Would "locking" pipelines result in cooler running

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sktir

Would "locking" pipelines result in cooler running

Post by sktir » Sat May 13, 2006 8:05 am

I have just replaced the FX5200 in my MCE System with a Gigabyte 6800NU card that was freed up due an upgrade of my main pc. The 6800 has provided a much better picture through the S-Video connection but (obviously) creates far far more heat. This got me thinking. Could I block some of the GPU pipelines and reduce the temperature. When this card came out the orignal BIOS had only 8 pipes available so the card will run like this.

I've already underclocked it are there any other options to help cool it down.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sat May 13, 2006 9:32 am

sktir wrote:Could I block some of the GPU pipelines and reduce the temperature. When this card came out the orignal BIOS had only 8 pipes available so the card will run like this. I've already underclocked it are there any other options to help cool it down.
Interesting idea; I doubt that it will help reduce the power usage much at idle or in 2D tasks. There is software that allows you to undervolt certain classes of GPU’s. I’m not sure if your card is supported, but that’s worth a look; I don’t know what the software is called though.

Tephras

Re: Would "locking" pipelines result in cooler run

Post by Tephras » Sat May 13, 2006 12:40 pm

sktir wrote:This got me thinking. Could I block some of the GPU pipelines and reduce the temperature. When this card came out the orignal BIOS had only 8 pipes available so the card will run like this.
In a thread over at the Guru3D forum concerning the unlocking of the pipes on a 6800LE the same question was asked, albeit from another angle, i.e. if the pipe unlocking would increase the temperature, the answer was that the number of active pipes doesn't affect the VGA temperature, I don't know if that's correct though. On the other hand, with 8 pipes your VGA might need less power compared to 12 pipes so by locking some pipes there's a possibility that you can run your VGA at lower voltage.

sktir

Post by sktir » Sun May 14, 2006 1:55 am

I've tried it and it does not seem to make much difference. I think I may try selling the 6800 and get a 6600 or 6600 LE which will do the same purevideo decoding but draw less current. The other "small" issue I have is that the 6800 with its huge heatsink wont fit inside my Oveture II case !

scrandman

Post by scrandman » Tue May 16, 2006 12:37 pm

How far have you underclocked it? With my old Leadtek 6800NU (with stock massive copper heatsink and a 120mm @ 5V strapped on it) I used to underclock the core to 85 in 2D mode. It used to drop the temps to around 36C at idle.

With my current 7900GT, there's no need!

sktir

Post by sktir » Wed May 17, 2006 12:04 pm

I've only underclocked it a little down to 250mhz. I cant seem to get the memory to underclock at all. I'm tempted to try an Artic cooler but I'm unsure if that will fit due to the height of the case.