Help needed to remove video interference

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jubei

Help needed to remove video interference

Post by Jubei » Sat May 13, 2006 4:08 am

I recently built a pc around a MSI K8NGM2-FID in a Cooler Master Centurion 541 case (with 380W PSU). Everything is working fine except the LCD monitor flickers occassionally. This flickering is worse when I watch TV through a PCI TV Tuner card.

I know this is not the monitor's fault as I have similar experience on another LCD panel.

The Cooler Master mATX case inverts the placement of the mobo - by this I mean the CPU is near the bottom of the tower while the PCI slots are near the power supply on the top.

I was wondering whether the interference I'm getting on my monitor is due to the onboard video and TV Tuner card being close to the power supply. If this is so, is there anything I can do to shield the Tv Tuner??

Any other suggestions on what my problem may be??

hapveg

Post by hapveg » Sat May 13, 2006 10:57 am

I've no experience with LCD's, or TV tuner cards, but the only time I've had trouble with CRT's the cable itself was the problem. Did you use the same cable with both LCD's?

Trunks

Re: Help needed to remove video interference

Post by Trunks » Sat May 13, 2006 12:28 pm

Jubei wrote: I was wondering whether the interference I'm getting on my monitor is due to the onboard video and TV Tuner card being close to the power supply. If this is so, is there anything I can do to shield the Tv Tuner??
I did a quick experiment with my ATI tv wonder card. I help the brick PSU from a running note book near it and got all sorts of video glitchs. I could also here it in my speakers.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat May 13, 2006 12:41 pm

I was wondering whether the interference I'm getting on my monitor is due to the onboard video and TV Tuner card being close to the power supply. If this is so, is there anything I can do to shield the Tv Tuner??
Have you tried unscrewing the PSU from the case and moving it as far away from the mobo as possible? Does that make any difference? It could well be EMI from the PSU that is causing your problem, in one way or another. A solution would be to surround the PSU in tinfoil, but then how would it get airflow?

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Sat May 13, 2006 3:11 pm

I have a similar problem with my 9800pro. When using the S-Video out the TV has lines of grey that slowly go up the screen. Anyone have an idea on how to get rid of them?

Mark65

Post by Mark65 » Sat May 13, 2006 4:28 pm

Did You swap out the video cable? I had a bad DVI that flickered the blu spectrum once.

Jubei

Post by Jubei » Sat May 13, 2006 7:26 pm

Tried the PC with 2 different LCDs with 2 different DVI cables. Would it make any difference using D-Sub / VGA cable?