Anti-SPCR Responses

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shadowknight

Anti-SPCR Responses

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:29 am

Found the following on Anantech Hardware forums today:
I have two Lian Li cases and could careless what the cry baby silence freaks over at SPCR have to say about any case. They helped Anwerc give you guys the POS P-180 with all it's documented problems Or the P-150 with it's HDD dropping, breaking rubber bands Just buy the Black P-180 with the SPCR logo on it and be happy.

The only thing worth the read over at SPCR, are the PSU reviews, as long as you don't buy into thier silence freak religion and the tutorials. Read thier cry baby forums for fun.

I will give high praise to the few over there that have designed and built thier own cases

...Galvanized
Thoughts as to why some people get obnoxious over stuff like this, despite quiet computing having gotten more and more popular over the last couple of years?

Has anyone else run into obnoxiousness like this?

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:36 am

Wow, that's some vitriolic stuff. Would be much more readable if the obnoxious poster would learn how to use, or rather how NOT to use apostrophes properly!

El Doug

Post by El Doug » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:40 am

Not everyone sees silence as a priority... but that gentleman needs to reevaluate his manners :?

But in reality, this is one guy posting on one forum. It is not an official document from Anandtech, and it most certainly is not a featured article in the forums. Sounds mostly like he's trying to convince himself that his purchases were not in vain

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:16 pm

If SPCR is so crappy he/she can just ignore it, right? :roll: I don't listen to music or game at full blast 24/7 and actually sleep a cpouple meters from the computers, and im a light sleeper, so they do need to be pretty quiet. Sleeping with the machine on was the thing that made me look into silent computing a few years ago.

If i have a computer, why not make it as quiet as possible? I don't need my ears to hurt or headaches if i can avoid it by choosing my components wisely.. :P

Continuing with that guys attitude, im too lazy to search for the whole thread, but that m444D 0verCl0OokzZzorzZZ! spoiled moron seems like he has never used either the P150 or the P180, and his daddy probably built a nuclear power plant for him as a birthday present to power his rig.

You would think any decently smart person would just not give a damn if he or she finds something stupid. I don´t go crapping on peoples lawns because they drive ugly and slow cars or own dogs the size of a rat. Why should i care?

EDIT: Im a curious bastard, linky

With the smilies it doesn´t seem that bad.

And the general assumption over there seems to be that obviously a lian li is better than an antec, wich in this case is just plain wrong. Ok so the lian-li has better build quality, but the P180 works better. I would still pick a Lian Li over the P180, but not the 101.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:06 pm

I suppose to outsiders SPCR must seem pretty strange; after all, who cares how much noise PC's make, right? 8) :shock: :oops:

In general, both at governmental level and in everyday life, noise is not taken seriously as a nuisance and a threat to wellbeing and a precursor to stress; jet planes, motorways, roadworks, loud in-car sound and entertainment systems, the impact on people affected by these noise nuisances is assumed to be minimal.

Also, the ethos on SPCR is diametrically opposite to the usual brash, go-faster, window-having, cold-cathode using, oversized-PSU owning PC modding crowd; it's almost exactly the same situation as a guy with a souped-up hot-rod ridiculing a guy who drives a Honda Civic because it gets good mileage.

I must say I am very happy with the quietness of my PC now, and nothing any detractor could say would persuade me to give up silencing both as a hobby and a way to improve my day-to-day quality of life. People are spending more and more time using computers, whether it's at work or at home, and the detrimental health effects from continuous, broad-spectrum noise will become more and more apparent IMO.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:23 pm

El Doug wrote:Not everyone sees silence as a priority... but that gentleman needs to reevaluate his manners :?

But in reality, this is one guy posting on one forum. It is not an official document from Anandtech, and it most certainly is not a featured article in the forums. Sounds mostly like he's trying to convince himself that his purchases were not in vain
Eh, I was primarly posting about responses people have seen from individual users. I never saw this as an official proclamation by Anandtech, just a particuarly virtioul attitude by one person.
Continuing with that guys attitude, im too lazy to search for the whole thread, but that m444D 0verCl0OokzZzorzZZ! spoiled moron seems like he has never used either the P150 or the P180, and his daddy probably built a nuclear power plant for him as a birthday present to power his rig.
Actually, he bought the P180 and experienced the issue with the warped doors from the early production samples. Even though he knew Antec had fixed this and offered free replacements he returned it and has been badmouthing the P180 ever since. Even when the "fixed" versions were unavailable, it's still been the most popular case I've seen recommended anywhere. The only complaints I run into now are about the cable lengths which, for some reason, people aren't willing to spend $5 on an extension cable. Moreover, some PSUs have enough slack to reach the top of the motherboard, just not enough to do the super-neat wiring which has been envogue for awhile. Really, the majority of computer builders don't really care about how neat the wiring is, so most people will just plug stuff in and use the computer from there.
And the general assumption over there seems to be that obviously a lian li is better than an antec, wich in this case is just plain wrong. Ok so the lian-li has better build quality, but the P180 works better. I would still pick a Lian Li over the P180, but not the 101.
Personally, I've never seen what's so great about the LLs that get them recommended so much, but to each their own.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:38 pm

jaganath wrote:In general, both at governmental level and in everyday life, noise is not taken seriously as a nuisance and a threat to wellbeing and a precursor to stress; jet planes, motorways, roadworks, loud in-car sound and entertainment systems, the impact on people affected by these noise nuisances is assumed to be minimal.
A historical note: once upon a time, the US Gov became hell on noise. Passed laws, enforced them through a well-funded Office of Noise Control. Then we had another election. The new prez, a failed actor who was once second banana to a chimpanzee, established a new annual budget for the ONC: zero dollars total.

Nobody in the US Gov has ever proposed curbs on acoustic noise ever since.

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:54 pm

jaganath wrote:it's almost exactly the same situation as a guy with a souped-up hot-rod ridiculing a guy who drives a Honda Civic because it gets good mileage.
What do you mean? :?

JazzJackRabbit

Re: Anti-SPCR Responses

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:19 pm

Shadowknight wrote:Thoughts as to why some people get obnoxious over stuff like this, despite quiet computing having gotten more and more popular over the last couple of years?

Has anyone else run into obnoxiousness like this?
I frequent anandtech for their hot deals forum, but not for anything else. There is a fairly simple reason for that: a fairly large percentage, if not majority, of anandtech members are jerks and/or brain impaired. If you don't believe me try reading their "off-topic" forum, you'll immideately get the feeling that the average anandtech age is <17 and average IQ is <80.

Not my kind of thing.

In any case I agree with jaganath, and I suppose that's why most of us are here. I keep my PC always on when I'm awake and when I'm listening to the music I prefer to hear music and not droning of 5 delta fans, when I work on my school projects deep in the evening/at night I don't want computer noise break my concentration. My silver P180 may not be the prettiest case in the world (although it's fairly decent, black would have been great), and at times it's a pain to set it up, it also has some craftsmanship problems, there is no denying that, but it gets the job done and wonderfully at that. It allows me to get the most out of my fans, keeping them at minimum RPMs possible. And that's what matters most.

You bling'ify your case to show off to your friends, you'll feel good for 5 minutes when they oooh and aaaaah, but then you're stuck with loud rig for years. 5 minutes of fame is not worth years of torture.

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:24 pm

You can blingify your case and have it remain quiet, you just have to know what you're doing :P

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:04 am

nici wrote:You can blingify your case and have it remain quiet, you just have to know what you're doing :P
You can even overclock everything and still have it remain quiet. Furthermore, mods of this kind would earn the author much more respect than that buy-and-install bling stuff.

P.S. My new gaming vidcard :).

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:47 am

The grapes they are sour!

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:55 am

I visit anandtech on a regular basis; I like their articles, for the most part. They're like a semi-reputable version of THG.

Still, shouldn't confuse Anandtech with its readers--this guy isn't really worth getting bent out of shape about.

Oh, and spcr.com's forums are probably my favorite to visit. :D

justblair

Post by justblair » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:59 am

nici wrote:You can blingify your case and have it remain quiet, you just have to know what you're doing :P
I agree... Equally you can case mod without the bling.

I have an admission to make :oops:

I have been seeing some other forums behind your backs! I have found some of the modding forums to be very useful in giving me ideas and info for my current HTPC. Its not that those forums are better looking than this its just that I like them in another kind of way. Over at

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/foru ... php?t=3356

I am getting some suggestions for the case.. Funnily enough its the silencing bit that is attracting the discussion... One guy even cooked up a plan to use electrified mesh to ionise the air and stimulate airflow! I'm not even sure wether thats good science? But it shows that the modders aren't just obsessed with turbine fans and oneguzillion watt power supplies.

On the other hand there are a few teenage bottom aperatures kicking about who will spout effluent as if they know it all.

Imagine that a teengager thinking they know it all...

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:46 am

One guy even cooked up a plan to use electrified mesh to ionise the air and stimulate airflow! I'm not even sure whether thats good science?
a) yes it will work, but not very well,

b) it will require high voltages, which are dangerous

c) it will produce ozone, which is harmful to humans and especially the respiratory system

d) it will probably be noisier and less efficient than a very slow fan

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_wind for more details.

So are you in an "open" relationship with SPCR now? :evil: :lol: :D

justblair

Post by justblair » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:08 am

Yep, an open relationship it is.. I go out to other forums and then come back here and tell you all the gory details...

Its the technoperv version of kinky!! :wink:

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:45 pm

Beyonder wrote:Still, shouldn't confuse Anandtech with its readers--this guy isn't really worth getting bent out of shape about.
No, it's only not worth getting bent out of shape about from elsewhere.

It's not only not worth getting bent out of shape about on another forum, it's even a bit pathetic, kind of like the muslims rioting about political cartoons in another country.

Now, if you're on neutral territory(ie. not an acknowledged hive of megahertz junkies), and if you run into someone talking like that about SPCR, then by all means, let the kerosene spill all over. Extra points if you get the jerk to loose karma for it.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:20 am

it's even a bit pathetic, kind of like the muslims rioting about political cartoons in another country.

Err, is that just about the worst analogy ever made? How many people died and how much property was destroyed in those riots? Also, the scale of the "insult" is of totally different orders of magnitude; the one mentioned in the OP is some dweeb trash-talking on an internet forum, the other is a scurrilous denigration of the central figure of one of the wold's major monotheistic religions.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:32 am

Humm.....I think you left out an adjective. It should have read "the world's major monotheistic terrorism tolorating religions".

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:35 am

Bluefront wrote:Humm.....I think you left out an adjective. It should have read "the world's major monotheistic terrorism tolorating religions".
See my response to your post in Off-Topic (which is where this belongs).

breunor

Post by breunor » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:46 am

Bluefront wrote:Humm.....I think you left out an adjective. It should have read "the world's major monotheistic terrorism tolorating religions".
Sadly, many religions have been used as an excuse to harm others. How many hundreds of thousands of arabs were killed during the various crusades, and how many thousands were wiped out/enslaved as part of the colonization of "godless, barbaric cultures"? :(

Yes it is easier to just hate a large group/country/ideology, but then that sword's double-edged. :(

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:09 am

Oh for god's sake, KNOCK IT OFF!