MOUSE whine?!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:44 pm

I noticed a whine from near the optical sensor on my MX510 a while back, it really surprised me when I worked out where it was coming from. Most of the time, it doesn't bother me, but now, early on a Sunday morning when everything else is quiet and I've just been reading this thread and listening to my mouse up close... I'm thinking of leaving the room so I can forget about the noise, then hope I don't notice it when I come back in! :)

LH

Post by LH » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:27 pm

Besides the whine, the clicks of the MX518 sound louder and sharper than any mouse I've used previously. Anyway, I found a page that talks about the whine in detail: http://jdc.parodius.com/logitech/

I'm planning on buying an IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0. I briefly tried it out at a store and I really liked the ergonomics of it. I just hope its microswitches don't wear out quickly (a very common complaint)...oh yeah, it better not whine either... :wink:

krage

Post by krage » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:00 am

Next up, sound dampening mousepads!

steveo

Post by steveo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:15 pm

haha, i have an 11 dollar optical mouse from Wal-Mart that is 2 and a half years old, and i freaking love it! of course, i don't game, but it has a great feel, and thing the scroll has perfect resistance. Oh, and no whine period.

-tito-

Post by -tito- » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:52 pm

Let me say you people are amazing.

I just held mine to my ear and I can hear it!

I believe noise is one of those things where once you hear it you can't get it out of your mind and it just becomes more and more apparent.

Sigh, why did I find you SPCR :P

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:56 am

I've been documenting this problem for years. Logitech has denied it, and they have literally shut me out from speaking to them any longer about it (demanding all communication with them be done via fax for record keeping).

http://jdc.parodius.com/

Audio clips are there.

The important thing to note here: none of you are alone. This problem exists, and it needs to get solved. Logitech keeps shipping out *fantastic* mice, but with this one serious problem! It's frustrating.

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:52 am

But I have a Logitech MediaPlay Cordless Mouse, that is wireless and optical, and that is completely silent! Maybe it's sample variance. FTR I have also a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, and a Targus Rainbow laptop mouse, and neither of them whine either.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:00 am

Does anyone have a Logitech G5 and have noticed this problem? I know the G5 is listed on koitsu's interesting web page, but I just wonder how prevailent it is...

According to the page it seems to only affect newer, maybe higher performance mouses. I have an older, basic Logitech optical mouse and it doesn't make any noise I can hear.

I wonder if any of the solutions for reducing coil whine on motherboards (ie, siliconing parts) would help if it is actually the electronics making this noise.

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:27 pm

BrianE wrote:Does anyone have a Logitech G5 and have noticed this problem? I know the G5 is listed on koitsu's interesting web page, but I just wonder how prevailent it is...

According to the page it seems to only affect newer, maybe higher performance mouses. I have an older, basic Logitech optical mouse and it doesn't make any noise I can hear.
I can confirm that some very old Logitech mice (older than the Dual MouseMan) do not exhibit this problem. At my workplace there's a Logitech two-button + scroll mouse on one of our Macs which is dead quiet.

It boils down to Logitech changing electronic components used inside of their mice. Why they've changed the IR transmitter/receptor, I don't know (it's only used for the scroll wheel, not for tracking!).

Regarding the G5 specifically: the 2nd revision of the G5 (which has two side buttons vs. the rev 1 having only 1) still exhibits the noise documented here, but in the case of the two G5 rev2 mice I tried, the noise is completely tolerable (only audible if you literally stick your face against the mouse :) ). I consider this an improvement.

Sadly the G5 side buttons are nothing like the MX510/518 buttons, and are too easily pressed (they're "soft"). I don't like that very much, but it's a matter of preference.

lechuck

Post by lechuck » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:46 am

Has anybody tested Logi mice recently, or are they still the same shit in terms of noise/whine?

I'd go for new MX or VX, but will not repeat MX510 disaster.

sitalchauhan

Post by sitalchauhan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:02 pm

My Logitech G5 (2nd Rev with 2 Buttons) makes an extremely faint noise when put RIGHT up against my ear in a dead silent room, I really have to try hard to listen for it. With my ear about 1inch away from the mouse I cannot hear it at all.

My MX Revolution is completely silent with no noise what so ever from the mosue :)