ASUS T2-AE1 Reviews?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

scrandman

ASUS T2-AE1 Reviews?

Post by scrandman » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:42 am

I see that ASUS have a new S754 barebones system out. It's the T2-AE1 - nice looking piece of kit which supports C&Q. Could make a nice quiet system. It's reasonably priced too.

Has anyone come across any reviews for it yet? I tried Googling, but all I get is links to thousands of retailers selling it.

Thanks

coconut

Post by coconut » Mon May 15, 2006 3:07 am

It's on SPCR's list of upcoming reviews. MikeC, any clues as to when we can expect to have it?

QuietOC, on this forum, has built a system based on this barebones case. QuietOC, would you be able to tell us just how quiet the system is? Go on, spill the beans!

I'm interested in this model, after failing to find a reputable UK retailer for the Pundit P2-AE2. Ebuyer has it for £111.61, but it doesn't come with the slimline combo drive (which pushes up the cost, if I have to buy it separately :( ), and I've heard so many horror stories about microdirect that I prefer to steer clear.

The T2-AE1 is more widely available, and user reviews elsewhere suggest that it's fairly quiet, but is it quiet to SPCR standards?

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Mon May 15, 2006 4:20 am

coconut wrote:QuietOC, on this forum, has built a system based on this barebones case. QuietOC, would you be able to tell us just how quiet the system is? Go on, spill the beans!
Well, it is fairly easy to make quiet. The included fans are quite loud at full speed, but I actually kept the system 100% stock for my mother-in-law. I just turned on both Q-Fan options to auto, and it is quiet enough for her. The fans do spin up at start up. I semi-isolated the Samsung SP2504C with some foam strips between the drive and the mounting bracket, but the drive is still pretty loud. The hard drive could have been suspended in the second 5-1/4" bay. Windows XP became corrupt after a week bcause I didn't jumper the Samsung for SATA-1 operation (Opps!).

It comes with an ASUS CPU heatsink with a very fast fan. However, the Zalman 7000Cu fit just fine with plenty of room. The power supply sits right above the CPU socket so no tower heatsinks for the Terminator. I'd recommend changing the rear 92mm exhaust fan. Replacing the stock fan with a Sanyo Denki Mini Ace improved things--and that isn't even a particularly quiet fan itself. The power supply fan is quieter than the others, and it is inside the supply not on the back of the case.

I have an older 90nm Sempron 3100+ in it undervolted using CrystalCPUID. No overclocking options, though ASUS does run the HT speed a tiny bit too fast. Much better memory compatibility with the Kingston HyperX than the VIA-based Pundit. Memory support up to DDR500. Built in SIS video works, but don't trying running games on it. There is a standard AGP 8X slot.

Besides Windows becoming corrupt, all-in-all it is a nice inexpensive system.

coconut

Post by coconut » Mon May 15, 2006 1:10 pm

QuietOC, thanks for your feedback. That clarifies a lot. With three fans in the system, even undervolted, I think it's probably going to be rather noisier than I'd be happy with. I'm used to using a passively cooled laptop in a very quiet room, and ideally I'd like a setup that's inaudible from a distance of 3ft.

dougz

Reader review of T2-AE1 w/ pictures

Post by dougz » Mon May 15, 2006 1:43 pm

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=55496
http://www.baconsarnie.com/asus_build/build_log.html

I'd like to build a small, relatively quiet box that is a bit bigger than the Shuttles. Barebones like the T2-AE1 are appealing because they are cost-effective, small, and relatively quiet. One downside is that they tend to use either SiS or Via chipsets, at least for AMD CPUs, with their inherent limitations & oddities. Intel CPU boxes tend to have better chipsets. Eg., http://www.asus.com/products1.aspx?l1=1

Are there barebone alternatives to selecting micro-ATX boards & boxes like the Antec Aria for people who want the next step up in quality in a small AMD system?

scrandman

Post by scrandman » Mon May 15, 2006 2:32 pm

Other than Shuttle, not really. Or at least that I have found.

Most of the Intel ones are based upon an Intel chipset of some description with the "Extreme" graphics.

I know what you mean though - it'd be nice to be able to get an AMD SFF barebones based on nForce 3 or 4.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue May 16, 2006 1:31 am

I'm used to using a passively cooled laptop
Out of interest, what brand and model of laptop are/were you using?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue May 16, 2006 4:19 am

scrandman wrote:I know what you mean though - it'd be nice to be able to get an AMD SFF barebones based on nForce 3 or 4.
Are you sure you searched.. at all?

Shuttle SN25P (S939 nForce4 Ultra)
Shuttle SN26P (S939 nForce4 SLI)
Shuttle SN21G5 (S939 GeForce 6100 / nForce 410)

Biostar iDEQ 330N (S939 GeForce 6100 / nForce 410)
Biostar iDEQ 330P (S939 nForce4)
Biostar iDEQ N1 (S754 GeForce 6100 / nForce 410)

I'm sure there's more.

dougz

Post by dougz » Tue May 16, 2006 6:25 am

rpsgc said
Are you sure you searched.. at all?
Well, scrandman did say
Other than Shuttle, not really. Or at least that I have found.
(emphasis added.)

However, my OP did state
I'd like to build a small, relatively quiet box that is a bit bigger than the Shuttles
(emphasis added.) As far as I can tell, scrandman is correct in saying that there are no barebones meeting my criteria.

It looks like an Antec Aria (or similar Micro-ATX "cube") with a Micro-ATX mobo/CPU meeting QuietOC's recommendations (nVidia 6100/6150 w/PCIe slot, Sempron 64 3000+ for CnQ) would best suit my needs. http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... highlight=

I like Shuttles, but need more space & flexibility. YMMV.

coconut

Post by coconut » Tue May 16, 2006 7:36 am

jaganath wrote:
I'm used to using a passively cooled laptop
Out of interest, what brand and model of laptop are/were you using?
Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pro V2000 (Pentium-M 1.5GHz, on-board graphics), based on the AOpen 1557 chassis. Not a power beast by any means, but the fan never kicks in during normal operation. It only comes on when running very intensive tasks (e.g. video encoding), and the computer is completely cool to the touch even after several hours of use. The only source of noise is the Momentus hard drive and even that isn't terribly annoying.

After much soul-searching, I decided to plump for the Pundit P2-AE2, as you had suggested to me in a previous thread. Hifriday's blog on silencing the Pundit was really helpful, but I haven't been able to locate a UK retailer for the Zalman 80x15 fan he used in place of the stock AMD fan. Any idea where I could get one? Even the Pundit itself is out of stock on most sites.
:(

nici

Post by nici » Tue May 16, 2006 7:54 am

You could get a 80x15mm Panaflo from Dorothy Bradbury :) 7.99£, should be easy to order too since your in the UK.

scrandman

Post by scrandman » Tue May 16, 2006 12:33 pm

@ rpsgc - I was responding to dougz's post, and the comments I made were relevant in the context made.

Anyway, I'm quite surprised - I made this post back in September last year. Nothing for 8 months then **boom** - about a dozen replies :lol:

Anyway, I kinda lost interest in the thought of going for the budget SFF myself. I decided to spend a bit more and get a nice full sized system which I put together about a week ago.

Abit KN8-SLI
Opteron 146 @ 2400 w. Scythe Ninja Plus @ ~3.5V
XFX 7900GT w. Zalman VF900 @ 5V
Seasonic S12 430W
Samsung SP2004
Housed in an Antec SLK3000B with 2 x 120mm @ 5V.

All in all, it's a very quiet & cool system - it's pretty kick ass too! I'm very happy with it.

I know I'm going a bit off topic here, but after 8 months of waiting for a reply, I'm probably entitled to go off on a rant! :lol:

dougz

Nice system!

Post by dougz » Tue May 16, 2006 3:44 pm

scrandman sez
Anyway, I kinda lost interest in the thought of going for the budget SFF myself. I decided to spend a bit more and get a nice full sized system which I put together about a week ago.
Yeah, you must be a happy camper. Kinda lost the budget part, but first-rate stuff. :)

I've learned a lot from watching threads like this. Given the thin margins, today's budget machines really do some heavy corner cutting. If one is picky, one has to forego pre-built & barebones. OTOH, there really is a place for less sophisticated machines. I'm still thinking about an ASUS Terminator as a cool-n-quiet budget home file & print server -- and I'll use the savings on my main box! :D

coconut

Post by coconut » Fri May 19, 2006 7:54 am

nici wrote:You could get a 80x15mm Panaflo from Dorothy Bradbury :) 7.99£, should be easy to order too since your in the UK.
Oops! I'd been there but hadn't scrolled down the page to the right fan! :oops: Thanks nici, I think I'll go for the Panaflo, if I decide to go ahead and order the Pundit.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread. Nice system you got there!