HiS - Radeon X1900 XT ICEQ3 is is Silent/Quiet? DAMN YES!!!

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

oscar3d

HiS - Radeon X1900 XT ICEQ3 is is Silent/Quiet? DAMN YES!!!

Post by oscar3d » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:00 pm

Guys, you are the knowledgeable ones:

Do any of you have a HIS X1900XT with IceQ3 cooling technology?

See this:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/342/

Is it more silent and cool, more silent than the what do you guys think of this one.

I have it on target $$$. The reason I don't want an Artcic Accelero X2, or a VF900 blowing air into the case. And by the contrary I want a silent solution for a top of the line card, blowing air outside the case.

Any feedback on this choice?

Thanks guys
Last edited by oscar3d on Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:26 pm

Any input?

whoatethepies

Post by whoatethepies » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:50 pm

Well I don't have one but as no one else has replied... From what I've heard they are quieter than the stock cooler but not by much (therefore it is NOT silent/quiet!). However it is a better design, so the chip will run cooler in general. From what I've heard there is no ideal solution yet. A 7900GTX may be a better bet...

Webmonkey

Q

Post by Webmonkey » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:55 pm

whoatethepies wrote:Well I don't have one but as no one else has replied... From what I've heard they are quieter than the stock cooler but not by much (therefore it is NOT silent/quiet!). However it is a better design, so the chip will run cooler in general. From what I've heard there is no ideal solution yet. A 7900GTX may be a better bet...
I thought those IceQ cooler were supposed to be not just ¨quieter than stock¨ but much quiter than stock..

I am also interested in coolilng that blow the hot air out of the case instead of letting it recirculate inside...

The 7900GTX is also on my wish list.. if it really is quiet... so many sites claim it is quite.. probably compared to all those screaming stock coolers, but probably not SPCR quiet......

The new Arctic cooler for 7900GT boards should be out in august..

whoatethepies

Post by whoatethepies » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:21 am

Well they'll tell you its quiet, but then so does everyone these days (see: SilentX)! :roll: From what I've heard it isn't good enough to be judged as quiet. As for the 7900GTX, some people have posted saying they're very quiet for a VGA card, better even than many aftermarket solutions. They aren't as powerful as the X1900XTX, but then its a trade-off I guess..

Webmonkey

Post by Webmonkey » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:34 am

whoatethepies wrote:Well they'll tell you its quiet, but then so does everyone these days (see: SilentX)! :roll: From what I've heard it isn't good enough to be judged as quiet. As for the 7900GTX, some people have posted saying they're very quiet for a VGA card, better even than many aftermarket solutions. They aren't as powerful as the X1900XTX, but then its a trade-off I guess..

hey!

that is my ¨problem¨ with the GTX reference design... that it is supposed to be so damn quiet... sound too good to be true :D
I just have a hard time believing it...

I currently have a P180 case with 2 120mm tricool fans running at low, an S12-500W and a 92mm 23dB Papst on my CPU cooler as noise sources/references... I wonder if the GTX cooller i noisier, quieter or same level....

I do not mind shelling out for the GTX if it is really that silent...

as long as I do not have water or passive cooling on everythign, then passive cooled gfx card does not really matter that much

:x

whoatethepies

Post by whoatethepies » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:49 am

There was a thread a while back where someone posted their thoughts on the GTX. Said they considered it very quiet, maybe even quieter than the Zalman VF900-Cu (I think thats what they're called..) at 5v which is good! Only one opinion, but its a good one, and from an SPCR'er too. I'm getting one too, if that's any recommendation... :D

whoatethepies

Post by whoatethepies » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:50 am

If you can wait, I should be getting mine this coming week, all being well. I'll let you know what I think if you like?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:57 am

whoatethepies wrote:There was a thread a while back where someone posted their thoughts on the GTX. Said they considered it very quiet, maybe even quieter than the Zalman VF900-Cu (I think thats what they're called..) at 5v which is good! Only one opinion, but its a good one, and from an SPCR'er too. I'm getting one too, if that's any recommendation... :D
This perhaps?

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:56 am

I got my HIS X1900XTX IceQ3 coming next moday. I will let you guys know how it is.

Webmonkey

Post by Webmonkey » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:11 am

oscar3d wrote:I got my HIS X1900XTX IceQ3 coming next moday. I will let you guys know how it is.
THNX!!! :D

Webmonkey

Post by Webmonkey » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:12 am

whoatethepies wrote:If you can wait, I should be getting mine this coming week, all being well. I'll let you know what I think if you like?
thank you very much... I look forward to hearing about it...

Being as quiet or better than a zalman at 5v... just sounds tooo good...

whoatethepies

Post by whoatethepies » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:38 pm

I may forget to post back here... I just finished uni so I'm spending the vast majority of my time in a state of alcohol-induced stupour. Keep an eye on the System Gallery threads, I'll probably post there when its built. Here's hoping its as good as its purported to be..

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:47 am

I got my HIS X1900XTX IceQ3 installed in my machine. And the first words that came from me where "Oh my god!!"

I don't have a db Measure tool, but you guys know how a silence freak I am. And all I have to say is : BOY THIS CARD IS QUIET!!! :-)

I finally conquered silence on a high-end rig!! WOOHOO!

I will post pictures when I can.

So this is how it is the HIS X1900XTX IceQ3.

-The card is long in size, but no longer than a X850XT with an ATI Silencer 5. Indeed this card is much thinner.

- The heatsink is made of copper entirely, and the heatpipe is beautifully put on it. I reacts to UV and I must say this is the most beautiful well made video card I've ever had in my hands.

Noise:

When you turn on the computer, on boot, the card emits a noticeable air blow, but I would say 40% more dubbed than the stock fan.

Then after 5 seconds, COMPLETE Silence! I could not believe my ears. I opened the case to see what was going on... yes everything fine, the fan spinning, but no noise. Even an Arctic Cooling silencer is more noisier than this.

Opened ATI tool, check the temps 41C on idle, and ambien temperature in my place 80F. Wow, this is an X1900XTX.

Played Oblivion and Battlefield for about 3 hours, all settings high. After an hour of playing I heard a fan spinning increase, that created a pleasurable soft air blowing noise, that kept there until I finished playing.
This noise is comparable to the noise I hear from an Arctic Cooling Accelero on Idle. (What they call quiet)

When I go back to desktop, again, COMPLETE SILENCE!! Temps on the card after 3 hours on the core 72C :-)

Conclusion:

I'm so happy I took the risk of getting this card. I sold my former original ATI X1900XTX and got this one for $529-$20 rebate at: www.monarchcomputer.com

I have to say, sincerely and without doubt, the HIS X1900XTX is worth every single penny I pay. I'm not advertising the card, I think I'm so happy with it, that I'm just sharing happiness. :-)

I think this one could be reviewed by SPCR, if they want. I know, it might be expensive to get. But this is the first time I find a high-end power consuming card, be finally quiet. A product that puts Arctic Accelero and VF900 or any current competitor on their knees.

Worth getting it.

Thanks!!

nina

Post by nina » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:22 pm

Impressive! But it may be at that high price.
Nearly the same price as a playstation 3. :)

nina

Post by nina » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:18 pm

I'm a happy girl for the moment.
My parents wants to buy me a new videocard!
A late birthday present. Woaw!
Budget : 225 EUR.

So now I can't wait to order a HIS videocard, but I noticed
two different ones, that are about the same price (210 EUR)

The HIS X850XT IceQ II Turbo Dual DVI VIVO 256MB PCIe (which uses the iTurbo soft)
and
the HIS X1800GTO IceQ3 Turbo Dual DL-DVI VIVO 256MB PCIe
(which doesn't use iTurbo, it's fixed overclocked)

THe X1800GTO can be flashed to a X1800XL, thus having also 16 pixel shader as the X850XT.

Is the iTurbo a benefit? Is it more silent, or gives it more control with
a IceQ2 than the IceQ3 without iTurbo?

I read several reviews, both cards are good, but I can't choose.
I'm just wondering if iTurbo gives more options.

One thing that I don't find anywhere, what about the psu fan noise
with a more high end videocard.
You don't mention it either. Since such videocards draw more power
from the psu (I have a Seasonic S12 430) than my current NX6600,
I presume that the fan speed of the psu will be higher, thus making
more noise. Am I correct about this, or totally wrong?
For the moment the S12 spins around 780 rpm during gaming
with the NX6600, which I can't hear as my HDs idle noise is louder.

How much rpms does your seasonic while gaming with your HIS video card?

If you can help me with my desiscion. Somebody else told me to go
for the X1800GTO, but I'm not sure. IceQ2 with iTurbo or IceQ3 without?

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:52 pm

Nina, I really don't know much about turbo.

As far as silent, I would go with the IceQ3 version, because it has an improved fan, and also better cooling, if you ever want to overclock it and take it more to the extreme.

Webmonkey

Post by Webmonkey » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:32 am

oscar3d wrote:Nina, I really don't know much about turbo.

As far as silent, I would go with the IceQ3 version, because it has an improved fan, and also better cooling, if you ever want to overclock it and take it more to the extreme.

can anyone tell how this ICEQ3 cooler compared the 7900GTX reference design..?????

riddles

Post by riddles » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:33 am

oscar! kudos on the buy and thank you very much...
i was thinking of betting the sapphire 1900XT and then buying the Accelero x2, but after reading your post i think i will just go for the ICEQ3 version.

i am also getting the p180B case to use with this card so hopefully i will have a similar experience...

Would yous say that you can sleep easily in the same roon as the PC?

Edit:
there is also this cooler... ah the quest ever ends...
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/L ... -w0052.asp

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:58 am

Hi:

If you can sleep with a HIS Radeon X1900XTX with ICEQ3?

My answer is YES. I can say so far it's the best +$500 in computer hardware I've ever spent. I's been more than 2 weeks with this beauty,

Ambient temps in California are 85F, (summer). Played games for 4 hours straight and this card hardly reaches 76C on load, and quietly.

All I can say I'm so happy with it, that if this card ever dies on me, I would buy another generic X1900XTX, and take the cooler on the HIS and install it there.

I just can't believe that I finally got the solution to my prayers. :-)

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:01 am

About the water cooler you showed me. I've put my eyes on it before moving to the HIS IceQ 3.

The problem with that water cooling solution, is that I'm not sure if the fan is silent, and also keeps the air inside the case. That's why I moved to the ICeQ3, because it exhausts the air outside the case.

Spontz

Post by Spontz » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:30 am

Would the same be true of the X1900GT with this cooler? The logical answer would be 'yes,' of course, but I've learned that logic and video cards don't always go together. :)

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:58 pm

Just make sure that whatever you get from HIS comes with the IceQ 3 (Revision 3) . Don't get IceQ2 or IceQ, make sure it says "3"

:-)

If NVidia or ATI are using the same cooler revision Im positive it would be as silent as mine

ceselb

Post by ceselb » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:31 pm

Are the non 3 versions much louder? I'm planning to get the his X1600PRO ICEQ card. It's ok if it ramps up while gaming, but at desktop I want it reasonably quiet.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:42 pm

ceselb wrote:Are the non 3 versions much louder? I'm planning to get the his X1600PRO ICEQ card. It's ok if it ramps up while gaming, but at desktop I want it reasonably quiet.
If it isn't an iceq3, it's an arctic silencing vga cooler, whichever fits that specific card, just rebranded as an HIS ICEQ. Still quiet, but not silent.

psionic

Post by psionic » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:50 pm

I'm sure the IceQ is way quieter than stock for a X1900XTX, but there sheer size of the GPU and amount of heat generated by that card tells me that it would have a hard time competing against the 7900GTX in the silence department. The 7900GTX GPU runs so cool that even when overclocked you can hard set the fan at 700rpm (maybe even lower, haven't tried yet) for 24/7 use. Yes, even after 2 hours of Call Of Duty 2 at 1680X1050 with 4x AA and AF the card is perfectly happy with such a low amount of airflow.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissin' the HIS IceQ X1900XTX! Believe me, I would strongly consider that exact card if I was building another gaming rig.

Congrats!

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:49 am

I haven't tried the 7900 that you mention, though I'm glad that it's quiet. I think everything should move towards silence, and consumers should start avoiding "hairblowers" at all costs.

Before I bought my ICEQ3 card, I read reviews of previous versions "IceQ" and "IceQ2", and indeed these versions are less louder than the stock, but not quite silent, until I heard about the ICEQ3.

In my experience I can say that my XTX1900 ICEQ3, is more silent than every Arctic Cooling solution I tried in the past including : AC ATI Silencer 5 Rev.2 and the infamous Accelero X2.

If you are an NVIDA person, then the above mentioned card shall be your solution.

If you are an ATI guy, thenI encourage you to not buy the Acceleros, stay away from them.
If you really have love for your machine, and do care about your time making it and upgrading, and the money you spend on it, go for the ICEQ3 solution.