speedfan help - fans speed up and down too quickly

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cyberman

speedfan help - fans speed up and down too quickly

Post by cyberman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:05 pm

I'm having a problem with speedfan. It speeds up and slows down the fans too quickly, which is extremely irritating.

I'm running on an Asus A8R-MVP. Speedfan recognizes the temp sensors, reads rpm correctly (when fans aren't being pwmed), etc.

Anybody got a fix? Or another fan control program?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:37 pm

Try changing the delta value for the fan speeds down to 1. That way it will take longer to ramp them up or down.

cyberman

Post by cyberman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:44 pm

Rusty075 wrote:Try changing the delta value for the fan speeds down to 1. That way it will take longer to ramp them up or down.

Heh, oops. Looked through everything in the config dialog and completely missed that option until you mentioned it.

Thanks so much!

datapappan

Post by datapappan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:04 am

Actually that won't help much, since SpeedFan steps through those increments pretty quickly. The usual cure is to use only two speeds, much less annoying then constant ramping (unless you happen to find the spot where you just balance, which makes the fan go up and down pretty quickly). I've set my fan to minimum 60%, and increment to 40%, so it goes between 60 and 100%.

/ datapappan

dinofx

Post by dinofx » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:38 am

The algorithm SpeedFan uses for adjusting speed is one of the most brain-dead approaches I have ever seen. It never changes by more than the delta value. You can't assign different deltas to different fans. For example, I have one fan that goes from 24-60%, and another that goes from 25-90%. The first one maxes out before the second is half way "maxed". And, it never looks at CPU use, voltage, or multiplier changes. Another issue, for a given set of temps, you don't get a consistent setting of speeds. The settings are incremental based on the most recent setting plus the current data. This allows two different fans that should roughly be in sync to drift apart in speed because of one hitting its MAX before the other, or because it has different set of inputs affecting it.

Engine

Post by Engine » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:48 am

dinofx wrote:The algorithm SpeedFan uses for adjusting speed is one of the most brain-dead approaches I have ever seen.
I'm definitely not disagreeing, but have you considered telling him how to make it better?

[email protected]