticed you've cut a slit in one of the drive bays. Is that for direct insertion of CDs? If so what's the DVD/CD burner?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:49 am

Shadowknight wrote:Ralf, where did you get the foam you have on the wall behind your cases, and is it some kind of special acoustic foam.
McMaster-Carr, IIRC. Yes, it's "acoustic" but I doubt that really means anything special.
Shadowknight wrote:More importantly, what are the statue and the funny globe thing on the top of your desk, and the thing in front of your left speaker?
Ermmm. OK. The statue is a very early Intel "Bunny Man" doll from 1995-ish. The funny globe is in fact, a funny globe. It's an actual Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine) snow globe. A.E.N. is my hero. The thing in front of the speaker is a picture of my wife when she was 5 years old, inserted into a little display knick-knack that she made for her mom for Mother's Day.

Shadowknight wrote:And dude, that's a LOT of DVD disks you have there...
You can never have too many blank Taiyo Yuden DVDrw and CDrw floating around. Note the Kodak Gold disks as well. No reason to scrimp on data backup/storage.

Shadowknight wrote:And is that a P180 on the side with 3 stickers on the front, ruining the black monolith look of the case? For shame!
That "monolith" is actually a 2-drawer filing cabinet with some Intel fridge magnets stuck on it. It's where I keep all my receipts, owners manuals and stuff. It's a tribute to my constant effort to single-handedly support the world economy.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:54 am

b1_ wrote:I noticed you've cut a slit in one of the drive bays. Is that for direct insertion of CDs? If so what's the DVD/CD burner?
That's a Plextor 716 DVDrw with it's bezel painted with white vinyl dye to match the case color. I don't particularly care for the "stealtehd drive bays" so I ditched them on this case. Note the FDD/card reader is also colored to match the case.

Stjopatron

Post by Stjopatron » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:05 am

I like this thread. It reminds me of the "home decoration" reports we get in our Sunday papers' supplements. Good that I didn't get my paper today! (I have an Antec P160, so no photos sorry)

GebissetDK

Post by GebissetDK » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:02 am

Mine is beneath the desk, and yes, it does stand out from the rest of the peripherals:

Mike_P

Post by Mike_P » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:10 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote: That's a Plextor 716 DVDrw with it's bezel painted with white vinyl dye to match the case color. I don't particularly care for the "stealtehd drive bays" so I ditched them on this case. Note the FDD/card reader is also colored to match the case.
ok.. where's the write up dont hold out on us!! :lol:

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Wed May 03, 2006 2:25 pm

Here is my setup

yea, everything is black and silver except the case and the mic :P

and Ralf.. I got the same keyboard and printer as you! lol!

nici

Post by nici » Wed May 03, 2006 3:29 pm

Im going to be nice today, and because of that ill post the ugliest pictures yet so everyone else will feel even better about their setups :D Mind you the pictures are taken with a phone, and unfortunate for you there´s no pics of me painting almost the whole monstrosity black inside and out. The project been on hold now for three months i think, don´t try poking out a hair from wet paint as it will look worse after you´ve tried to remove it... :lol:

You can kind of see my old crappy lcd in the background on this one, Image

Here´s a stripped P150,

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Wed May 03, 2006 5:13 pm

Ralf,

A few questions:

1. Is that an anti-static mat on the floor?

2. What model chair is that in your photo?

3. What is the remote control for?

b1_

Post by b1_ » Thu May 04, 2006 4:58 am

jimmyzaas wrote:Here is my setup

yea, everything is black and silver except the case and the mic :P

and Ralf.. I got the same keyboard and printer as you! lol!
Best looking P150 setup so far, but for god's sake man, paint that floppy drive ASAP :wink:

I've got my P150 setup finally. I'm just ignoring looks until I get everything working and quiet. No problems so far. I may even take a pic once I clear away all these boxes and cables etc.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu May 04, 2006 5:01 am

JVM wrote:Ralf,

A few questions:

1. Is that an anti-static mat on the floor?
Nope, just a standard office mat from Frys.
JVM wrote:2. What model chair is that in your photo?
It's a long-out-of-production H-M Aeron-esque ripoff from Office Depot from about 5 years ago.
JVM wrote:3. What is the remote control for?
My Rega Planet 2000 CD player

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Thu May 04, 2006 9:13 am

b1_ wrote: Best looking P150 setup so far, but for god's sake man, paint that floppy drive ASAP :wink:

I've got my P150 setup finally. I'm just ignoring looks until I get everything working and quiet. No problems so far. I may even take a pic once I clear away all these boxes and cables etc.
I know.. that damn floppy is one ugly mofo.. i'm actually thinking of getting rid of it altogether. I'm not sure I want to buy a can of white vinyl dye just for the floppy.. what are the chances I'll use it again?

I actually thought GebissetDK's setup looks pretty hot :) I want that silver lamp!

GebissetDK

Post by GebissetDK » Thu May 04, 2006 10:41 am

jimmyzaas wrote: I know.. that damn floppy is one ugly mofo.. i'm actually thinking of getting rid of it altogether. I'm not sure I want to buy a can of white vinyl dye just for the floppy.. what are the chances I'll use it again?

I actually thought GebissetDK's setup looks pretty hot :) I want that silver lamp!
I have the same problem with the floppy. It's a shame Antec didn't provide a stealth. My previous Shuttle SN25P had this - one of few good things about a Shuttle imho :)

Thanks :) The lamp was pretty cheap somewhere around 15 USD at one of the local supermarkets. I actually had one previously, where the base looked like yours, but the halogen died and it was cheaper to buy a new with standard light bulbs.

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Thu May 04, 2006 5:19 pm

GebissetDK wrote: I have the same problem with the floppy. It's a shame Antec didn't provide a stealth. My previous Shuttle SN25P had this - one of few good things about a Shuttle imho :)

Thanks :) The lamp was pretty cheap somewhere around 15 USD at one of the local supermarkets. I actually had one previously, where the base looked like yours, but the halogen died and it was cheaper to buy a new with standard light bulbs.
Haha.. it looked like a designer lamp.. my lamp costed $20 CAD at one of them hardware stores.. the stupid halogen bulb costed like 10 bucks? or something stupid like that :(

I'm really irritated by the size of the base.. when I look at yours, I can't help but feel ripped off :(

b1_

Post by b1_ » Fri May 05, 2006 4:14 am

jimmyzaas wrote: I know.. that damn floppy is one ugly mofo.. i'm actually thinking of getting rid of it altogether. I'm not sure I want to buy a can of white vinyl dye just for the floppy.. what are the chances I'll use it again?

I'm not running a floppy in mine. I never use it. Just wish Antec had provided a few spare full 3.5' bay covers.

jeffmd

Post by jeffmd » Sun May 07, 2006 1:43 pm

211kb - View Full Image

Heres my set up, its not on the floor because I have a larger computer down there acting as my file server (an older antec case btw ^^, something 80). Prolly the only thing that isnt color matching is my mouse.. but damnit thats the best mouse in the world! They don't make those force feedback mice anymore.

btw anyone see what happened to my account? I swore I done posted here before. ^^

Oh yea, the huge collection up top is several years of anime fansub collecting. :oops:

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Mon May 08, 2006 7:29 pm

jeffmd wrote:Image
211kb - View Full Image

Heres my set up, its not on the floor because I have a larger computer down there acting as my file server (an older antec case btw ^^, something 80). Prolly the only thing that isnt color matching is my mouse.. but damnit thats the best mouse in the world! They don't make those force feedback mice anymore.

btw anyone see what happened to my account? I swore I done posted here before. ^^

Oh yea, the huge collection up top is several years of anime fansub collecting. :oops:
holy crap.. I want that stack of anime!!! ahh.. nice to have another anime fan in these forums :P

also what is that stack of video cards doing? is that a radeon 9800?

my previous case was a SX1030 antec .. is yours the same? :)

btw.. i think you'd need that black P150 to match your sexy dell monitor and your black keyboard

jeffmd

Post by jeffmd » Tue May 09, 2006 4:43 am

Hmm, I looked on antecs site but was unable to find it. The closest match I found visualy was http://www.antec.com/us/support_product ... odID=80602 . But no front ports, and mine has/came with 2 fans in the back and 3 fans in the front w/ plastic purple sleeves.

Stack of cards is a 9600xt (rescently upgraded this comp to an evga 7800gs SO), a geforce3 wich I need to find a new heatsink for, and my tired old santa cruise wich I found is currently unstable now on todays games. :/

elendil850
Friend of SPCR

Post by elendil850 » Tue May 09, 2006 7:16 am

jeffmd wrote:Hmm, I looked on antecs site but was unable to find it. The closest match I found visualy was http://www.antec.com/us/support_product ... odID=80602 . But no front ports, and mine has/came with 2 fans in the back and 3 fans in the front w/ plastic purple sleeves.

Stack of cards is a 9600xt (rescently upgraded this comp to an evga 7800gs SO), a geforce3 wich I need to find a new heatsink for, and my tired old santa cruise wich I found is currently unstable now on todays games. :/
The Black P150 (Actualled called the 'Solo') has not been released yet, and therefore is not posted on Antec's website.

HOWEVER, if you go to their Product Catalogue and look on the 5th page, you can see it there.

jeffmd

Post by jeffmd » Tue May 09, 2006 11:06 am

I was refering to the case my file server uses.

b1_

Post by b1_ » Thu May 11, 2006 5:58 am

The black P150 can be seen here.
http://www.matbe.com/images/biblio/art_ ... 036544.jpg

From this article (in French)
http://www.matbe.com/articles/lire/283/ ... page10.php

There's a popular thread ongoing atm discussing the black P150 just above this thread. Link:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=30020

Sohjen

Post by Sohjen » Wed May 17, 2006 4:32 pm

I have question for those who have built a system using the P150. Do you use only one 92mm fan mount or both? I'm curious as to which configuration would be better. I don't need absolute silence and would like to keep the hard drives as cool as possible without making too much noise. I'm going to get a Solo whenever it comes out so I'm trying to plan ahead :). Gracias.

Oh atm I'm using a 3000b with an Antec Tricool in front if that matters any. Nexus in the back. And Zalman heatsinks for VGA and proc :P.

Raygers

Post by Raygers » Wed May 17, 2006 5:41 pm

nici wrote:Im going to be nice today, and because of that ill post the ugliest pictures yet so everyone else will feel even better about their setups :D
nici, if you don't mind me saying, that has to be the messiest setup I've seen in this forum. . . . . . . and I think it's great, it looks even better than mine. My wife keeps mine in check, or tries to, I think she's losing though :D

Ray

nici

Post by nici » Thu May 18, 2006 12:13 am

Raygers wrote: nici, if you don't mind me saying, that has to be the messiest setup I've seen in this forum. . . . . . . and I think it's great, it looks even better than mine. My wife keeps mine in check, or tries to, I think she's losing though :D

Ray
I have a good excuse for having it like that, though i can´t seem to remember it anymore :lol: Anyway, my current setup has the pump and hdd outside the case with wires and tubes everywhere, my excuse being that i dont have enough tubing to finish it properly :wink:

GebissetDK

Post by GebissetDK » Thu May 18, 2006 7:31 am

Sohjen wrote:I have question for those who have built a system using the P150. Do you use only one 92mm fan mount or both? I'm curious as to which configuration would be better. I don't need absolute silence and would like to keep the hard drives as cool as possible without making too much noise. I'm going to get a Solo whenever it comes out so I'm trying to plan ahead :). Gracias.

Oh atm I'm using a 3000b with an Antec Tricool in front if that matters any. Nexus in the back. And Zalman heatsinks for VGA and proc :P.
I'm using the supplied Antec Tricool 120mm at the back and another Antec Tricool 92mm at the front, both at low. Although I'm going to replace one or both of them as they've become noticeably louder during the last month :(

My HD was very hot before I installed the 92mm at the front - due to bad airflow (I haven't covered up the holes in the backplate or tried to divert the airflow in any way).

se92692

Post by se92692 » Mon May 22, 2006 6:07 pm

I've always liked the white gloss look of the Apple systems. When I saw the P150 case, I decided to build a system with the following matching white/silver components:

Antec P150 case
Creative I-Trigue L3450 speakers
17" Westinghouse widescreen monitor
Logitech LX501 wireless keyboard and mouse
Logitech Quickcam Zoom USB

I will be buying a Core 2 Duo (Conroe) processor and compatible Asus motherboard hopefully sometime in July.

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image. ... 0016d6.jpg